What Is This Pen Model?

MyCreativeUsername

I found this pen few months ago, but I don't know the model nor if works or need repairs...

Can you help me identify this pen? (Sorry about the image quality)

http://i.imgur.com/FhfzNOe.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MyCreativeUsername

• mitto

• hood

• Mike 59

Looks like a 45. But the pattern is unusual? Below is a site to help identify Parkers as well as their history.

http://parkercollector.com/

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Thank you, people! :D

I tried the parker collector site, but the patern wasn't helping me to identify.

Just curiosity, is there more unusual paterns like this?

One last thing, is there a way to check when this pen was made? (the nib isn't fully visible)

http://parkercollector.com/parker45.html says 1960-2007... depending when this pen was made, this maybe is my mother's lost fountain pen. (she lost it like 20+ years ago)

Edited by MyCreativeUsername

Unknown pattern Parker 45 but extremely beautiful. Perhaps costom made cap and barrel. I wonder if it is silver or silver plated.

Khan M. Ilyas

Hi, Assuming you want to try it out, it's best to get any existing ink out, it may have dried out in the nib section.

Unscrew the barrel, and put the whole front section into a pot of cold water. Leave for 10 minutes, check if any ink flows out into the water.

If no ink flows out, then take a paper towel and fold it up a few times, gently press the top side of the nib against the paper to draw out any water. Shake out any water from the place where the ink cartridge will fit. Leave it to dry out for a couple of hours or overnight if possible.

(If some ink flows out, colouring the water, leave it for an hour or so to dissolve out, then use the paper towel 'method'.)

For ink, you will need to use Parker Quink cartridges which are available in most parts of the world, note that no other type will fit. Many shops would try to sell you International cartridges, they won't fit this pen though.

If you happen to have a bottle of fountain pen ink, you could just dip the nib in it to test write.

Plug a Quink cartridge into the nib section, turn it as you push it in, it will 'pop' as the plastic is punctured by the tube inside the pen.

Wait a minute for the ink to flow through, and you should find that it writes, usually very well in a fine or medium line. Hope that helps.

Edited by Mike 59

The barrell and cap are exceptional.

The section appears to have had a hard time although photographs can be decieving, it looks like its letting the pen down.

If it was mine would seek out a Parker 45 with a better section and a gold nib and have a pen to make you proud.

As new, ordinary, Parker 45s are still available for very little money to donate the section.

Interesting pattern, could you post a few more photos?

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

if I get some Parker Quink cartridges, can I refill them with Sheaffer ink or they'll leak?

Sure, I'll post some more. I just need some time to find the card reader.
(the pen still needs some maintenance and cleaning tho, but I got no time to do it this week.)

The nib seems alright: (the squares are 7x7mm)

http://i.imgur.com/Up7xpWt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kxHy1xu.jpg

The arrow clip:

http://i.imgur.com/oNtsPpQ.jpg

The pen itself:
http://i.imgur.com/0hVPZeX.jpg

The... hm... I forgot the name of this part. (need some maintenance... haha)

http://i.imgur.com/DWuVsDt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Uiz2AS5.jpg

Ps.: I had to take photos with flash because compact cameras are bad on high iso.

I keep good supply of spare sections, feeds , nibs, barrels, squeeze converters and caps of P45s just in case I find a pen with beaten up section or in need of nib, feed, cap, barrel or converter.

Generally the section get pressed and deformed because of the cap clutch fingers pressing on it too much coupled with hot weather.

An extremely beautiful pen.

Khan M. Ilyas

Hi, You can use Quink cartridges which will be black ink or blue usually, if you have a syringe you can refill them with any fountain pen ink you prefer, but steer clear of unknown inks and india ink, which is for other types of nib pens, not your '45'.

Some popular inks at reasonable prices are Parker Quink in bottles, Waterman in bottles, Sheaffer Skrip, Pelikan, Cross, Diamine, Noodlers, etc, but there are dozens of brands you could try.

If you intend to use your '45' often , it would pay you to buy a Parker cartridge converter, to use the bottled ink, rather than cartridges, which can prove costly, compared to bottled ink.

This one looks rather special ... It's not a standard production pattern and is not a pattern that I have ever come across. The lack of a plastic end cap would suggest post 1979 although the plastic screw threads in the barrel would suggest earlier ...

So - you have a pen that has an ultra-rare maybe unique design, possibly a prototype or a custom made pen, which would be of big interest to anyone who collects rare 45's.

I would again say custom made as have earlier said in post #5.

Yes, a rare design 45 pen that I have never ever seen before.

Khan M. Ilyas

I'm not sure if this is silver or silver-plated, but seems to be inox steel.
Is there a chance of being a pen made outside USA/England?

If this is early than 79... I guess this is surely my mother's long lost pen.

I'll try find a new section, but how do we replace this pen's nib?

The nib collar unscrews and the nib along with the feed and collar comes out. Pushing the collar backward would free the nib, feed and collar. After replacing the nib fit the collar back on the nib+feed and screw the unit back into section.

Khan M. Ilyas

I'm not sure you need to worry about replacing the section, it will just need a good clean. There are some videos on YouTube showing Parker 45 nib disassembly which can be useful to see if you've never done it before, maybe check those out. But once you've done it once, you'll see it's easy.

As to the material, maybe there's plating involved - on the picture looking down into the barrel, is that a little tarnish on the top side of the barrel?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure you need to worry about replacing the section, it will just need a good clean. There are some videos on YouTube showing Parker 45 nib disassembly which can be useful to see if you've never done it before, maybe check those out. But once you've done it once, you'll see it's easy.

As to the material, maybe there's plating involved - on the picture looking down into the barrel, is that a little tarnish on the top side of the barrel?

Yea, I'll check tomorrow or friday.

Any idea that whiteish thing on last picture? (http://i.imgur.com/Uiz2AS5.jpg)

I did wonder about that, it looks odd. It's nothing you'd normally see inside a P45 section. What's it like, is it soft? dry? sticky? Whatever it is, you'll need to clean it out.