• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RalphP

• JonSzanto

• Erik Dalton

• hood

Dang, I just passed out! What a beautiful pen! What a craftsman!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Fabulous work Ralph! Thanks for sharing!

In use today: MB LeGrand Pettit Prince and Aviator, Pelikan M100N, Conid First Production Run demonstrator.

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE Damascened anything, and this pen is no exception. Not sure how you do it with 51s. Unfortunately, I'm one of those ignorant of your name and reputation. Do you make these Parker 51s from scratch? Modify already-made ones? I'm sorry that I don't know what's going on, here, but I would (almost) kill for a Damascened fountain pen of just about any brand! I have a bunch of knives with the blades made this way, and I've seen some with their handles Damascened, but I've never seen it in fountain pens! A-freaking-MAZING!

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Wow, although this style is too much for my taste, I can see a lot of work has been put into it and can appreciate that.

:thumbup:

Edited by utopic

I LOVE Damascened anything, and this pen is no exception. Not sure how you do it with 51s. Unfortunately, I'm one of those ignorant of your name and reputation. Do you make these Parker 51s from scratch? Modify already-made ones? I'm sorry that I don't know what's going on, here, but I would (almost) kill for a Damascened fountain pen of just about any brand! I have a bunch of knives with the blades made this way, and I've seen some with their handles Damascened, but I've never seen it in fountain pens! A-freaking-MAZING!

In a design such as this, Ralph uses the Parker 51 nib, feed and collector, as well as the clip of an original pen, while making every other part (barrel, hood/section, filling mechanism, blind cap, cap, jewels, etc) from scratch using unique metals and other cool materials.

A true artist :)

I have a bunch of knives with the blades made this way, and I've seen some with their handles Damascened, but I've never seen it in fountain pens! A-freaking-MAZING!

Not to get too OT (and I love Ralph's work, as noted earlier), but the the relatively new Tactile Turn Gist fountain pen can be ordered with portions of it done in Damascus steel.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks!

One later step in completing the pen is the "acid bath" or cooking it as I call it. It is the stage where a small amount the softer of the two types of stainless steel are are removed by the acid - to what extent is somewhat personal preference or the effect your looking for.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pratherpens/Damascus51Etching_zpscd14e9fe.jpg

Different effects are found in different patterns.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pratherpens/Twist-51-MR_zps82973c9b.jpg

This is a small acid etched piece of the 1/2 inch rod used to make one of the pens.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pratherpens/Bluetounge-CS_zpsa42ebd6d.jpg

Crop circles have nothing on this material!

ralph

Here is a link to a thread long long ago that showed our first Damascus Stainless Steel pens:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/214070-custom-51s-in-damascus-stainless-steel/?hl=prather

• 2 weeks later...

Looks really cool

How much does that thing weigh?

Thanks! Good question...

A randomly selected plastic double jewel 51 weighed in at about 20 g. - the Damascus Stainless steel pen with a metal filler unit weighed in at about 56 g. - a substantial pen but enjoyable to write with...

ralph prather

Way too heavy a pen. And extremely beautiful.

Yes, could well be for some... & Thanks!

The weight of pens is interesting. In the photo below the mostly metal pens ar arranged from left to right as the lightest to heaviest.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pratherpens/Pens-Weight_zpsuejydyqk.jpg

1. Heat treated (colored mostly blue) titanium Parker 75; 15.8 g.

2. Parker T-1; 17.1 g.

3. Parker 75 Pewter 75 prototype; 27.2 g.

4. Parker 75 Premier Solid 18k Gold; 48 g.

5. Grayson Tighe titanium FP; 57.2 g.

6. Subject 51 Damascus Stainless Steel; 58.8 g.

Five and Six are very close in weight but made from different materials.

It is interesting that the lightest pen shown #1 and next to heaviest #5 are both made from titanium.

It is probably mostly due to the different techniques of making.

ralph

• 11 months later...

Ralph is a true master, artist, and just downright nice guy. I have #1 of his series of titanium Parker 51s, in surgical-grade titanium with the original vintage sterling silver cap. This Damascus steel version is wonderful. Kudos!!