Quality Control Issues?

AmeyaG

Has anybody experienced serious quality control issues with Safaris, vistas and Al stars? 3 out of 4 safaris and 1 out of 2 Al stars I own have scratchy medium nibs. All of them are bought from different places. Some are misaligned out of the box, one of them has a slit that is not properly cut, it's cut at an angle rather than a straight vertical cut. No more Lamys for me.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• prashant.tikekar

• AmeyaG

• nura

All my Safaris and Al Stars in EF and F nibs were smooth out of the box. I filled them after flushing with mild dishwasher liquid.

Sorry to read about the bad nibs of your Lamys.All of the Lamys that I have are reliably writers with the exception of a 2000.

Have you possibly received some fake Lamys? The market is full of them these days. Be a shame to blame Lamy QC for the quality of fake pens.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Have you possibly received some fake Lamys? The market is full of them these days. Be a shame to blame Lamy QC for the quality of fake pens.

All of them are bought from William Penn stores (the only authorized importer of Lamy in India) and not online. Also pens came with warranty cards with retailer's stamp. I made sure they are genuine and not fake.

Edited by AmeyaG

All of them are bought from William Penn stores (the only authorized importer of Lamy in India) and not online. Also pens came with warranty cards with retailer's stamp. I made sure they are genuine and not fake.

Unfortunately pens in stores in India are not in sealed pack (except parker vector beta etc) and hence there is possibility that are tampered. In case of Lamy, nibs are swappable hence there more possibility of nibs being swapped. If you have purchased from store and have warranty card then just get exchanged the faulty ones. I have most Lamys purchased before distribution was taken over by William Penn ( Then Linc pens was authorised importer of Lamy.) through store as well as online and never had bad experience.

Ameya. I think it would be a good idea to take some clear pictures of the defects and document them here.

I have had some lemons from Lamy which needed a good tuneup before they would write fine. But this happens with almost every brand.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Has anybody experienced serious quality control issues with Safaris, vistas and Al stars? 3 out of 4 safaris and 1 out of 2 Al stars I own have scratchy medium nibs. All of them are bought from different places. Some are misaligned out of the box, one of them has a slit that is not properly cut, it's cut at an angle rather than a straight vertical cut. No more Lamys for me.

I have multiple M, F, and EF Lamy nibs. They all vary a bit from one another, but not in the way you're describing. Visually, they all appear identical across a given size (barring minor details like whether I bought a black or silver nib). The nib slits are all straight verticals. The nib tines are aligned.

Where I do notice differences is line width. Some of the Ms write what I think of as a "true" M line, nice and solid, while others are rather finer. One of the Fs also writes like what I'd think of as a "true" M. One of the EFs has an extremely fine line compared to all the other nibs I have, including ones on Japanese pens.

I'd do a warranty claim on yours or return them. Safaris are the pens I use to addict people to fountain pens. They're not usually the finest nibs going, but they're very sturdy and reliable nibs.

Got to agree with Torrilin.

Your experience is both unusual and unfortunate. The only "scratchy" Lamy I've ever come across in my 20+ Lamy nib experience was an extra fine.

Hopefully CS will take care of you.

I've found that the tine gap on these nibs can make a big difference to the ink flow, (of course) so that a thou of an inch or 2, either way can make a big difference to the amount of ink flowing, which can feel like 'scratchyness' if too little ink.

Overall my half a dozen LAMY nibs are fairly consistent,( all 'M's though), but a quick check with a 10x loupe can show up differences in height between the 2 halves, easily corrected with a fingernail.

Also I've found that my 'best' or smoothest nibs are the ones I've used the most, my 2010 charcoal Safari with medium nib couldn't really be any better, strangely it has the tipping over to one side, not very centered, but it writes so well.

• 10 months later...

Ameya. I think it would be a good idea to take some clear pictures of the defects and document them here.

I have had some lemons from Lamy which needed a good tuneup before they would write fine. But this happens with almost every brand.

Best

Hari

Hi all. I recently purchased a Lamy CP1 in fine nib.Though silky smooth, I find the ink flow to be too wet. I tried 1) Lamy blue that came with the pen 2) Waterman mysterious blue 3) Pelikan 4001 royal blue but all seems to be too wet for a fine nib. I own a Lamy safari in medium nib. Though it gives true medium width, it is not too wet like the CP1 in fine nib. I'm pondering two options: 1) Whether changing the nib of CP1 to extra fine reduce the ink flow? 2) whether swapping the feed from an extra fine safari( i'm also not sure whether the safari feed suits the cp1)helps to reduce the ink flow?

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that some Safaris sold for cheap are fake. Any pictures??

When you say fake are you referring to Jinhaos that are replicas to the Safaris? Regards, Ron

Not the Jinhaos, which clearly carry a Jinhao logo on them and have noticeable differences such as the clip design.

There are counterfeit Safaris on the market that precisely duplicate the Safari design, have a Lamy logo on the pen and packaging, but are not made by Lamy.

So, it has been a few weeks since you initially posted your questions about your Lamy pens. Have the issues been resolved ?

Well, I bet the pens were fakes he bought, or if there were not fakes, it was user error on the OP's part that got the nibs to behave the way he claims the Lamy pens did.

It was more than a few weeks, I'm afraid. The OP posted in May of 2016! :unsure:

:P And I thought it had just been a few days!