The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Hakase African Ebony Fountain Pen (F/m Stub Nib)

hakase

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 21:41

I cannot tell you how fascinating it is to see a pen, identical to mine, but in a different material. I own an ebony pen (not a Hakase, unfortunately, but a late, great Omas 360 in the same wood), and so I can imagine the different tactile experience of holding yours - dense, fragrant, rutted - in contrast to my own - smooth, fragile, worked. Two such similar objects with such inherently distinct souls. 

Amusing, too, that your Hakase 'surprise' (regarding the size) was exactly the opposite of my own. Expectations really are odd things...

Congratulations, and I hope it brings you joy, in ample good health. What a wonderful purchase...

Edited by mongrelnomad, 18 May 2016 - 22:04.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Sponsored Content

#22 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 21:44

*waits for mongrelnomad to appear and comment.

:D

Too many pens; too little writing.

#23 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:42

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but if that is the case, have you explored the oversize ebonite pens available from Indian custom pen makers, available in such as ASA pens on the Web, Fountain Pen Revolution, or the Ranga eBay store? The largest are actually larger than a 149, quite light, and wonderful writers, as well as being hand-crafted instead of injection-molded.

ron

Have I explored Indian custom pens?  No, I have not.  I need to do just that.  There are any number of pen reviews of Indian pens right here and  I have read many of them.  The reviews are mostly positive and I am curious.  Maybe your comment will propel me in the proper direction.  Thank you.

#24 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:53

I cannot tell you how fascinating it is to see a pen, identical to mine, but in a different material. I own an ebony pen (not a Hakase, unfortunately, but a late, great Omas 360 in the same wood), and so I can imagine the different tactile experience of holding yours - dense, fragrant, rutted - in contrast to my own - smooth, fragile, worked. Two such similar objects with such inherently distinct souls. 

Amusing, too, that your Hakase 'surprise' (regarding the size) was exactly the opposite of my own. Expectations really are odd things...

Congratulations, and I hope it brings you joy, in ample good health. What a wonderful purchase...

Thank you so much for your comment.  When I think of pens in wood, the Omas series of wood pens does come to my mind.  The photos I have seen of the Omas pens does make it appear they are "worked," quite refined.  I have never actually experienced one in real life, so I have no idea how tactile they might be.  I would love to hold one in my hand.

The Hakase pens do appear more "rustic" than the Omas pens, more "rutted" and tactile.  Rather than hunting down Omas pens, I tend toward seeking out a Hakase because of the differences I have perceived through pictures.  But, I am working from a lack of physical experience, which makes me reluctant to commit to a course of action.  Whether Omas or Hakase, that course of action will not be cheap.  -  Dang!  I need to get to a pen show!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hakase

Sponsored Content

|