Pen And Personality Type.

Inky.Fingers

Every time I have been forced to take the Myers-Briggs, the results have been INTP. I don't remember the exact percentages, but the I has always been the strongest/significantly highest percentage by a mile.

My pens, Sheaffer No Nonsense and Conaisseur/Levenger Seas, are consistent with everything else that I own, from my clothes to my home. I require form and function; I am drawn in by appearance, but a thing has to work well and be well designed, too. I choose functional, durable items with clean, simplified lines in colors that I prefer - usually purple or black.

I'm also a Libra and a Water Ox, for what it's worth, and a quiz that I recently took on the PBS website tells me that Sherlock Holmes is my ideal boyfriend. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• torstar

• DrDebG

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assumed it was a good place to meet more INTPs than you would in 2,000 years of a normal life.

I have met an extravert with many nice pens, and yet to meet one with spectacular penmanship.

Hmm - did you just through a gauntlet down? :lticaptd:

I would suggest that you do a survey. I bet you will find far more I's than E's and far more N's than S's. But who knows. It would be fun.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

post-129157-0-51927300-1463599723_thumb.jpg

Ouch, 3% from being pure autistic? 😅

I'm visually drawn to demonstrators and translucent pens, but as soon as I write with them I fall in love with the best working ones. Semi-vintage Pelikan M200 and Pilot 912 FA, both plain black...

I dislike stiff nibs, have some stubs and italics, but don't love them. If I have 2 pens of the same kind, feel strong urge to give one away.

MB 149 leaves me cold, M1000 demo on the other hand... 😆

Have no fear where you are on the spectrum. You will always find a friend on the opposite side of the spectrum. As they say opposite attracts.

I remember my full M-B score was similar. Recognizing where I stand, I've strived to balance myself. I am still I but less of it but I am still me.

I'm ENTJ, and while penmanship is far from spectacular, it is getting better.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

ESTP

Extravert(3%) Sensing(38%) Thinking(59%) Perceiving(12%)

• You have marginal or no preference of Extraversion over Introversion (3%)
  • You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (38%)
  • You have distinct preference of Thinking over Feeling (59%)
  • You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (12%)

I own a few diplomats and a few parkers, not sure if there's a correlation though

The Myers Briggs which the OP has posted is really only a small portion of the overall test. There are several websites which administer one of the full forms of the Myers Briggs. People need to remember that this is an assessment based on preferences, not actualities.

You are correct. It is actually called the Myers-Briggs Type INDICATOR (emphasis is mine) or MBTI. It has much more to it than the 64 questions here and should only be administered by a fully accredited professional. It measures preferences, ie "If it didn't matter to anyone, which do you prefer...." The correct way to describe a result is "I prefer or have a preference for ENTP" for example not "I am an ENTP". For the overwhelming majority of people, MBTI preferences stay the same over a lifetime but people sometimes experience different results from the Indicator questions due to other life factors. The outcome of the instrument is designed to be merely a starting point for identifying type preference.

Preference is never an excuse for behaviour and this tool is merely designed to help people understand parts of themselves and others, but only part.

It is a useful introduction to understanding difference and I often use it with people to help them understand themselves better and understand why their attempts at communicating with others aren't working. It has many other applications and is often used for career planning/guidance. I think that's a mistake because a person's preference says nothing about their ability or behaviour.

Apologies for going on, I tried to stay out of this thread but felt there was significant misunderstanding.

Every time I have been forced to take the Myers-Briggs, the results have been INTP. I don't remember the exact percentages, but the I has always been the strongest/significantly highest percentage by a mile.

My pens, Sheaffer No Nonsense and Conaisseur/Levenger Seas, are consistent with everything else that I own, from my clothes to my home. I require form and function; I am drawn in by appearance, but a thing has to work well and be well designed, too. I choose functional, durable items with clean, simplified lines in colors that I prefer - usually purple or black.

I'm also a Libra and a Water Ox, for what it's worth, and a quiz that I recently took on the PBS website tells me that Sherlock Holmes is my ideal boyfriend. :)

ditto, but Waterman/Lamy and Leo.

However, I can assure you I would have no interest in Sherlock Holmes as a boyfriend, a mere gender bias on my part.

X

Over the course of many years I have taken a multitude of online & offline tests and I have a preference for INFJ.

Both in pens and everything else, I enjoy understated designs, of things that do the job well, without bragging about it, so to speak.

I like it when pens have an ink window but can easily live without this feature.

I can equally enjoy the flowing, almost organic lines of the Carene as well as the artificial, mechanical precision of a Rotring 600.

I prefer my nibs to be soft and smooth and if can't have both, I usually pick function over form - but for a pen to qualify as great, there has to be a synergy between the two.

I currently have just one ink and if I would have to choose just one pen to write with, I'd probably go with a Parker 51.

You are correct. It is actually called the Myers-Briggs Type INDICATOR (emphasis is mine) or MBTI. It has much more to it than the 64 questions here and should only be administered by a fully accredited professional. It measures preferences, ie "If it didn't matter to anyone, which do you prefer...." The correct way to describe a result is "I prefer or have a preference for ENTP" for example not "I am an ENTP". For the overwhelming majority of people, MBTI preferences stay the same over a lifetime but people sometimes experience different results from the Indicator questions due to other life factors. The outcome of the instrument is designed to be merely a starting point for identifying type preference.

Preference is never an excuse for behaviour and this tool is merely designed to help people understand parts of themselves and others, but only part.

It is a useful introduction to understanding difference and I often use it with people to help them understand themselves better and understand why their attempts at communicating with others aren't working. It has many other applications and is often used for career planning/guidance. I think that's a mistake because a person's preference says nothing about their ability or behaviour.

Apologies for going on, I tried to stay out of this thread but felt there was significant misunderstanding.

It's can be a fun time of hocus pocus with the MBTI

I refer to it to reread my weaknesses and flaws and try not to run away from challenging them.

Newjelan, that's how the MBTI was explained to me as well. We did it as a team some years ago. We were a very diverse team (not just backgrounds, but roles and skills as well) and our manager had us take it to help us understand how to better communicate. It did help, once we had it explained. Now I understood why the project managers couldn't/wouldn't see the big picture and be able to act based on general guidelines, but instead needed specific checklists and detailed instructions.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

It has many other applications and is often used for career planning/guidance. I think that's a mistake because a person's preference says nothing about their ability or behaviour.

Glad you explained this.

Although my preferences are INFP, the stuff I've always done, and been good at, the stuff that appeals to me and I want to do, and the way I'd be perceived by others (my best guess on the last one anyway) probably wouldn't reflect those preferences.

Newjelan, that's how the MBTI was explained to me as well. We did it as a team some years ago. We were a very diverse team (not just backgrounds, but roles and skills as well) and our manager had us take it to help us understand how to better communicate. It did help, once we had it explained. Now I understood why the project managers couldn't/wouldn't see the big picture and be able to act based on general guidelines, but instead needed specific checklists and detailed instructions.

for one session they moved us freaks (hee) to one side of the room and the normal folk to the other

the speaker said if you got rid of us freaks, the normal people would have to shut down the company within 4 monts

and that if you fired everyone and kept the freaks, the company would have to shut down in about 2 weeks.

I went to the assessment as a team too. It was a realatively new team, being in the internet boom day.

And it's so true. You really need both the freaks and the party guy.

Us freaks always complaining about how the party guys are all parties and spending our hard earned work. Party guys always thinks us freaks needed a girl friend. So true! We also realize without the party guy, our product got no places to go.

So, it is said about the Ying and the Yang. I am Chinese but I've never have met the Ying or the Yang!😭

Edited by InkyTongue

And my job for the past 20 years has been to bridge the freaks and the normals since I speak both languages, and in complete sentences. Normally. And I can say with full sincerity that some of my best friends are freaks, and some are "normals." Love ya all.

-Montaigne

Would anyone - at least those who've perhaps interacted with me or read my posts for while (but anyone really) - like to hazard a guess what my type is? All responses taken in good humour of course. :D

And I'll drag it out once again, the founder of Brain Types did a lot of work with pro athletes, the NBA was the most interested in typing.

A large portion of the greats of the game tended to be ISTP. Only one NBA player tested INTP for several years, they tend not to stick around with team sports.

I couldn't fit into sticking with University varsity hoops, it wasn't a world I wanted to continue with for long.