The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Akkerman #23 Bekakt Haags

ink review akkerman brown ink wrathen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wrathen

Wrathen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 14:00

So this is my first ink review and I was mostly spurred to do one because there are very few ink reviews for this ink, which I find wonderful. So  I have had this ink for a week and a bit, but it has given me the opportunity to test it a bit in two different pens and so far I can say I LOVE the ink. I have never been a huge brown in fan, but with getting a Pilot Custom 823 in Amber I felt that it would need to at least sometimes be filled with a brown ink "to match" ... DONT shake your head I know you do it too!!!. So while I havent gotten my Pilot 823 back from Dan Smith yet I should have it soon.

It was a debating between Montblanc Toffee Brown and the Akkerman Bekakt Haags. While I love Montblanc inks, in the the end I decided that I have 4-5 other Montblanc inks and no Akkerman inks... and to be honest it was the bottle that convinced me (and the stories of good results with Akkerman didnt hurt).

Sorry I dont have a scanner or a super nice photo setup (just taken with my iPhone 6s Plus) but I hope you can get a good idea of how nice this ink is. In a few of the close up angle shots I tried to capture some of the shading this ink can do and while they do show some it is better in person.

So if your thinking about trying Akkerman for the first time or looking for a great brown ink I can highly recommend both. While this was my first Akkerman ink it will for sure not be my last. I really wanted Shocking Blue but couldnt justify yet another blue ink... but I think it will be in my future too and maybe another bottle as well.

TC5i223.jpg

Q6GENY3.jpg

12bLTZQ.jpg

TQWTpWn.jpg

tvpjbvF.jpg

G76GKRS.jpg

QSnxh3p.jpg

AGTKVKA.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 14:54

Thanks for the nice review. This ink does seem to be somehow neglected. (Maybe because of its name?). In any case  the different tones from light reddish brown to a darker brown show up well with these two pens. Get the Shocking Blue for sure. Also, the IG (No. 10) is my favorite Akkermann.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 Wrathen

Wrathen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 16:35

Thanks for the nice review. This ink does seem to be somehow neglected. (Maybe because of its name?). In any case  the different tones from light reddish brown to a darker brown show up well with these two pens. Get the Shocking Blue for sure. Also, the IG (No. 10) is my favorite Akkermann.

Mike

Cool thanks I'll look up #10, but shocking blue and the #28 green are both high on my list. I was hoping to find some samples first before I order a bottle but *shrug* havent yet.

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 17:15

Cool thanks I'll look up #10, but shocking blue and the #28 green are both high on my list. I was hoping to find some samples first before I order a bottle but *shrug* havent yet.

I think both Anderson Pens and Vanness Pens have samples of Akkerman inks.  For Anderson Pens, though, you have to contact them directly to get the prices. [usual disclaimers, yadda, yadda] 

I got bottles of #9, #10 and #19 a couple of years ago in the FPN group buy set up for delivery at DCSS.  Love all three colors.   I got to try a bunch of the other colors at the testing station at DCSS that year as well (courtesy of Vanness, who had them for sale at their table).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 pararis

pararis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 20:47

Thanks for the info. Coincidentally, I happened to have ordered a bottle of this a couple of hours ago. Didn't really know what I'd be getting (other than the interesting bottle), and now I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

#6 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 23:22

Nice review. I've used #23 for more than a year and will be using it for quite a while since I bought the big bottle. Your photos show what I experience, too. Compared to MB Toffee I prefer this one.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#7 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:43

a very nice dark brown.  i can see this as an everyday formal ink.

-rudy-

#8 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• 2,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:37

I've had both large and small bottles of this, and it is indeed a very, very nice brown. It reminds me of Diamine Chocolate, he said with tongue firmly in cheek.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#9 AllisonS

AllisonS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 13:45

Thank you for the review. I am just now trying Akkerman inks and am loving them!! And thanks waste landed for mentioning that it was very similar to the Diamine Chocolate. I have that one so this may now come off my Akkerman wish list!

#10 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 14:08

At one time I had a large bottle of this ink.  To tell the truth, I bought it for the design of the bottle & the "name" of the ink.  I prefer more red in my browns, so I passed this bottle along.  A nice formal brown.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Professional-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c.factory "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#11 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:21

A nice dark brown without much red—just the way I like it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink review, akkerman, brown ink, wrathen

Sponsored Content

|