Which? Heritage Rouge Et Noir Or 1912?

LuckyKate

LuckyKate, congratulations on both purchases. I gather you were at the MB Boutique at Tyson's Galleria II -- I stop by there with some regularity! I have both the 1912 and the Rouge et Noir Coral -- used both today in fact -- the 1912 is inked with MB Oyster Gray and the R/N has MB Burgundy. I really enjoy both pens a lot, but I might give the edge to the R/N -- I love the color of the pen and the ink flow provided by the nib. I had a little scare today at the Paul Bakery in Bethesda, the cap fell off the table onto the floor. I had visions of a chip or a crack - thankfully no apparent damage. Enjoy your pens!!

Toll, Yes, they were very nice about letting me play with the tester pens. I'm glad your pen wasn't hurt by the fall. I love my coral R/N. The weight and size are perfect for me and the medium nib is just wonderful!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LuckyKate

• Pravda

• meiers

• SE1980

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Heritage 1912 arrived. It is a truly unique pen, both in its filling mechanism and its gorgeous broad nib. The weight MB managed to pack into a small pen is stunning--and beautifully balanced. These two Heritage pens have my two favorite nibs. Both soft and utterly usable for me. I like the writing experience very much. It's a bit early to say but for someone who is accustomed to small pens the Rouge et noir may have an edge. It takes me several months before the newness of a pen wears off and I can get a sense of what I prefer, so it'll be a while before I can compare the Rouge et Noir and the 1912 with any detachment.

Here are some (pretty awful) photos taken with my flip phone. I thought the size comparison with the Nakaya piccolo might be of interest. The girth of the 1912 and the piccolo closed is very similar. But what different pens they are uncapped and in the hand!

fpn_1464984343__0603161458.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1452965519__0116161224.jpg'>

fpn_1464984475__0603161456.jpg

Edited by LuckyKate

Congratulations :)

The 1912 is my favorite pen of all time, the 1906 (Rouge et Noir) also follows close after the 1914.

• 2 weeks later...

The nib on the 1912 is more flexible/springier, but because I always use all my pens on the go, the 1912 is not an option for me. Hence my purchasing of the coral snake which has undergone a nib exchange.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

• 1 month later...

I found the 1912 to be too heavy for me, I have seen the Rouge et Noir which looked too thin to my eye, but is probably more practical/ usable.

For me the ideal combination would be the dimensions of the 1912- i.e. squat and fat, but without the weight, with the design (snake, finial) of the Rouge et Noir. Also with retractable nib like old safety filler design.

Would also be awesome to have a Genkai-Lite version of the 1914 as I've read it's very heavy. But cheaper, much cheaper...

Edited by kunju123

My Heritage 1912 arrived. It is a truly unique pen, both in its filling mechanism and its gorgeous broad nib. The weight MB managed to pack into a small pen is stunning--and beautifully balanced. These two Heritage pens have my two favorite nibs. Both soft and utterly usable for me. I like the writing experience very much. It's a bit early to say but for someone who is accustomed to small pens the Rouge et noir may have an edge. It takes me several months before the newness of a pen wears off and I can get a sense of what I prefer, so it'll be a while before I can compare the Rouge et Noir and the 1912 with any detachment.

Here are some (pretty awful) photos taken with my flip phone. I thought the size comparison with the Nakaya piccolo might be of interest. The girth of the 1912 and the piccolo closed is very similar. But what different pens they are uncapped and in the hand!

fpn_1464984343__0603161458.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1464984475__0603161456.jpg]fpn_1464984475__0603161456.jpg

Thank you for the photos. I appreciate your effort and your willingness to share.

Where did you acquire the heritage 1912, if I may ask.

Edited by meiers

Thank you for the photos. I appreciate your effort and your willingness to share.

Where did you acquire the heritage 1912, if I may ask.

Thanks! I got the Heritage 1912 from Fountain Pen Hospital.

I found the 1912 to be too heavy for me, I have seen the Rouge et Noir which looked too thin to my eye, but is probably more practical/ usable.

For me the ideal combination would be the dimensions of the 1912- i.e. squat and fat, but without the weight, with the design (snake, finial) of the Rouge et Noir. Also with retractable nib like old safety filler design.

Would also be awesome to have a Genkai-Lite version of the 1914 as I've read it's very heavy. But cheaper, much cheaper...

That "ideal combination" sounds great! maybe next year.

I really enjoy both these pens. I do find my Rouge et Noir more usable, but that may not only be that the thinner pen is practical but that the nib on my ReN is superb.

Heritage 1912 for me. I struggle with that metal section on the ReN. A bit "showy" in meetings but I just love the sleek look of the 1912. It is truly a modern classic. Beautiful clip and that nib... The satisfying action of the retraction mechanism is nice, too. Besides an Oscar Wilde (although I love the Agatha), the only modern MB in my box of vintage 30s and 40s MBs.

Is the nib size on both of your heritage medium?

May we see a writing sample, please?

The nib on my 1912 was a broad, but I sent it for an exchange to a medium which is more usable for me. When I get it back I'll post a photo.

The nib on my 1912 was a broad, but I sent it for an exchange to a medium which is more usable for me. When I get it back I'll post a photo.

Thanks. I am thinking of buying a second heritage. Probably in a broad or a medium nib.

Edited by meiers

Was the broad nib "stubby" - some line variation with no pressure?

Anyone have an EF nib 1912 that they could post a writing sample of or at least share their experience of the nib? Thinking about picking another one up.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms