The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kwz Iron Gall Orange (Image-Heavy)

kwz iron gall kwzi

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 0xabad1dea

0xabad1dea

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 00:16

KWZ Iron Gall Orange

(reposted from my tumblr. This is my first review on fpn)

Orange is my favorite color and the mystic allure of iron gall is irresistible but note this dries from dark orange to more of a metallic bronze. The water resistance immediately after drying is poor compared to a conventional iron gall but see my attached test over several months (!) that shows the acid will eventually burn in. This ink has a strong sweet smell which bothers me in poorly vented areas though I’m not really noticing it at the moment. As you can see, it has some shading which gives it a faux shiny effect. In a heavier nib (included in the pictures) it will shade much darker but the fundamental color is still metallic brown in my journal after four months.

Keeping this ink sealed and out of sunlight is a must. It comes in an opaque jar. (In one of the other reviews here on fpn, the color had gone slightly off towards green-gold due to exposure.)

While I do not have any to test, I suspect KWZ IG Mandarin is more of a true orange. I like this ink but it doesn’t match my jewels-and-pastels color palette at all.

vq4R3UQ.jpgiSzxfqT.jpgKywaGxh.jpgWAkpHbB.jpgYXjXsuo.jpgjAgedYQ.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2016 - 00:49

Nice one! Thank you!

#3 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:23

I like the color a lot, more of a brown but I like that. I thought IG ink would have better water resistance though

#4 0xabad1dea

0xabad1dea

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:31

I like the color a lot, more of a brown but I like that. I thought IG ink would have better water resistance though

I can only assume the process of coloring it so far from the usual blue-black compromises the waterproofness. But as you can see from where I let it sit for a few months and then watered it, the gall core does just what Wikipedia says it does (slowly burn in) even if the golden component still washes right off.

#5 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:32

I think the longer you leave it on paper, the more water resistant it is.

#6 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:50

Thank you for nice review.

#7 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:57

The mandarin sample I initially got was very similar to this. I like quite strong and bright oranges and while the mandarin shaded very well, the colour just didn't float my boat. However, I had another sample of it and it came out quite differently; a kind of subdued, subtle orange colour. I quite liked it. I suspect the formulation changed at some point, but I don't know what the new one is - or, I got an overly oxidised initial sample.

#8 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2016 - 18:17

Nice review! Bronze is the best name IMO.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:10

Thank you for the great review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kwz, iron gall, kwzi

Sponsored Content

|