Pen Donations?

You are doing great job, Papamud. Thumbs up.

With regard to voicing it continually check how many times David has put himself out there, I repeat that its not about what FPN can do for YOU its what YOU can do for FPN,I rest my case.

O'Neill,

I've only asked for pens once, as I recall. I would protest that I've not "prostituted" myself, but you are correct in that many many people have donated an awful lot of pens for my students!

I certainly do not mean to offend.

I'm not sure what you mean by "putting himself out there." I believe that I have said that donations are welcome, but I did that only after consulting with more than one person who had donated.

I would LOVE to return the favour to FPN, but have no idea what to do other than to say thanks! I've told everyone on this thread the names of every student who has won a pen, and tried to advocate for students to become enthusiasts... which are two ways I thought I could pay it back to everyone.

I apologise to anyone who has been offended.

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papamud

• mmg122

• SevenInkyFingers

• j-e-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was very happy to gather up some pens, inks & notebooks which I gladly sent along to Mr. Morrealle @ his address which I either obtained from here or another friend who had done same.

I received a very gracious message of thanks & appreciation for the package, including a question if I would like acknowledgement here. I declined, saying it was unnecessary & was merely happy to offer what little support I was able. I have enjoyed seeing his posts here & quite enjoyed being able to send what I could to support his efforts.

I hope I will be in a position to do the same again sometime & thank him again for his bringing the joy of pen & ink to young students.

Obviously lots of you did not agree with me, oneill however I stand firm when I say the FPN is not here to provide pens by donation from good hearted members it is here to assist with advice and help but not in the manner which David thinks is fitting, I make the point if we all asked for donations where would we be? I will continue with my criticism of David every time I see him use these pages to prostitute himself. Trust me. oneill

A JUSTICE person.

We are, as is often said, a merry band of enablers. That is the whole point of the PIF and group buy forums. I haven't contributed anything to David but a bit of advice and an attaboy or two. He's said he wants to enable his best students in using fountain pens. A whole bunch of us have said we'd like to help. And it's not like anyone is harming himself by giving; each has voluntarily given what he can afford, with the expectation that giving will make him happier than keeping, or selling.

And it's not like David has deceived us, or threatened us. He's done neither. He has only invited us to give beyond the confines of our little community, and I for one am pleased by the number of members who have taken him up on it.

The results have been exactly what we might hope for -- enthusiastic new and potentially lifelong members for the fountain pen community, and inspiration for kids who have it tough to apply preparation and hard work to their lives, in the hopes of improving them going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

David...the end of fourth quarter is rapidly approaching! Please let us know what items are needed for your end of year awards. You can PM me if you'd prefer.

Just wanted to add...I am very offended by the member who accused David of prostituting himself. We have several members who we support for programs like David's or Student Scholarship Awards Programs like Shawn Newton's. We also have an amazing amount of members who do PIFs with pens, inks and paper, or contribute loaner pens to allow other members to experience pens they might not otherwise be able to try. This is a very giving community of like minded folks and I feel quite fortunate to be a member and to be able to participate. Nobody has twisted my arm, threatened me or begged. In every case they've made me aware of the work they are doing and enabled me to experience the joy of participating in a meaningful way and contribute to a hobby I love. I, for one, am grateful for the Davids and Shawns of this world.

Mary

David...the end of fourth quarter is rapidly approaching! Please let us know what items are needed for your end of year awards. You can PM me if you'd prefer.

Just wanted to add...I am very offended by the member who accused David of prostituting himself. We have several members who we support for programs like David's or Student Scholarship Awards Programs like Shawn Newton's. We also have an amazing amount of members who do PIFs with pens, inks and paper, or contribute loaner pens to allow other members to experience pens they might not otherwise be able to try. This is a very giving community of like minded folks and I feel quite fortunate to be a member and to be able to participate. Nobody has twisted my arm, threatened me or begged. In every case they've made me aware of the work they are doing and enabled me to experience the joy of participating in a meaningful way and contribute to a hobby I love. I, for one, am grateful for the Davids and Shawns of this world.

Mary

I returned to this spot to repeat my gratitude for the opportunity to share my hobby, especially with young people. However, I can add nothing to Mary's sentiments. So, if you will allow, Mary,

ME, TOO !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks all. I admit that took me a little by surprise and made me feel like I was over-stepping. The support is very much appreciated!

I have been wanting to give back to the forum somehow... Not sure how to do that, given that I know less than anyone here about pens and ink, and have nothing that anyone might like in that arena!

I have put money of my own into this, and the kids truly do look forward to the pens. Lately I've been trying to figure out how to award the "kids in the middle" who do not normally earn awards, and even some of the kids who are at the bottom who could really use some encouragement!

I am out for the next week and a half, recovering from gallbladder surgery, and am looking forward to getting back to my classroom! I'll post the 3rd quarter winners as soon as I get back. This surgery was unexpected and, coupled with spring break, meant that the 3rd quarter awards were late going out!

Until then, thanks again. This forum rewards my faith in humankind! Thank you.

David

D. Morreale

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

How to encourage the others is definitely an interesting and worthwhile question. There are at least a couple of things to consider.

First, you don't want to reward a lack of effort. Given the way the real world works, I regard that as doing children a grave disservice. Rewards for those who improve are worthwhile, but you always want to keep them striving for more, so the rewards for improvement should not be as great as those for high achievement. I suppose you could offer them the chance at buying discounted inexpensive pens (e.g., half off bulk-purchased Jinhao 599s?)

Second, I would be surprised if all of your students could be motivated by fountain pens, ink, and paper. Or the subject matter you teach. Or grades. You're the one who deals with them, so it will have to be on you to figure this one out. Some of them are unlikely to put any emphasis or priority on schoolwork regardless of what you do. The most heartbreaking thing about Hell is that you cannot stop people from going.

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the right place for this post... If not, I apologise and will gladly place it elsewhere if someone will direct me.

I am an english teacher in Baltimore. Our finals are coming up, and I have this dream of offering fountain pens as prizes to my students (9th and 11th grade) for Best Essay and Best Overall Grade.

My problem is, I am an english teacher! Next year, with more time to budget, I'll just buy a bunch of Jin Hao 450's and be done with it, but this year there's no time or budget for this, so I'm asking here. I did ask Pilot and a few other manufacturers, but have not heard back yet...

I know that there is a strong desire to see others grow into using Fountain Pens, and I'd LOVE to honor my students for their achievements, so I am putting this out there.

Do you have any fountain pens that you'd feel ok donating to this? I'd like to give away 2 pens per class to 4 classes. I'm only asking if you have pens that are perhaps not seeing much use, and that are affordable. Jin Hao/Duke etc.

I'd love to document which pen from which donor gets awarded to which student, and what the student won it for, if the donors wish to be known, and would post it here.

I hope I'm not being overly forward, as I have benefited greatly in my short time as a member of this forum.

Thoughts?

If you do wish to donate, contact me here or via PM and I'll give you the address of the school itself and clue the ladies in the front office to expect packages!!

Thanks all! Please do let me know if this is in the wrong forum!

David (Papamud)

Hi David -

I packed and sealed a box of pens and inks for you in the Fall... It has been sitting on my kitchen counter ever since -

I believe I have the address.... if you PM it anyway, I'll get it sent this week .... If I remember, gold and black are the school colors... I can't even recall what I put in the box.... sheesh. My kitchen will miss it :lticaptd:

Lately more lurking than active for several reasons, but...

If only for the guilty pleasure of annoying the recent case of Luke 18:6 KJV I despatched a donation today. After all you asked politely only once, approved by the powers that be, and further kept your promise to keep us informed. The righteous cannot blame you for that.

Apart from some FP's it includes some other writing instruments for those who are not into FP's and, since you seem to hatch some 'ink'lings, some ink samples of Waterman Purple, Parker Penman Sapphire and Akkerman orange are 'ink'luded. No big deal, I'm just pruning the stock of parts and pieces and strangers.

Remember the Average Family, Papamud.

While not outstanding in performance, they are loyal, reliable, consistent, and always present. The Average Family provide a reference to measure high and low performance; they are your basic audience, giving nonverbal feedback when you're lecturing and annoying or inspiring, they are supportive and silently inspiring the high potentials (I can do better than that!), never complain, just being average. You will find hidden qualities in the Average Family to reward, I'm sure.

I have sent you several emails regarding a donation but have not received any answer. Have a box ready to go. Please send me your address.

Shaughn, I hid the prior post because it contained an address and we prohibit the posting of addresses and phone numbers on FPN.

All, please use PMs (private messages) to convey addresses.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I returned to this spot to repeat my gratitude for the opportunity to share my hobby, especially with young people. However, I can add nothing to Mary's sentiments. So, if you will allow, Mary,

ME, TOO !

Absolutely, Sasha. Anytime.

How to encourage the others is definitely an interesting and worthwhile question. There are at least a couple of things to consider.

First, you don't want to reward a lack of effort. Given the way the real world works, I regard that as doing children a grave disservice. Rewards for those who improve are worthwhile, but you always want to keep them striving for more, so the rewards for improvement should not be as great as those for high achievement. I suppose you could offer them the chance at buying discounted inexpensive pens (e.g., half off bulk-purchased Jinhao 599s?)

Second, I would be surprised if all of your students could be motivated by fountain pens, ink, and paper. Or the subject matter you teach. Or grades. You're the one who deals with them, so it will have to be on you to figure this one out. Some of them are unlikely to put any emphasis or priority on schoolwork regardless of what you do. The most heartbreaking thing about Hell is that you cannot stop people from going.

I agree! This is the biggest difficulty I have as a teacher... watching students blow their potential because so many former teachers soured them on education and the classroom!

I'm working on it though, with the help of the folks on this forum, I might add!

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Mary, Amber, Sasha, and Purple,

Thanks so much for the support and the donations. My students are thrilled and many of them really have tried hard to win a pen. Mary's notebook donations have been awarded to some of my students, but the Creative Writing Club approached me about prizes for their club and I ended up donating the Black 'n' Reds to them, for the most part. Those kids are hardcore writers and they lost their minds over those notebooks. It was really sweet to see.

Thanks again,

You people are truly a lovely bunch!

D.

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Do you have one that told a creative and scary story that didn't get another prize? I subscribe to the Evil Supply company and I get a notebook each month. They are little and I enjoy them, but I really enjoy sharing them with people who love them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Exactly. I'm too nice so I have evil delivered to me. (It wards off the crazies).

papamud - mailed you off a box today. Should be there Friday.

Thanks for all you do.