Classic Green - Diamine

visvamitra

Manufacturers since 1864, Diamine Inks relocated to this purpose built 'state of the art' factory in Liverpool in 1925, where they successfully carried on using the traditional methods and formulas for ink production. Over the years the company has changed hands and are now located close to the world famous Aintree Race Course

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/images/DimaineFactory.gif

http://www.diaminein...uk/AboutUs.aspx

Classic Green is one of two new inks in Diamine line. The color is quite interesting although I'm not sure what's classic about it. Depending on the pen and nib shade changes from medium saturated and light to darker tones. It has some water resistance (only just),the flow is good but not amazing. I haven't observed any misbehaviour but I have this week for a week so I may discover some surprises in few weeks.

fpn_1463166510__classicgreen_diamine_is.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1463166545__classicgreen_diamine_rk.

Software ID

fpn_1463168228__classicgreen_diamine_leu

Tomoe River - Kaweco Sport Classic, eyedropper, B

fpn_1463168247__classicgreen_diamine_tom

fpn_1463168256__classicgreen_diamine_tom

fpn_1463168266__classicgreen_diamine_tom

Leuchtturm 1917 - Kaweco Sport Classic, eyedropper, B

fpn_1463168205__classicgreen_diamine_leu

fpn_1463168215__classicgreen_diamine_leu

fpn_1463168240__classicgreen_diamine_leu

Lyreco Budget - Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio, B

fpn_1463166520__classicgreen_diamine_lyr

fpn_1463166536__classicgreen_diamine_lyr

Clairefontaine, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1463166491__classicgreen_diamine_cla

Water resistance

fpn_1463166500__classicgreen_diamine_h2o

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• radellaf

• lapis

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I like Diamine inks, and I like some greens - just not all.

As for this one - meh.

Well, this is just up my green street but I have to confess that I did have a hand in the mix etc. Fills a gap in their colour range and if you look for my review, you'll see some more comparisons.

It has pretty good water resistance as my 30 minute soak tests show - compared to a few others - and especially the Diamine Racing Green.

fpn_1459849392__diamine_classic_green-ne

fpn_1459849405__diamine_classic_green-ne

Not nicking your, as usual, excellent review: just trying to avoid any more 'meh' comments!

As ever - TGC.

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Looks a bit like the anniversary Safari, but with more water resistance?

..... I really should stop looking at murky green ink reviews.(*facepalms)

Looks unexceptional I'm afraid. Sorry TGC, but another 'Meh' from me, although I'm sure others will like it.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Considering "all" of the Diamines in this ballpark, I'd say it is a "nice" green, better yet only an "okay" green. I too -- as said up top -- don't have the foggiest idea what's "classical" about it.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Considering "all" of the Diamines in this ballpark, I'd say it is a "nice" green, better yet only an "okay" green. I too -- as said up top -- don't have the foggiest idea what's "classical" about it.

Think 'classic' car colour, perhaps?

The Good Captain

Classic car? That's it! How silly of me to have overseen that! Cap'n, you've just turned me into a new buyer. If I complimented you on your Morgan, would you hold it against me?

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/uploads/image/142001_142100/vehicle-car-morgan-plus-8-142100_492f3f3bfd8aa91e_240X180.jpg

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I like it, but just got bottles of Diamine Safari and KWZI Hunter Green, so probably won't be buying this for awhile.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Classic car? That's it! How silly of me to have overseen that! Cap'n, you've just turned me into a new buyer. If I complimented you on your Morgan, would you hold it against me?

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/uploads/image/142001_142100/vehicle-car-morgan-plus-8-142100_492f3f3bfd8aa91e_240X180.jpg

Even if I could afford one - no! They're made not too far away from here and I wish I'd saved up for one years ago. Hey-ho!

The Good Captain

Great review, Vis! And I appreciate The Good Captain's comments.

But, truthfully, to me the color is not interesting - meh.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 weeks later...

First impression? It's a nice, dark, olive or pine green. A muted dark yellow-green.

post-31871-0-28618800-1464063481_thumb.jpg

Halogen 3100K

post-31871-0-18571500-1464067396_thumb.jpg

High CRI LED

post-31871-0-25387800-1464115106_thumb.jpg

Bright Sunlight - small swatch is Stipula Sepia

Just got in the bottles from Cult Pens. Here's eight inks compared to the new Classic Green. I'd call it a color right between Sailor Tokiwa Matsu and Diamine Evergreen.

I wish I had Diamine's Emerald, as that should be a step toward yellow from Evergreen.

from cybaea's comparison of all diamine colors:

post-31871-0-52543700-1464063854.jpg

Edited by radellaf

First impression? It's a nice, dark, olive or pine green. A muted dark yellow-green.

attachicon.gifDiamine Classic Green Comparison lo.jpg

Halogen 3100K

attachicon.gifDiamine Classic Green Comparison HiCRI lo.JPG

High CRI LED

Just got in the bottles from Cult Pens. Here's eight inks compared to the new Classic Green. I'd call it a color right between Sailor Tokiwa Matsu and Diamine Evergreen. The hues look good here, but the scan is lighter than it looks on paper. I'll get a daylight version when the sun comes up again.

I wish I had Diamine's Emerald, as that should be a step toward yellow from Evergreen.

from cybaea's comparison of all diamine colors:

attachicon.gifDiamine Evergreen vs Emerald.JPG

Great comparisons.

The Good Captain

• 2 weeks later...

Here's that page, a scan this time, with Diamine Emerald (a nice leaf green) added at the top and Franklin Christoph Midnight Emerald (which looks blue next to all the greens) at the bottom.

post-31871-0-66730500-1465025686_thumb.jpg

Looks very similar to Diamine Salamander. How do you find the two compare?

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

That's 2nd or 3rd up from the bottom, and not at all similar. Depending on the light (halogen and the scanner) Salamander looks more grey or black than green.

I don't know if it's the closest Diamine color, but Evergreen is not far off.

Here's a bright sun photo that includes the FC and Emerald. I think sun is the best match to what it looks like on the paper. Salamander doesn't look straight-out neutral grey under 3000K halogen to me. Also, the paper is 32# HP Laser, don't know if I mentioned that. Probably I should use Rhodia since everyone else seems to, but you can't really trust the relative color of scans or photos from different people, and I've had Rhodia do a weird thing. Various ratios of a mix of Waterman blue and brown: the blue part disappeared over a few months on Rhodia, but not in the ink vial or on the HP paper. Only thing I don't love about the HP over Rhodia is it's quicker to go over an ounce for a long letter. And, if you want it in a notebook, you have to get a copy shop to cut & bind it. That's what the ink swatches are in, a spiral bound quarter-letter-sheet notebook.

post-31871-0-88780600-1465155404_thumb.jpg

Edited by radellaf

As it happens, I made up the mix for Classic Green. Diamine went for it, and that's the way it is.

When one should look at the sheets of paper with all the swatches I used, then it would be obvious that the colour is 'different'.

Therefore, Classic Green is a unique ink. Hey-ho!

The Good Captain

Hey, cool. No doubt it is unique, but always useful to be able to point to other known inks and say "this one is a little <something> than that". Do you think any Diamine is closer to it than Evergreen? Racing Green I guess, which I don't have, and isn't on cybaea's 2013 comprehensive list.

Edited by radellaf