Taking An Art Class At Age 81 3/4 ...

Dickkooty2

Thank you for sharing these!

You are so right about the Orange Door; I think a bit of Orange is always a "good thing!"

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dickkooty2

• Bluey

• darazs

• therecorder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another diary entry for me:

Stealing at Christmas time ...

1 A granddaughter sent me a pair of slippers. You can guess what i thought of as a thank-you note:

fpn_1513300971__screen_shot_2017-12-14_a

2. I needed 16 Christmas gift tags. I also collect mid-century portable typewriters.

I had just received an Olivetti Christmas ad supporting the Lettera 22, one of my favorites! A Santa defined by white negative space is carrying a Lettera 22.

Hmmmm. And so ...[fpn_1513301699__screen_shot_2017-12-14_a

I also include three Pelikans with their catch to show that in spite of having put together 15 16 examples of great typewriters and the ephemers of their times, I am still a pen guy!

Further to the above just in case anyone else is interested in typewriters.

All I am doing is accumulating mid-century portables whose design I like or that have an external history

I have 5 Hermes (Swiss) - 1933, '37, '47, '62 Babys ( showing design changes as the classic postwar model developed) and a '62 Rocket, the replacement for the Baby.

2 Erikas a '38 S and a '52 9 (German)

1 Olivetti Lettera 22. '52 (Italian)

1 Olivetti Valentine '60 (?) A red heavy larger portable designed by Ettore Sottsass of Memphis design group in Milan

1 @ Gössen Tippi, Gorma Kolibri, Cole-Steel,(German) ... all mid-fifties. The Kolibri was the hidden typewriter in "The Lives of Others".

1 Brother '62 first low design in the States. Japanese and sold by Monkey-Ward under the Signature 100 label

1 Royal Safari '64. Looks like the styling on '50-'60 cars. the blue and white color scheme was on my Chevy BelAir. This is my only US Model.

1 Olympia MS9 early '60s - big and heavy but there is an interesting book featuring paintings of the typewriter in various moods. (German) You could pack for a long weekend in its' case.

No Smith-Corona?

Was sad to learn our trusty family typewriter was sold in a house sale. My electric at the time was by far less a satisfactory machine.

When the S-C required repair mid-college course, the broken part was cat-gut. I did Not ask how he effected the repair, but it was back in full manual working order in a few days.

I've never seen a machine like this since, or I would have replaced it. It had such a sturdy and yet smooth feel. The electric is stored/abandoned somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

A footnote necessary (alas) to seeing Santa where I thought white space would work (#62 above):

fpn_1515440298__unnamed.jpg

I didn't include a clue or two and/or the white space was too separated. No one got it. Back to the drawing board!

No Smith-Corona?

Was sad to learn our trusty family typewriter was sold in a house sale. My electric at the time was by far less a satisfactory machine.

When the S-C required repair mid-college course, the broken part was cat-gut. I did Not ask how he effected the repair, but it was back in full manual working order in a few days.

I've never seen a machine like this since, or I would have replaced it. It had such a sturdy and yet smooth feel. The electric is stored/abandoned somewhere.

I have just added a Smith-Corona Skywriter and an SCM Corsair (made in England) on the recommendation of the typewriter buffs at the Typewriter Talk blog. In the low-profile mid-century design I am looking for.

Hi there!

impressive footage, processed using?:

http://fixthephoto.com/blog/

Hi, noyolo,

My stuff are just plain jpgs shot with my old Panasonic Lumix with the Leica lens. I've carried it for years. I don't have a phone/camera/transporter/juice-o-matic.

Probably you meant this compliment for someone else!

Best,

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

One of three from Christmas:

In the store at Peru, Vermont over Christmas ...

fpn_1516834160__peru_final.jpeg

... two to go - the Goose and the Tree, and Ruby at rest (woof).

• 2 weeks later...

Another lesson : beware of overworking the simple!

Twas Christmas at the Spielhaus with family including Ruby. I made a quick sketch of her in a small notebook with my pen ...

fpn_1518117613__ruby_sketch.jpeg

... thinking I would do up a larger finished version when I returned to the Hood.

Well, I tried and tried again. But the results lacked the spontaneity and life of the quick jotting!

So I just sent on the original and several versions that didn't work. I also typed a note using the Groma Kalibri explaining why. A pastiche of interests, at least for me : drawing, pens, and typewriters. I guess this is what olde guys do.

[url=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1518118270__kaloibri_note_and_ruby.jpg]fpn_1518118270__kaloibri_note_and_ruby.j[

That keyboard allows for Polish ... a number of accented letters are available. There is an umlaut, so German can be typed ( 'a', 'o'.'u'), although the umlaut (über) doesn't work on the three needed capital letters and there is no 'double s" ß (used in lower case only), as in 'straße'. French can be typed with the inclusion of the five accent marks. Pretty flexible for European use. Of course, since these are 50s-60s machines, no euro € is around.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement, Christina! I am enjoying my self.

And I know you are absolutely right on watercolor. I have mucked around as part of the class instructions. I have handled them at a level to be three questions deep, rather than one where I started. This is not easy for my teacher, who believes very much as you do. I have done the introduction to the techniques, trying to find my way.

Here, if you can make these out are some notes from my pad as I worked my way through a version of an oli in a typical New England composition:

[/url]">http://http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-04%20at%202.35.13%20PM_zpsveomr3ef.png[/url

I started out with good intentions and have actually produced nicer results with water color in other little studies. But I felt something needed to come out here rather than the usual postcard. So I switched to ink and markers in a full composition, and then reduced it to the essence that I think I see (and who the hell knows).

When you are looking 82 in the face and want to do something, time becomes a consideration. If I don't like working in a medium, I'm not going to spend my time learning it. To the consternation of my teacher who did think our next section was going to be drawing trees.

Reduced to the elements ... woof woof a steal from David Hockney's series on his dogs:

">http://http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Scan%203_zpsy63izfuo.jpeg

Thank you again for your encouragement and interest!

Dick

fpn_1519597965__screen_shot_2018-02-25_a

Came back from 60th reunion with some campus thoughts. Off-angle views of popular tourist views. Have a triptych in mind, but not of these buildings and featuring the architectural lettering as it varies with age built.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Scan%20copy%203_zpsp2i0xjck.jpg[/u

RL]

College color is purple. trying for some mood inclusion. Don't know. May be over thinking. Just wanted to use purple. There was quite a lot of it around.

fpn_1519598145__screen_shot_2018-02-25_a

Yes, I am trying to restore some of what has been lost to Photobucket ... not that the value was high, but I was really PO'ed!

Please let me know if this is working. Hopefully you will see my original post with the pirates seal but under it the plundered picture as an addition. I can actually bring up the original comment and pix with an app insitu. I then take a screen shot, edit, and upload to the FPN server. Then I just 'quote' the particular comment and add the new upload.

Does this work on these new comment repeats?

I can see that I have done this replacement two ways: as a direct replacement in the original and as an addition in a 'quote'. I'll figure out which works most easily if the pictures can be seen at all.

... having fun. Messing around at the Hood River Library's old and new sections. Pen and ink and markers.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Tryp%2012%20%205-16_zpsofq8vxnj.png

... having fun. Messing around at the Hood River Library's old and new sections. Pen and ink and markers.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Tryp%2012%20%205-16_zpsofq8vxnj.png

fpn_1519597519__screen_shot_2018-02-25_a

Sorry about repetitive posts: trying to get some pix back up after PhotoBucket kidnap!

Dick