Akkerman #23 Bekakt Haags

Wrathen

So this is my first ink review and I was mostly spurred to do one because there are very few ink reviews for this ink, which I find wonderful. So I have had this ink for a week and a bit, but it has given me the opportunity to test it a bit in two different pens and so far I can say I LOVE the ink. I have never been a huge brown in fan, but with getting a Pilot Custom 823 in Amber I felt that it would need to at least sometimes be filled with a brown ink "to match" ... DONT shake your head I know you do it too!!!. So while I havent gotten my Pilot 823 back from Dan Smith yet I should have it soon.

It was a debating between Montblanc Toffee Brown and the Akkerman Bekakt Haags. While I love Montblanc inks, in the the end I decided that I have 4-5 other Montblanc inks and no Akkerman inks... and to be honest it was the bottle that convinced me (and the stories of good results with Akkerman didnt hurt).

Sorry I dont have a scanner or a super nice photo setup (just taken with my iPhone 6s Plus) but I hope you can get a good idea of how nice this ink is. In a few of the close up angle shots I tried to capture some of the shading this ink can do and while they do show some it is better in person.

So if your thinking about trying Akkerman for the first time or looking for a great brown ink I can highly recommend both. While this was my first Akkerman ink it will for sure not be my last. I really wanted Shocking Blue but couldnt justify yet another blue ink... but I think it will be in my future too and maybe another bottle as well.

http://i.imgur.com/TC5i223.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q6GENY3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/12bLTZQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TQWTpWn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tvpjbvF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G76GKRS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QSnxh3p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AGTKVKA.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrathen

• lapis

• inkstainedruth

• pararis

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the nice review. This ink does seem to be somehow neglected. (Maybe because of its name?). In any case the different tones from light reddish brown to a darker brown show up well with these two pens. Get the Shocking Blue for sure. Also, the IG (No. 10) is my favorite Akkermann.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the nice review. This ink does seem to be somehow neglected. (Maybe because of its name?). In any case the different tones from light reddish brown to a darker brown show up well with these two pens. Get the Shocking Blue for sure. Also, the IG (No. 10) is my favorite Akkermann.

Mike

Cool thanks I'll look up #10, but shocking blue and the #28 green are both high on my list. I was hoping to find some samples first before I order a bottle but *shrug* havent yet.

Cool thanks I'll look up #10, but shocking blue and the #28 green are both high on my list. I was hoping to find some samples first before I order a bottle but *shrug* havent yet.

I think both Anderson Pens and Vanness Pens have samples of Akkerman inks. For Anderson Pens, though, you have to contact them directly to get the prices. [usual disclaimers, yadda, yadda]

I got bottles of #9, #10 and #19 a couple of years ago in the FPN group buy set up for delivery at DCSS. Love all three colors. I got to try a bunch of the other colors at the testing station at DCSS that year as well (courtesy of Vanness, who had them for sale at their table).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the info. Coincidentally, I happened to have ordered a bottle of this a couple of hours ago. Didn't really know what I'd be getting (other than the interesting bottle), and now I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

Nice review. I've used #23 for more than a year and will be using it for quite a while since I bought the big bottle. Your photos show what I experience, too. Compared to MB Toffee I prefer this one.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 2 weeks later...

a very nice dark brown. i can see this as an everyday formal ink.

-rudy-

I've had both large and small bottles of this, and it is indeed a very, very nice brown. It reminds me of Diamine Chocolate, he said with tongue firmly in cheek.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Thank you for the review. I am just now trying Akkerman inks and am loving them!! And thanks waste landed for mentioning that it was very similar to the Diamine Chocolate. I have that one so this may now come off my Akkerman wish list!

At one time I had a large bottle of this ink. To tell the truth, I bought it for the design of the bottle & the "name" of the ink. I prefer more red in my browns, so I passed this bottle along. A nice formal brown.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

A nice dark brown without much red—just the way I like it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.