Asa Heritage : Review Of A Classic Jumbo

Sagarb

fpn_1463134773__fpn_1463126709__a.jpg

Looking at the fountain pen scenario in India, there are established handmade fountain pen makers like Gama, Ranga, Ratnamson, Guider, Kim & co., Deccan, etc, who have been around from before or after Independence. Ranga has been hand crafting pens for more than the last 45 years; Gama is in this business since 1940’s; Guider since 1946; Ratnamson since 1932; Kim & co. have started there productions in early 1950s and Deccan’s manufacturing unit is 30/32 years old.

Comparatively, “ASA Pens” is only four years old and was founded in the year 2012, has already established itself as no less than the older and reputed businesses, which is really astonishing! ASA’s arrival on the Indian fountain pen scene embodies the saying-“VINI, VIDI, VICI”-i.e. “It came, it saw, it conquered”. “ASA” entrenched itself firmly in the Indian as well as international fountain pen market.

About two months back, I had noticed a nice, comparative discussion about some Asa and Gama pens in FPN by arunura ,where I came across 'ASA Heritage' and immediately decided to grab one. Since it was a custom pen and manufactured almost a year before in 2015, there was nothing left in stock but one and I was so lucky to acquire that last piece for the grace of Mr. Subramanium, our loving Subbu.

When it came to my hand, it was spring in Kolkata and some trees in my neighborhood were full of orange blossoms…I couldn’t stop myself to capture few moments I spent with Heritage and to share with you.

I was supposed to post this review two months before but I was little tied up with something and the delay happened..so here comes the HERITAGE...

Appearance,Design & Construction: 5/5

A Classic cigar shaped, a huge and strong pen,solid black ebonite body built to last

fpn_1463135659__fpn_1463050813__b.jpg

Capped, uncapped and posted

fpn_1463051173__c.jpg

An eye-dropper, holds around 4 ml of ink

fpn_1463051918__n.jpg

Chrome finished push in type ball end clip

fpn_1463051296__d.jpg

More close up

fpn_1463051445__e.jpg

Very well engineered and strong inner body

fpn_1463052402__o.jpg

Nib & Filling System:5/4

40mm Ambitious nib inserted deeply writes medium

fpn_1463053558__f.jpg

Ebonite feed allows easy capillarity

fpn_1463051762__g.jpg

Breathing hole position

fpn_1463052131__h.jpg

Section and threading detail

fpn_1463052217__m.jpg

Dimensions:5/5

Length comparison

fpn_1463135173__fpn_1463055147__j.jpg

Dimensions

fpn_1463135388__fpn_1463055182__k.jpg

Writing sample

fpn_1463135453__fpn_1463052671__l.jpg

Conclusion: 5/5

A superb jumbo pen from ASA..Very well balanced and very comfortable to write with.I have been writing with it since two months and it has given me an outstanding performance so far.Those who have big hands and love jumbos would love this pen I am sure. It was sold by Mr. Subramanium at a very reasonable price as always considering the craftsmanship, the size and the material....A flawless pen ..a tireless smooth writer..a true classic...

fpn_1463053872__i.jpg

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• subbucal

• Feanaaro

• drmukherjee

Very nice. It looks like it writes beautifully.

Yes, it does..thanks.

Sagar Bhowmick

Sagar

A simple wow is not enough

Fantastic photographs

Make u want to own this heritage without a second thought

The review is well written and simple.

Congratulations and wishing u long and memorable words with the pen

Can u lead me to get that glass eyedropper please 🙏

Sagar

A simple wow is not enough

Fantastic photographs

Make u want to own this heritage without a second thought

The review is well written and simple.

Congratulations and wishing u long and memorable words with the pen

Can u lead me to get that glass eyedropper please

Thanks very much Sanjay,..

I have inserted the eyedropper photo from internet to give the composition a better look... :D

Sagar Bhowmick

Sweet pen, Sagar. Thank you for a review that is both complete and artful. Your photographs set a standard for all of us. Love the orange blossoms and the Krishna Autumn ink. The Ambitious 40mm nib is fun to write with, isn't it? Your macro nib photographs show it off well.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Nice pen, thanks for the review!

I used one of those large Ambitious nibs last week and it was a very nice writer.

Sweet pen, Sagar. Thank you for a review that is both complete and artful. Your photographs set a standard for all of us. Love the orange blossoms and the Krishna Autumn ink. The Ambitious 40mm nib is fun to write with, isn't it? Your macro nib photographs show it off well.

Thanks Steve, thanks Bob, thanks very much..This is my first 40 mm nib and I have really enjoyed writing so far with it.....

Sagar Bhowmick

Nice review sagar.. pen is fabulous..

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

Awesome review and a fabulous pen , subbu sir told me that ASA pens will be manufacturing these beauties again from next month :). Will egarly wait for one .. Can you prodivde me with e diameter of the section please ?

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INDIAN PENS .. IF YOU HAVE ANY KINDLY PM ME..

Nice review sagar.. pen is fabulous..

Thanks very much Jay...

Sagar Bhowmick

Awesome review and a fabulous pen , subbu sir told me that ASA pens will be manufacturing these beauties again from next month :). Will egarly wait for one .. Can you prodivde me with e diameter of the section please ?

Thanks very much Dr. Mukherjee, Section diameter is 14 mm, tapers to 13 mm from 15 mm.

Sagar Bhowmick

It's "Veni, Vidi, Vici", which means "I came, I saw, I won/conquered".

I used 'It' instead of 'I' intentionally to point at "ASA PENS". Vini is a mistake ...Thanks.

Sagar Bhowmick

Awesome Review and pictures.

I just relived my childhood days. My school used to have these trees, lining the road. Fresh flowers used to sometimes falls on us while we walk. The blooms used to be a treat to eye.

Superb review, the Heritage as the name coined, is truly worthy of this pen. Its a Jumbo, pen, very well balanced and extremely well crafted.

It deserves all the kudos and so does your beautiful review.

Thank you for liking the pen and sharing it here.

Thank you for the wonderful review. Somehow your choice of the orange flowers, that particular ink, and your photo compositions conveyed your love of the pen as clearly as did your words.

ron

Awesome Review and pictures.

I just relived my childhood days. My school used to have these trees, lining the road. Fresh flowers used to sometimes falls on us while we walk. The blooms used to be a treat to eye.

Superb review, the Heritage as the name coined, is truly worthy of this pen. Its a Jumbo, pen, very well balanced and extremely well crafted.

It deserves all the kudos and so does your beautiful review.

Thank you for liking the pen and sharing it here.

Thank you Dada..your wonderful creation goads me to write this review..it's a superb pen...

Sagar Bhowmick

Thank you for the wonderful review. Somehow your choice of the orange flowers, that particular ink, and your photo compositions conveyed your love of the pen as clearly as did your words.

ron

Ron, I really adore this pen. Thanks for giving some time to read the review.

Sagar Bhowmick

Sagar, Thank you for an excellent review. Your descriptions of the pen & its performance, along with your remarkably detailed photographs, make for very entertaining & enlightening reading and looking. Thank you again for educating us all by adding much to our knowledge of this fountain pen. Best wishes, Barry

Nice review. yes, I'm interested and I could not find it on the ASA website.

Also, what's the cost?

Thanks

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”