Which? Heritage Rouge Et Noir Or 1912?

LuckyKate

For those of you who have both the 1912 and the Rouge et Noir, which do you prefer and why, other than the price difference? If you could choose only one, which would you choose?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LuckyKate

• Pravda

• meiers

• SE1980

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heritage 1912 is my personal opinion.

The design both aesthetic and in the safety mechanism, the engineering that went into it and the feel of the nib is just brilliant.

I love the R/N but wouldn't put it up against the 1912. It's a very special pen.

+1 for Heritage 1912. I agree with Pravda - design, engineering, nib, balance, heft. I find the R&N too thin and a bit sterile for my taste. Some neat elements (e.g. Snake clip) but more style than substance.

It is very difficult to determine which one I would choose. Practically speaking 1912 gets a 0 score as you have to uncap then screw the nib out- this pen would suit desk/personal office based usage. ReN is slim but is beautiful and offers a certain sense of uniqueness, as opposed to the refined beauty of 1912.

You will need both. Most of us here ended up getting both.

Heritage 1912 is my personal opinion.

The design both aesthetic and in the safety mechanism, the engineering that went into it and the feel of the nib is just brilliant.

I love the R/N but wouldn't put it up against the 1912. It's a very special pen.

Thanks to Pravda's glowing reviews (and release of rouge et noir) of the 1912 I have also ordered one! It appears to be a cery special pen. Sonething unto it's own amongst the most recent Montblanc releases.

Miguel

Everyone has different opinions. I'd suggest the 1912 as I'm not a fan of the serpent clip. The 1912's retractable nib is also unique to this pen.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

The 1912 is more appealing as a pen to me i.e. the barrel is better sized and easier to hold, but the cap leaving marks on the barrel is just bad design. The designer should find a new job.

Edited by sunnerd

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

The 149 also exhibits this phenomenon albeit on a much slower progression over the years. I hear the upcoming Ultrablack already does this while even still in the showrooms or exhibitions. I agree it should've been circumvented, but learned to accept it as part of nature's course- like tires on a car or soles of a shoe? Dunno

As far as I am concerned, the Rouge et Noir is a nice design but it doesn't come close to the Heritage 1912 in terms of engineering and writing confort.

I read many topics on this forum stating that the Rouge et Noir and the Heritage 1912 had similar nibs and writing confort. While it is true that the nibs are similar in both form and shape the writing experience is softer on my 1912. Also, the piston on the 1912 feels much more serious and smooth.

Best regards,

S.

P.S. I am not saying that the Rouge et Noir is unconfortable, not at all. It is just that the Heritage 1912 is second to none when it comes to the way it feels when writing.

Edited by sny

Yeah, to think positively, it's 'ageing gracefully' marks.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

An interesting question and one I think many people are facing now. Owning both my personal preference is for the 1912. The nib is wonderful and the pen overall is more comfortable and feels a lot more 'special'. On the other hand the ReN snake clip, nib design and portability is excellent. Decisions!

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

The Heritage is IMHO the better pen. But I would buy an MB Virginia Woolf as I think it's better value for money. Sorry :)

My heritage 1912 trumps all the fountain pens in my collection -- except the 149.

~ @meiers

Tht's quite a strong compliment.

The several 149s I have are each a joy to use.

Their size, weight, and steady performance is what inspired me to have them with differently sized nibs.

What is it about the Heritage 1912 which especially appeals to you?

The overall design? How it feels during use?

I ask because I looked at one last weekend at the China World Trade Center Montblanc boutique in Beijing.

It stayed in my mind. Your comment above stirs increased interest!

Tom K.

I own both and they are totally different; if I could only choose one I would choose the 1912 just because of the size and feel of the pen. I am use to writing with a writer series pen or a 149 - it has been an adjustment writing with the thinner ReN.

Laurel

~ @meiers

Tht's quite a strong compliment.

The several 149s I have are each a joy to use.

Their size, weight, and steady performance is what inspired me to have them with differently sized nibs.

What is it about the Heritage 1912 which especially appeals to you?

The overall design? How it feels during use?

I ask because I looked at one last weekend at the China World Trade Center Montblanc boutique in Beijing.

It stayed in my mind. Your comment above stirs increased interest!

Tom K.

You know, if we go back to much older threads we'll find me saying that 1912 is so good I am surprised that members aren't getting their 2nd and 3rd and 4th like we do with 149s. Crossed my mind many times that I would like to have several of them. Possibly only reason I don't is my understanding that the Heritage series will now be a yearly thing and hence saved my funds for the following iterations.

For me, I just love the black silhouette-like design, the shine of the lacquer is unlike any resin and its solid heavy-ish feel.. the nib is a thing of beauty. Platinum trim doesn't hamper your ink choices. The safety mechanism- 2 years now and I flush for changing inks nearly weekly and it is still the smoothest ever! Any other pen the piston becomes dry by the 20th flush or so.

If they didn't have that silly plastic star on the cap and instead a regular white star on black resin.. why, I would've sold of all my collection and just had that one pen!

For me, I just love the black silhouette-like design, the shine of the lacquer is unlike any resin and its solid heavy-ish feel.. the nib is a thing of beauty. Platinum trim doesn't hamper your ink choices. The safety mechanism- 2 years now and I flush for changing inks nearly weekly and it is still the smoothest ever! Any other pen the piston becomes dry by the 20th flush or so.

If they didn't have that silly plastic star on the cap and instead a regular white star on black resin.. why, I would've sold of all my collection and just had that one pen!

~ @Pravda

Thanks so much for explaining how the Heritage 1912 fountain pen appeals to you.

Your comments are pertinent, timely and much appreciated.

Montblanc's marketing department owes you a discount on a future purchase!

I'm especially interested in what you noted about the safety mechanism — impressive!

Tom K.