Aurora Optimas Brighten A Rainy Day

whichwatch

Today dawned gray and rainy. I needed something to brighten my mood. My collection of Aurora Optimas did the trick! My pictures aren’t the greatest. You should see the color of these babies in person! And if the sun were shining…

I think they look especially nice in this great Aurora box I was able to obtain. But it seems there are some empty spots! One will hold my Optima Monviso when it arrives in a few weeks. I have a red capped Demonstrator, an 85th Anniversary Optima, and a Primavera on my radar, but haven’t found just the right ones yet.

Does anybody else like Optimas?

http://www.fototime.com/%7B8174196D-5F83-405F-990A-504E7E742347%7D/origpict/A1.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B1401C5ED-B17C-4986-A731-AB86EC2C4DF6%7D/origpict/A2.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B7F14BDC4-43EF-42B6-BD2F-9B5C3A1BA003%7D/origpict/A3.JPG

Edited by whichwatch

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whichwatch

• Calabria

• dms525

• mehandiratta

I do! I do! They are not only beautiful, they are a pleasure to write with and are amazingly well made. To my taste, the ones in your current collection are much more attractive than the ones with more blingy hardware.

Do you have a sense as to how the Monviso differs from the Nero Perla?

David

Incredibly lovely pens. My personal favourite is the red and brown one second from the right (I've forgotten the name of that one).

Beautiful collection you have there.

D

I do! I do! They are not only beautiful, they are a pleasure to write with and are amazingly well made. To my taste, the ones in your current collection are much more attractive than the ones with more blingy hardware.

David

I agree with David.

What is the Monviso supposed to be?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

David

Thanks David

While I think I remember that you prefer a very specific type of Italic grind, one of the things I enjoy about my Optimas is that I now have F, M, B, factory Stub, factory Italic, factory Oblique, and a B ground to Stub by Linda Kennedy. Of course the nibs are interchangeable, so I can put any nib in any pen.

I am waiting to see the difference between the Nero Perla and the Monviso but at this point all I have seen is pictures. The sense I get from US Distributor Kenro is that the Nero Perla is mostly gray and white, whereas the Monviso is more black, silver, and white, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I will try to post pictures of the two side-by-side when the Monviso arrives, hopefully in a few weeks.

Incredibly lovely pens. My personal favourite is the red and brown one second from the right (I've forgotten the name of that one).

Beautiful collection you have there.

D

Thanks Dennis. That pen is simply called the 365, so named because it was a Limited Edition of 365 pieces which were issued, and quickly sold out, in late 2015.

I agree with David.

What is the Monviso supposed to be?

Monviso is named after a famous mountain in Italy. The pen was designed by Aurora owner Cesare Verona and the pattern/color is supposed to represent "both Monviso's snowy, rock-strewn peak, as well as fog rising from the banks of the River Po."

The first photo below is the Monviso and was posted by John Mottishaw's nibs.com. The second is my Nero Perla

post-87497-0-01814800-1461698847.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/%7B525F6A85-12F5-481E-9B6C-4F7A40788DBE%7D/sspict/640/exp=f&modt=42504.8036126157&ssdyn=1/A4.JPG

Edited by whichwatch

Cute but too small for a manly hand, as is evident even from their length in the box.

According to data from nibs.com the Optima is right about the same size as a Pelikan M600. While I personally prefer the size of an M800, I don't find these too small.

I tried to get the data to post here, but I couldn't get it formatted correctly. There is a size comparison feature on their site that can be used to compare sizes of pens.

Edited by whichwatch

According to data from nibs.com the Optima is right about the same size as a Pelikan M600. While I personally prefer the size of an M800, I don't find these too small.

I tried to get the data to post here, but I couldn't get it formatted correctly. There is a size comparison feature on their site that can be used to compare sizes of pens.

Subjectively, I can say that I normally like a very large pen, between the M800 and the M1000, and I find the Optima a perfectly fine (usable sized) pen when posted.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Subjectively, I can say that I normally like a very large pen, between the M800 and the M1000, and I find the Optima a perfectly fine (usable sized) pen when posted.

I completely agree, the section is rather longer than expected for such a short pen, which makes it surprisingly useable in my big hands. I usually prefer large (149, M1000, Dolce Vita) size pens, but I love my Optima too.

Regards, greg

I agree as well.

One positive design feature of the Optima is that it is perfectly balanced posted or unposted. User's choice. Unposted, the Optima is almost exactly the same length as a M600 (unposted). Posted, the Optima is substantially longer than an unposted M800.

And an Optima in a shirt breast pocket snuggles down. It doesn't look like it wants to jump out.

David

It's good to see so many men praising a ladies pen. Very refreshing.

Troll alert! Please do not feed him/her/it. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to see so many men praising a ladies pen. Very refreshing.

Ladies' pen? Really?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Monviso is named after a famous mountain in Italy. The pen was designed by Aurora owner Cesare Verona and the pattern/color is supposed to represent "both Monviso's snowy, rock-strewn peak, as well as fog rising from the banks of the River Po."

The first photo below is the Monviso and was posted by John Mottishaw's nibs.com. The second is my Nero Perla

post-87497-0-01814800-1461698847.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/%7B525F6A85-12F5-481E-9B6C-4F7A40788DBE%7D/sspict/640/exp=f&modt=42504.8036126157&ssdyn=1/A4.JPG

Thanks for the info and pictures. I think Aurora is taking over where OMAS left off - these are all compelling

– Lin Yu-T'ang