Pen Donations?

Hey all,
I don't know if this is the right place for this post... If not, I apologise and will gladly place it elsewhere if someone will direct me.

I am an english teacher in Baltimore. Our finals are coming up, and I have this dream of offering fountain pens as prizes to my students (9th and 11th grade) for Best Essay and Best Overall Grade.

My problem is, I am an english teacher! Next year, with more time to budget, I'll just buy a bunch of Jin Hao 450's and be done with it, but this year there's no time or budget for this, so I'm asking here. I did ask Pilot and a few other manufacturers, but have not heard back yet...

I know that there is a strong desire to see others grow into using Fountain Pens, and I'd LOVE to honor my students for their achievements, so I am putting this out there.

Do you have any fountain pens that you'd feel ok donating to this? I'd like to give away 2 pens per class to 4 classes. I'm only asking if you have pens that are perhaps not seeing much use, and that are affordable. Jin Hao/Duke etc.

I'd love to document which pen from which donor gets awarded to which student, and what the student won it for, if the donors wish to be known, and would post it here.

I hope I'm not being overly forward, as I have benefited greatly in my short time as a member of this forum.

Thoughts?

If you do wish to donate, contact me here or via PM and I'll give you the address of the school itself and clue the ladies in the front office to expect packages!!

Thanks all! Please do let me know if this is in the wrong forum!

David (Papamud)

Edited by Papamud

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papamud

• mmg122

• SevenInkyFingers

• j-e-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi David,

Put me down for two (2) Jinhao 599's. I keep a stock of them to give folks who display an interest in fountain pens. Even though I won't get to see the expressions of the recipients (which makes it totally worth it to me) this seems to be along the same lines and I try to encourage anyone to join our fray. I'll PM you as well.

All my best,

Ken

Hi David,

Put me down for two (2) Jinhao 599's. I keep a stock of them to give folks who display an interest in fountain pens. Even though I won't get to see the expressions of the recipients (which makes it totally worth it to me) this seems to be along the same lines and I try to encourage anyone to join our fray. I'll PM you as well.

All my best,

Ken

Ken, you'll definitely see their expressions, as my plan is to document who gave which pen to which student, with photos and all.

I'm overwhelmed by your generosity. Thank you, on behalf of my most amazing students! I'll answer your pm as soon as I change a diaper (on the baby!) and settle in in the computer.

Thanks again!!!

D. Morreale

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Ken, you'll definitely see their expressions, as my plan is to document who gave which pen to which student, with photos and all.

I'm overwhelmed by your generosity. Thank you, on behalf of my most amazing students! I'll answer your pm as soon as I change a diaper (on the baby!) and settle in in the computer.

Thanks again!!!

You just missed one of my big giveaways, but I may still have a few. Interested in anything like the Varsity? Even if not, I may have a couple of others. Let me know.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

You just missed one of my big giveaways, but I may still have a few. Interested in anything like the Varsity? Even if not, I may have a couple of others. Let me know.

Sailor,

I'd be interested in whatever you'd like to donate, thank you very much for the donation!

I'll PM you and we can discuss there if you'd like pics and whatnot posted to the forum, good?

Thank you!

David

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Sailor,

I'd be interested in whatever you'd like to donate, thank you very much for the donation!

I'll PM you and we can discuss there if you'd like pics and whatnot posted to the forum, good?

Thank you!

David

Great. Talk to you back-channel!

How about 4 Jinhao 250s?

PM with address and I will get them right out.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I think this topic needs to be bumped.

What this man is doing for his students is something not many teachers do anymore, unfortunately. I feel like this is our opportunity on FPN to shine!

I posted four pens to him today and the feeling in my heart when I dropped them at the Post Office was amazing! I onlywcsh I could have sent more!

Folks, I am so grateful for this! I can't wait to award these pens to my students. They're great kids and many of them come from awful situations, and they're still trying hard.

I read a study once that the two figures in high school that students go to with their problems are coaches and english teachers, and I've read so many of these kids' essays, and have been impressed with their honesty.

My students are so amazing, and I know they're going to really love these pens.

I started out crafty... I showed them the pens that I hope to own one day, and started grading and writing passes with my Kakuno... and they're totally curious about it now, and now, some of them will have pens of their own! I'm beyond grateful.

I'm inviting my principal to come in for one of the award ceremonies too!

Thank you!

David

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

I'm not at home, but I may have as many as two or three possibles. Will be a few days before I know for sure.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Certainly, a few "cheapies" are within a teacher's means. An opportunity, for fountain pen lovers, to share penophylia is a genuine gift to us all. Thanks !

My range of pens includes 1922 Parker Duofold to LAMY 2000 to 99-cent Chinese pens. Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue seems to function universally well in all. However, a "washable" blue might minimize parental disdain. .

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Certainly, a few "cheapies" are within a teacher's means. An opportunity, for fountain pen lovers, to share penophylia is a genuine gift to us all. Thanks !

My range of pens includes 1922 Parker Duofold to LAMY 2000 to 99-cent Chinese pens. Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue seems to function universally well in all. However, a "washable" blue might minimize parental disdain. .

Sasha, indeed! Great idea on the ink.

Many MANY thanks for your kindness.

David

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Wow! I am so excited for this group of high school students! You are all amazingly generous people!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Wow! I am so excited for this group of high school students! You are all amazingly generous people!

Frankly, I am awed and humbled by the response from the lovely folks here. I don't even know how to adequately thank everyone. My students are going to LOVE these pens.

I will be well documenting this whole thing. I'm inviting my principal and other teachers in to see the Awards Ceremony in the hopes that other teachers will think of things they can do also.

This is one hell of a generous place. Thank you.

David

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Hey All!

I believe that I have enough pens headed in my direction now! Any and all pens will be awarded, this year, but I don't want folks to continue donating if I have all that I need.

I even have someone donating ink cartridges!

The response to this request has been overwhelming, and I want to say, one more time, how awed and humbled I am by the generosity displayed here towards my students.

What a lovely bunch of pen fanatics!

If you've offered prior to this post, thank you and I am looking forward to my many packages arriving in the mail at my school! If you would still like to donate, I'll place them in my file to be awarded next year, but please only donate if you're ok with that.

Again, my thanks to you, on behalf of my students!!

David Morreale

Parkville High School

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Hey All!

I believe that I have enough pens headed in my direction now! Any and all pens will be awarded, this year, but I don't want folks to continue donating if I have all that I need.

I even have someone donating ink cartridges!

The response to this request has been overwhelming, and I want to say, one more time, how awed and humbled I am by the generosity displayed here towards my students.

What a lovely bunch of pen fanatics!

If you've offered prior to this post, thank you and I am looking forward to my many packages arriving in the mail at my school! If you would still like to donate, I'll place them in my file to be awarded next year, but please only donate if you're ok with that.

Again, my thanks to you, on behalf of my students!!

David Morreale

Parkville High School

Well, shoot. You didn't say nothin' 'bout ink.... :P

Well, shoot. You didn't say nothin' 'bout ink.... :P

Hell, everyone is being so darn generous, I figured I'd wait to see which pens would show up and I'd know which cartridges to get then. Any pens that have converters I'll just teach the students how to use them and point them in the direction to get the right bottled ink after giving them a starter cartridge...

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

I wish I had a teacher like you at highschool :P

The kids make it easy.

I recently thanked one of my students for "making me look good in my observation." He smiled and said, "Mr. Morreale, you did that yourself."

That remains one of the finest compliments I have ever received, from anyone.

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

I missed sending a pen but I am amazed at the generosity of the people on the forum. I, for one, am eagerly waiting to see some pictures or read some comments. Be sure to keep us updated!

If you plan to do this next year, please consider allowing forum members to participate again. I would like to participate next year. I recently got into fountain pens (other than calligraphy pens, which I have used for years) and have discovered that I prefer a fine line. So I have a few medium nibbled pens that I could donate, Jinhao, Baoer, and a few others.

Have you considered having them personalized? I am guessing that I can't include a link to the fleabay listing but if you search for "Baoer 388 personalized" you will find one that can be personalized for less than $10. I'd be happy to sponsor one!