Which? Heritage Rouge Et Noir Or 1912?

LuckyKate

Dear all,

Thanks so much for your many answers--it's clear that the 1912 is a favorite here. That said, I spent the afternoon at Fahrney's. Unfortunately they didn't have the Heritage 1912, only the Rouge et Noir. I really liked the way it looked and felt, though it seems more like a pocket pen (an expensive one) than a pen to do a lot of writing with. Still the one I tried had such a sweet nib, I couldn't resist it.

I really wish they'd had a 1912 (they did have a ballpoint but it was very light and seemed very different from the FP). I now may have to get the 1912 sight unseen, which makes me a little nervous. I do still need a pen I can do some serious writing with (the Rouge et Noir is more like a very pretty novelty and an organizer pen than a serious writing pen, as much as I like it). So the 1912 may still be on my agenda.

In any case all your response have been really fun to read. Thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LuckyKate

• Pravda

• meiers

• SE1980

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the pickup of the new ReN, what version did you get? I do hope you give the 1912 a go too!

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Congrats on the pickup of the new ReN, what version did you get? I do hope you give the 1912 a go too!

Thanks CeeElle! I got the coral ReN. It may be a question of style over substance--but that discounts the ReN's charm. It is a treat. I did my weekly budget with my new little red pen in my Hobinichi this morning and never had so much fun going over accounts! I don't have the Heritage (obviously), but the nib on the RnN is no slacker (mine is a medium that runs on the fine side). It is a lovely nib both to use and to look at. The cap and the little green eyes on the snake as well as the plating on the snake clip and the weight of the metal body and the feel of the lacquer, are all delightful to use.

I am planning to get the 1912, a more "serious" pen with its own charm.

Dear all,

Thanks so much for your many answers--it's clear that the 1912 is a favorite here. That said, I spent the afternoon at Fahrney's. Unfortunately they didn't have the Heritage 1912, only the Rouge et Noir. I really liked the way it looked and felt, though it seems more like a pocket pen (an expensive one) than a pen to do a lot of writing with. Still the one I tried had such a sweet nib, I couldn't resist it.

I really wish they'd had a 1912 (they did have a ballpoint but it was very light and seemed very different from the FP). I now may have to get the 1912 sight unseen, which makes me a little nervous. I do still need a pen I can do some serious writing with (the Rouge et Noir is more like a very pretty novelty and an organizer pen than a serious writing pen, as much as I like it). So the 1912 may still be on my agenda.

In any case all your response have been really fun to read. Thanks!

The 1912 fountain is still available at my local MB boutique and they do have the capless rollerball edition, not a ballpoint.

Get the 1912, you won't be disappointed.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

The 1912's retractable nib is also unique to this pen.

The Heritage 1914 and most of the Bohemes also have retractable nibs.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

The Heritage 1914 and most of the Bohemes also have retractable nibs.

Thanks for the information. I forgot about the 1914 but didn't know the Bohemes also have this feature.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I vote for the 1912. I loved mine, and can't believe I sold it (need the $). I wish I had sold the ReN instead. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy both of them, but the 1912 is in a league of its own.

I will own one again...someday

I must say after several days I am in love with this sweet pen.

The nib writes like an angel (in spite of the serpent etching which is just exquisite down to the last detail: repetition of the triangular breather hole in the mouth of the snake). The weight and balance of the barrel feel just right to me and the metal section offers some grip. It feels almost like brushed metal.I also like the touch of modernity the metal grip gives to the retro design. I find that this pen in addition to being gorgeous is really a wonderful writer.

I vote for the 1912. I loved mine, and can't believe I sold it (need the $). I wish I had sold the ReN instead. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy both of them, but the 1912 is in a league of its own.

I will own one again...someday

I am curious (mostly for my own acquisitiveness) what makes you prefer the 1912? Is it the heaviness of the pen? The 1912 does have a different aesthetic, but it is about the same length and has the same nib. What sets it apart for you?

I must say after several days I am in love with this sweet pen.

The nib writes like an angel (in spite of the serpent etching which is just exquisite down to the last detail: repetition of the triangular breather hole in the mouth of the snake). The weight and balance of the barrel feel just right to me and the metal section offers some grip. It feels almost like brushed metal.I also like the touch of modernity the metal grip gives to the retro design. I find that this pen in addition to being gorgeous is really a wonderful writer.

I am curious (mostly for my own acquisitiveness) what makes you prefer the 1912? Is it the heaviness of the pen? The 1912 does have a different aesthetic, but it is about the same length and has the same nib. What sets it apart for you?

It difficult to explain why I like one better than the other. The nibs were practically identical. I have very large hands so I tend to go for medium to large pens. The shape of the barrel of the 1912 agrees with my hand more. There's something very smooth about the mechanisms of the 1912 that I like. I like the cap of the ReN better than the 1912 more. A hybrid of the 1912 and 1914 would be my ideal pen. If the 1912 had a cap like the Agatha Christie I'd call it the greatest Montblanc ever. I enjoy the heft of the 1912. The weight in my hand feels right. I also enjoy the extra weight of the ReN. The 1912 is just a more versatile pen. It is a serious pen meant for writing and writing long term. The ReN is just fine for jotting notes, signing things and doing my puzzles. The compact nature of the 1912 is great for carrying.

Just saw a rouge et noir today at a Montblanc shop in KL and found it distinctly underwhelming. Maybe that's because the Agatha Christie is my favorite pen and daily user, and the R&N seemed scrawny by comparison. The 1912 at least has some real heft.

Check out my blog and my pens

I ended up going into a Montblanc boutique today where there was a Heritage 1912 tester. I really enjoyed the compact size of the pen as well as the weight, which felt balanced and comfortable. For a minimalist, this pen's aesthetics hit all the right buttons. What shone of course was the nib. I like the same nib on my rouge and noir very much. The nib on my 1906 is a medium.

I ordered a 1912 with a broad nib. I want to thank CeeElle who has a wonderful review of the Heritage on her blog Manllectables.

It difficult to explain why I like one better than the other. The nibs were practically identical. I have very large hands so I tend to go for medium to large pens. The shape of the barrel of the 1912 agrees with my hand more. There's something very smooth about the mechanisms of the 1912 that I like. I like the cap of the ReN better than the 1912 more. A hybrid of the 1912 and 1914 would be my ideal pen. If the 1912 had a cap like the Agatha Christie I'd call it the greatest Montblanc ever. I enjoy the heft of the 1912. The weight in my hand feels right. I also enjoy the extra weight of the ReN. The 1912 is just a more versatile pen. It is a serious pen meant for writing and writing long term. The ReN is just fine for jotting notes, signing things and doing my puzzles. The compact nature of the 1912 is great for carrying.

As I enjoy small pens (a Mozart Tribute is one of my favorites), the ReB is almost perfect, not too big. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up using the ReB more than the 1912, but only time will tell. The two pens make a lovely set.

I ended up going into a Montblanc boutique today where there was a Heritage 1912 tester. I really enjoyed the compact size of the pen as well as the weight, which felt balanced and comfortable. For a minimalist, this pen's aesthetics hit all the right buttons. What shone of course was the nib. I like the same nib on my rouge and noir very much. The nib on my 1906 is a medium.

I ordered a 1912 with a broad nib. I want to thank CeeElle who has a wonderful review of the Heritage on her blog

As I enjoy small pens (a Mozart Tribute is one of my favorites), the ReB is almost perfect, not too big. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up using the ReB more than the 1912, but only time will tell. The two pens make a lovely set.

Congrats! You'll love the 1912. When I decide to replace the one I sold, I plan on getting a broad or bigger. The ReN is nice and slim enough to take with you everywhere. It is a nice sized pen. Don't be too sure about using it more than the 1912 though. You'll see. You'll crave that fatter barrel and the joy of playing with the retractable nib.

The 1912 is a truly great pen. Mine is currently in my pocket after being freshly filled with MB Black.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I ordered a 1912 with a broad nib. I want to thank CeeElle who has a wonderful review of the Heritage on her blog Manllectables.

Thank you very much! I'm glad to hear it helped with the purchase.

Edited by CeeElle

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Thank you very much! I'm glad to hear it helped with the purchase.

Thank you! great photos!

Edited by LuckyKate

Neither, very content with Agatha Christie. I am now done collecting Montblanc - unless I find a Hemingway for under $100.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Neither, very content with Agatha Christie. I am now done collecting Montblanc - unless I find a Hemingway for under $100.

Nice and congratulations. I am just slightly bemused that your very end-point in Montblanc collecting is so modest, at 'just' Agatha Christie.

LuckyKate, congratulations on both purchases. I gather you were at the MB Boutique at Tyson's Galleria II -- I stop by there with some regularity! I have both the 1912 and the Rouge et Noir Coral -- used both today in fact -- the 1912 is inked with MB Oyster Gray and the R/N has MB Burgundy. I really enjoy both pens a lot, but I might give the edge to the R/N -- I love the color of the pen and the ink flow provided by the nib. I had a little scare today at the Paul Bakery in Bethesda, the cap fell off the table onto the floor. I had visions of a chip or a crack - thankfully no apparent damage. Enjoy your pens!!