What Are The Pelikans Like In Flight?

Bluey

Getting punch drunk from looking at the computer screen all day, so I haven't read all the posts thoroughly. Consequently, I will probably repeat some of what has been said already; if so, just take this as confirmation, ratification, whatever, of those earlier comments.

My favorite Pelikans are the M8XX series. They are a good size for my X-Lg hands, and I like the heft afforded by the brass construction. Even so, I have an M605, which I like, and some M2XX's, which are also okay, although I could not use them for extended writing times, simply because of the smaller size.

Notwithstanding all the ongoing discussion ever since I've been on FPN, I've never - I'll repeat that, never - had a bad experience with a Pelikan, out of the box. They have each and every one performed beautifully. I had an M800 leak between the barrel and section, and Chartpak repaired it without question (I understand some users have had issues with them recently).

My Pelikan collection is not complete yet, and maybe one day I'll start to look at vintage editions. So far, my experience is all with current editions.

Thanks for your input and I'm pleased for you that your experiences with Pelikan have been among the best.

I think the m800 would be too large and heavy for me. For me the Falcon is probably near the top end of what I would comfortably write with. The Jinhoa 159 that I have is made of brass would be too heavy if it weren't so perfectly balanced because of it's shape - the Pelikan m800 is not, so would be too heavy.

For curiosity's sake, why would you buy more than one Pelikan in the range when they have interchangeable nibs?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bluey

• abstract49

• Matlock

• mercurius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Esthetics, in part: They make some beautiful pens. Of course, I'm not wealthy enough to spend whatever I feel like to have everything and, in fact, I have bought nibs separately so that I can swap out and not have to purchase whole new pens.

On the other hand, I want to have different inks available at the same time in similarly performing pens. Usually, it's enough to have, say, a blue in a Sailor, a red in a Pilot, a green in a Visconti, etc. I have all those and then some, and I like them all. Still, having several Pelikans, with different nibs installed and different color inks loaded, satisfies all my needs as well as any other single pen brand could do. I rotate frequently to satisfy my finickiness.

If the M8XX series are too large and/or heavy for you, well, that's what it's all about isn't it? To each his own.

I have more than one Falcon, and I like them and use them frequently. Part of the reason that I rotate as often as I do is that what feels good in my hand this evening did not feel quite right last night. I need to change now and then, because it just feels better. Like changing shoes mid-day to give my feet a break simply by making a change.

Editing to add: Which Falcons? I have a resin model, which is nice for what it is, and a metal version, which I much prefer. I am seriously shopping another metal or two, to buy sooner than I buy another Pel.

Me not being wealthy is the reason why I'm seeking to get thee one Pelikan that's right for me rather than buy several. Apart from the classic look Pelikan there aren't any that are distinctive enough to warrant buying more than one unless it's from the m200 range - I like the look of the blue demonstrator m200 but it also looks far too much like a Twsbi which I already have. There are different colours but the styling is basically all the same to me.

I have the metal Falcon in burgundy which I've only recently bought. I didn't fancy the resin version as it looks very cheap in comparison even though it was quite a lot cheaper. With the distinctive nib it feels like it needs a barrel that does it more justice especially at that price level. One some pens the resin barrel and section is more suitable, but not for the Falcon, if that makes sense.

I totally get ya about the needing to rotate as I do the same myself. Different moods suit different pens.

Which colour metal Falcon did you buy? I took a long time to decide which colour I wanted out of the brown and the red (I already have another Pilot in the same sapphire blue, so that wasn't an option). The brown, blue and red all look stunning though.

Edited by Bluey

The M200 range is too small for my hands. The section on Pelikans curves inward, which can be uncomfortable.

As for nibs, the gold nibs do have a lot of variation. I bought an M600 EF from Rolf Thiel specifying that I didn't want a "blob" tip - he knew what I meant and sent me one of the best Pelikan nibs I've ever owned (including vintage).

I also love my M800, but tried a few different EF nibs in a store before settling on this one. The shoe analogy holds - handmade shoes do come with slight variations that may make a big difference to the wearer.

If you're considering one (1) Pelikan, you should go to the extra length and visit a brick and mortar store with ample stock (most big cities have one) - if that is not an option, deal with an online seller who has good communication.

Enjoy!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thanks Calabria

I think the m200/m400 will be ok posted so I think the best bet is for me to deal with a trusted online seller or maybe wait for the next local pen show.

I have the M600 and it has the smoothest nib of any pen I have ever owned.

I am tempted by the M800 because of the extra heft, but just wonder how people find the M800 in comparison to the M600. Is it that much bigger in diameter and nib size?

I am tempted by the M800 because of the extra heft, but just wonder how people find the M800 in comparison to the M600. Is it that much bigger in diameter and nib size?

For me smooth nibs are worth nothing because it only takes a few minutes to take the scratchiest nib and turn it into the smoothest. My smoothest is a Jinhao 159 costing about £3. And from what I've read Pelikans are smooth because they over smooth them resulting in lots of reports of babys bottom. That's definitely not a plus point.

For your decision I think the best thing is to visit a B&M shop and try them out because it's personal to you. Good luck!

If you switch between an M6XX and an M8XX in one writing session, you will most assuredly notice differences in girth and heft. Also, in my limited experience (i.e., I only have one M605), the M8XX nibs are wetter by far.

Me not being wealthy is the reason why I'm seeking to get thee one Pelikan that's right for me rather than buy several. Apart from the classic look Pelikan there aren't any that are distinctive enough to warrant buying more than one unless it's from the m200 range - I like the look of the blue demonstrator m200 but it also looks far too much like a Twsbi which I already have. There are different colours but the styling is basically all the same to me.

I have the metal Falcon in burgundy which I've only recently bought. I didn't fancy the resin version as it looks very cheap in comparison even though it was quite a lot cheaper. With the distinctive nib it feels like it needs a barrel that does it more justice especially at that price level. One some pens the resin barrel and section is more suitable, but not for the Falcon, if that makes sense.

I totally get ya about the needing to rotate as I do the same myself. Different moods suit different pens.

Which colour metal Falcon did you buy? I took a long time to decide which colour I wanted out of the brown and the red (I already have another Pilot in the same sapphire blue, so that wasn't an option). The brown, blue and red all look stunning though.

Since this thread is primarily about Pelikans, I hesitated to respond here about the Pilot Falcon experience. But to answer your question, in the metal version I have a red one, and I am resisting the temptation to buy a blue, possibly a brown, mebbe both. Resistance is futile, and I will no doubt cave in the near future.

Since this thread is primarily about Pelikans, I hesitated to respond here about the Pilot Falcon experience. But to answer your question, in the metal version I have a red one, and I am resisting the temptation to buy a blue, possibly a brown, mebbe both. Resistance is futile, and I will no doubt cave in the near future.

No problem. In my opinion the blue looks the nicest out of the 3. Here's a pic of my burgundy Falcon next to my blue Pilot Decimo - no sunlight at the moment so please excuse the rubbish quality. The camera captures the red much more accurately than the blue. Note that the blue is exactly the same shade and sparkly appearance in both pens - very nice indeed :). The brown is a little less sparkly than the red.

post-124227-0-15221400-1463616265_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bluey

Yes, the difference is noticeable, but not unpleasantly so. I've come to take up the M8xx line as a favorite.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

If you switch between an M6XX and an M8XX in one writing session, you will most assuredly notice differences in girth and heft. Also, in my limited experience (i.e., I only have one M605), the M8XX nibs are wetter by far.

On the M800, I thought that the reason why it had a bit of heft is because it has a brass piston. However, in a review of the pen on You Tube by Stephen Brown, he says that it has a plastic piston. That's disappointing, if it's true, as it can't be much heavier that my M605 which I find a bit light for a pen of its girth.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

if the piston itself, or at least the surface that comes in contact with the wall of the barrel, were made of brass, it would wear on those plastic walls very quickly. Perhaps, it's a matter practicality to make the piston itself all plastic of some type, for a good seal and to minimize wear, as opposed to a brass plug with a plastic seal bonded to it. But all the works behind the piston are brass in the M8XX are brass, where in the M6XX and "below," it's all plastic.

On the M800, I thought that the reason why it had a bit of heft is because it has a brass piston. However, in a review of the pen on You Tube by Stephen Brown, he says that it has a plastic piston. That's disappointing, if it's true, as it can't be much heavier that my M605 which I find a bit light for a pen of its girth.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

No the piston and spindle are plastic for obvious reasons. Only the mechanism is brass. It still produces a fairly hefty pen, a little too hefty for some people but I find it about right.

Peter

The M800 has a brass piston mechanism. The shaft and associated pieces are plastic but all M8xx pens have a brass mechanism and it is noticeably heavier than an M6xx. On some finishes, the brass component has a coating which might be mistaken for plastic but it's just a coating.

You can see all the pieces of the piston assembly in this excellent older thread; https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/243286-m800-m1000-piston-filler-unit-under-the-hood/

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Here is a great example of pelicans in flight..... :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

and then there is this one :D

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere, a Pelikan is giving birth to a baby m400 in green and will be flying to me in the next 3 weeks

Edited by Bluey