The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman & Lamy

waterman caréne lamy studio lamy studio palladium caran dache léman parker premier

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2016 - 19:55

Dear FPNers,

I have four FPs

- Lamy Studio Palladium

- Waterman Carène

- Parker Premier

- Caran d'Ache Léman

but only use the first two. I wrote with the Parker a couple of times, but never inked the CdA – I think I don't have a "suitable" environment for them.

Regarding the Waterman and the Lamy, both write nicely, but I prefer the Waterman. The Lamy is a bit too wet and, while the Carène writes without ANY resistance, I feel the Studio Palladium... not to be "scratchy", but kind of tending to offer resistance to some movements over the paper. I can assure that the M nib of the Lamy is in perfect condition.

I would like to read the experiences of those of you write or have written with both.

Marcelo

Sponsored Content

#2 Old_Inkyhand

Old_Inkyhand

Horse sense: stable inking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2016 - 20:59

I haven't written with the Studio, but I've written with Lamy's standard gold nibs and they were usually very smooth and a bit bouncy.

I have a Carene, it is smooth and it is a real pleasure to write with, if you have a proper ink. It is very rigid. 

I have a Premier as well. Sometimes I love it, sometimes not really. It depends on the ink. I have tried a few inks in each pen and I absolutely love both of them with GvFC inks. 

I have never written anything with the Caran d'Ache.

#3 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:05

Can't you at least use the CdA at home? I mean it's such a great pen it's a waste not to use it, unless you plan on selling it.

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:40

I have four Carenes with EF, F, M and L (broad) nibs.  I use the EF.

Different makers' pens have different characteristics, like the width of any nominal sized nib and how smooth it is.  I think Pelikan takes the cake for smoothness, and the M1000 OBBB I had was like writing on ice with an icicle.

It seems like you are buying up models of pens and not the low end pens.  I think that is wise, and the nicer models of pens I have had have given me a great deal more satisfaction than low end pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 14:07

Can't you at least use the CdA at home? I mean it's such a great pen it's a waste not to use it, unless you plan on selling it.

I know it is, and I don't plan on selling it, absolutely. The thing is I don't even have an office-like space at home. If I had it, and a proper table to have my FPs over, I would surely do.

In fact I am a very simple man (moneywise) with a small bunch of very nice and expensive pens.  ;)

Edited by marcelo, 17 May 2016 - 14:09.

#6 Meltemi

Meltemi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 17:31

Carene, I just love it even though I sent it for repair due to the feeding system. I love writing with it, the nib is very smooth and the design really helps me a lot. 

I like flowers, mother of pearl, dip nibs, blue, green or red inks. I also like flowers, Frida Kahlo's paintings and Josephine Baker's songs. Did I mention flowers and mother of pearl?

#7 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2016 - 15:55

Carene, I just love it even though I sent it for repair due to the feeding system. I love writing with it, the nib is very smooth and the design really helps me a lot. 

It is such a great pen indeed.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman caréne, lamy studio, lamy studio palladium, caran dache léman, parker premier

Sponsored Content

|