Pens You've Bought Twice

Betweenthelines

There are just those certain pens you can't get out of your head, even if you're not quite satisfied the first time, you have to give it another try. Maybe you sold it or traded it and regretted it later. Or maybe you were hell bent on deciding not to like it but somehow it wormed its way back into your mind.

For me the first pen was the Pilot Custom 92. I bought one in FM, and found that its feedback was way too "draggy" on the paper - it didn't glide at all, and it was a bit broad. I ended up sending it to Pendleton to grind into his stub-italic, and I still wasn't happy with it when it came back to me. So I sold it. But dang that pen kept coming back into my mind - to me it was the perfect EDC pen - demonstrator piston filler - pilot quality and nice pilot nib with some spring to it - nice balance and fit in the hand. Durable and can be banged around. But the feedback! So eventually, I ended up buying another in fine. Again! Draggy feedback! Not a feeling I like. So I sent it to Mike Masuyama. It came back, still had some of that same feedback. Sent it back to him, and then... FINALLY, I had the writing experience I wanted. In fact it's probably the smoothest fine nib I have ever owned. When I asked Mike what he did to it, he basically said it was "too complicated to explain". I'll just translate that as "magic".

Now, far down the line, and what made me think of starting this thread, having sold a huge chunk of my collection and transitioning out from "collector" to "user", I just can't get the m805 out of my head. It had been one of my earliest "grail" pens when I first got into the hobby, and I gazed from afar for a long, long time, until miraculously, via a trade, I had my hands on one. It was wonderful! Seemed to be perfection. The nib was the perfect line width & wetness, nice and smooth, and the pen gorgeous. But when it came time to cull my collection, I suddenly found myself offering it up. Why? Well... a few small things... first the back-heaviness of the pen when posted. Second, it had a couple small imperfections in the blue stripes - looked like little divots on the inside of the pen. Made my OCD go crazy. Thirdly, it felt like the nib had a bit of a baby's bottom. Lastly, it almost felt "too nice". Hard to explain, but in my quest to become a pen "user", it seemed like an extreme luxury item that didn't fit my soon-to-be utilitarian small collection. Oddly I kept my MB149, and Nakaya, so go figure.

And yet, even though I predict it will still feel a bit back heavy, and even though I may encounter nib QC issues, I used the most recent portion of sales to buy another m805. I just couldn't help it! I love that damn pen.

How about you guys? Similar experiences?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• MoInk

• Sailor Kenshin

• phillieskjk

Inoxcrom Sakyo has been bought several times because the pens got swiped or damaged by classmates when I was in High School. One still survived till today. Wilson (an obscure low end Italian brand) makes a pen that I bought two copies of because the nibs were slightly different. That's about it though.

I have sold 3 M805s and I regret it, one blue, and two blacks. I wish I had them back... But I had to gather some cash for an emergency and at the time it seemed right to do. It ends up looking on ebay if there is one for a good price to buy again... And I still have two of them left....

Parker 75...I like Parker's Broad Italic nibs and bought one with that nib, but realized when using it that the body of the pen is just too thin for my liking. So I sold it...Fast forward about five years, bought another one thinking maybe my views had changed (I have a Targa with an italic nib and like it--so I convinced myself that the width of the 75 isn't that much different than the Targa). Unfortunately, same old story. So, I sold it as well. Other than senility, don't think I'll buy another one

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

It happens. I have had a few Pelikan M800 pens, but sold each. I just don't like the Pelikan fountain pen style, even though the pens write quite perfectly.

Parker 45 is a pen I have bought more than once, because I like its style. Unfortunately I don't like the way they write as they come from the factory. It is, fortunately, inexpensive. I did find a Pendemonium-ground stub that keeps one around. Generallt I have found none of the Parkers as good as the 51, of which I have several.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have purchased three Lamy Steel 2000 LE's. Bought, Sold, Regret, repeat, repeat. Have one now. Holding onto it. :)

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

The one I likely have the most of would be the Sheaffer Legacy family but the Montegrappa Classica (Classica, Historia, Extra and Extra 1930) are a close second.

My Website

Two Aurora 88, four Optimas (or five), two Talentum, two Ipsilon, three Lamy 2000, four Pelikan M800, two Pelikan M600, and more M400s and 200s than I am willing or able to disclose ...

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Two Noodler's Ahabs - I planned on having one with black and the other random but that didn't quite go to plan :rolleyes:
Two Parker 45s - one medium was given to me by my dad and I bought another for a fine nibbed version :wub:

Two Lamy Safaris - I adore my white one with a black EF nib, wanted to Stormtrooper it so bought a Charcoal but didn't like the Stormtrooper conversion B)

Three Noodler's Nib Creepers - one broke :wacko: one plays up :angry: one is perfect. :wub:

Five Pilot 78Gs - My first real foray into fountain pens and apart from the medium nib going down the plughole the remaining 5 fine and broad nibs are always in action. :)
Five Platinum Preppys - Two 03.mms and three 0.2mms. All start first time every time and write like a dream :wub: Sadly all have tape on the caps to hold them together. :(

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Several cheap pens like Jinhao 159's or Plumixes. I have several Waterman 52 1/2 V's I'm looking at a second Cleo Skribent Classic but with a gold nib this time.

Multiple Parker 45's, two 51 Special's, two Waterman Phileas, multiple Pelikan M200 & M205's.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have far too many Pelikans so I'm tying to branch out. The problem is I'm "branching" into other pens I've already got.

I think this topic was, 'Pens you bought, then sold or donated, but bought again?'

In my case, only one: the Waterman Kultur. I don't like it any better the second time around.

If it's, 'Whatcha got more 'n' one of?' then Hero 616, Lamy Safari, AlStar, Platinum Plaisir, Sailor Sapporo, Sheaffer NN, Waterman Carene, and others too numerous and inexpensive to mention.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I tend to buy multiples of pens that I like, with different nibs or in different colors. This is how I ended up with so many Parker 51s, Vacs and Vectors, and so many Noodler's pens. :blush: Not to mention 4 Sheaffer Snorkels (including two the same color; once I get the newest one up and running, the other black one -- which I think is an F -- may or may not stay in the stash, though).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have plenty of duplicates

- Parker: 21,45,51,180,Classic,Arrow

- Sheaffer cartridge/school

- Esterbrook J series

- TWSBI Eco

- Baoer 388

One reason for duplicates is to keep the one in the collection in GOOD condition, and use the duplicate for everyday/rotation writing.

As for not liking a pen, then the pen goes into my collection, likely never to be inked again.

So far, none has come back out. The L-2000 is in this batch.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I think this topic was, 'Pens you bought, then sold or donated, but bought again?'

In my case, only one: the Waterman Kultur. I don't like it any better the second time around.

If it's, 'Whatcha got more 'n' one of?' then Hero 616, Lamy Safari, AlStar, Platinum Plaisir, Sailor Sapporo, Sheaffer NN, Waterman Carene, and others too numerous and inexpensive to mention.

Yes the topic was more along the lines of "pens you've bought and sold/traded, then came back to again to give a second chance". I know many (most?) folks here have more than one of one kind of pen. :)

Edited by Betweenthelines

Yes the topic was more along the lines of "pens you've bought and sold/traded, then came back to again to give a second chance". I know many (most?) folks here have more than one of one kind of pen. :)

I never sell pens with only one exception so far and that was a batch of Esterbrooks, about a dozen IIRC.

My Website

I like Parker Duofold Seniors. I have five.

I like Parker 51's. I have three Aeros and two Vacs.

J-series Esterbrooks are neat. (Don't ask !)

I like beautiful, blonde wives, though they are expensive. Only allowed one. Rules ! Rules ! Rules !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Oh.

Ooops.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_blush.jpg

In that case.

No.

Inks yes, pens, no.

Pelikan M1000, multiple cycles with a different nib width each time.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!