What Are The Pelikans Like In Flight?

Bluey

I rather love the appearance of the Pelikans with the green/blue/red stripes. It gives them a very classic kind of look.

I was intending to get the m200 because of cost and it has the 2nd best nib after the m1000 from the m200-m1000 range, but my preference is now for the m400 as it has that classic look. Plus it will allow me to ditch the nib and replace it with the better one found in the m200.

I have various pens such as the Platinum 3776, some Pilots a Sailor, some Twsbis, a Waterman, a Jinhao a Hero 100 and some others. All were researched and bought for something unique that they offer me - the Pilot Capless for the click mechanism, the Waterman Carene for it's gorgeous inlaid nib, the Sailor for the versatile zoom nib, the Hero for it's hooded nib, and so on.

My rationale for choosing a Pelikan, apart from wanting that classic look, is because I would like to try a German pen. I do a lot of journal writing in the evening so my interest in fountain pens is more with how it writes than simply collecting/acculumating, and I would love to know that the writing experience is going to be unique in some way relative to the pens that I have. Perhaps they have a unique feel to them?

The only problem with the Pelikans is that they're very overpriced for what they offer, and from reading around they appear to have quite a number of quality control issues with babys bottom and misaligned tines. This, of course, I'm hoping won't happen with the one that I receieve, and if it does at least one of those is easily rectified.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bluey

• abstract49

• Matlock

• fplover01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My advice to you would be to buy a vintage 1950s Pelikan 400 from a trusted seller. Especially if you consider the writing experience to be very important because the 1950s nibs are a dream to write with.

Also the overall build quality of the 1950s Pelikan 400 is absolutely not inferior compared to the modern M400.

Finally, with the money that you would spend on a modern M400, you can buy 3 or 4 vintage 400 Pelikans.

My rationale for choosing a Pelikan, apart from wanting that classic look, is because I would like to try a German pen. I do a lot of journal writing in the evening so my interest in fountain pens is more with how it writes than simply collecting/acculumating, and I would love to know that the writing experience is going to be unique in some way relative to the pens that I have. Perhaps they have a unique feel to them?

The only problem with the Pelikans is that they're very overpriced for what they offer, and from reading around they appear to have quite a number of quality control issues with babys bottom and misaligned tines. This, of course, I'm hoping won't happen with the one that I receieve, and if it does at least one of those is easily rectified.

I would question your observation regarding quality control. Problems can occur with any make of pen and you have to remember that the only people who comment on QC are those that have the problem. The vast majority just get on and use the pen. You have grasped the fact that it is easy to exchange a nib unit so you should have no problems.

As has been stated time and again, the modern s/s M200 nibs are excellent as are the older M400 nibs. But don't write off modern M400 nibs, some people find them great, if a little wide. See if you can try out some different nibs and make up your own mind. Good luck in your search.

Peter

Hi Bluey,

As per Joss, I would recommend a vintage Pel, a 400 or 400nn, rather than buying new. I have several in daily use and they are fab. the last four I have bought over the past year from ebay seller Mabokell (no affiliation). They have all been in excellent condition and are working flawlessly. The nibs are not nearly so blobby as the modern equivalents.

Dom

I would question your observation regarding quality control. Problems can occur with any make of pen and you have to remember that the only people who comment on QC are those that have the problem. The vast majority just get on and use the pen. You have grasped the fact that it is easy to exchange a nib unit so you should have no problems.

As has been stated time and again, the modern s/s M200 nibs are excellent as are the older M400 nibs. But don't write off modern M400 nibs, some people find them great, if a little wide. See if you can try out some different nibs and make up your own mind. Good luck in your search.

+ 1.

I think the QC "problem" is blown way out proportion. In my experience Pelikans have one of the best QC that I have seen, compared to many other brands that I have (that is why I keep buying Pelikans).

I also agree that modern nibs are not to be written off. I do like them, even if the older ones are a bit better. You can always buy a separate nib from the 90s for the M400 and have the best of two worlds: a modern pen with a good variety of binde choices and the excellent nib from the 1990s.

Personally, I consider Pelikans the best value in pens even at the full US prices: they have one of the best pistons around, great variety and quality, and the easiness of exchanging nibs found in very few (more expensive) other pens. But the great thing is that you have some very good options to buy Pelikans at a much reduced price that make them essentially on par, price wise, with Japanese pens bought from Japan.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure you will love a Pelikan.

Agreement here on trying out an older/vintage model. I have only one truly modern Pelikan, an M200 Café Crème. The first one (which I lost :crybaby: ) had a B nib which was skippy till I had it tuned. The replacement (a lucky eBay find) has what is marked as an Italic nib (box sticker says IM) and it's a firehose that I haven't gotten used to yet (occasional railroading, but no skipping :thumbup:).
All my other ones are mostly from the 1980s and 1990s, except for the 1950s era 400 with an OB nib. The other M200 has an M nib that's a bit of a nail -- but it was a gift, so I can't complain :rolleyes:; the nibs on the 400, the M400 (juicy F) and the M100 (1 mm) are all great. All of mine except for the gift one were found on eBay (even the original Café Crème, which I got from Rolf Thiel at missing-pens), at much better prices that MSRP for new. The two most expensive ones for me were the 400 (bought last year) and the M400 (bought a couple of years ago February) -- and both (even with shipping) were under $180 US. (I keep hoping that someone will decide that their pink M600 was a horrible mistake and put it up for some ridiculously low price for me to snap it up -- but then, I have an *extremely* vivid imagination.... B))

Not entirely sure why you want to ditch an M400 nib for an M200, though... (other than possibly the cost of 14K vs. stainless/gold plated stainless).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Joss and Stanley Howler and Ruth, I should have made a disclaimer in that I'm not a fan of vintage because I can't guarantee it's condition when I buy it. Another reason why is that I've only ever used 2 Pelikans, both vintage at a pen show, and the tipping shattered on me within minutes. So I'm rather reluctant there, but thank you for the suggestion.

Only modern and brand new for me, at least for the time being.

Matlock and Lam, I hear ya but that's what I've read so that's all I have to go on regarding the quality control. The reason for me preferring the m200 nibs is because they have more softness which I prefer in writing. Maybe if I have a change of heart I can easily try a vintage or other nib by swapping it out. That's the beauty of Pelikans.

To be honest I don't think I will likely be ever buying more than 1 Pelikan because it wouldn't serve any purpose for me - wtith their similar styling and exchangeable nibs it would be like buying multiple versions of the same pen.

Any ideas as to what Pelikans are like when writing with them? (the general characteristics of modern Pelikans I mean. For example, more feedbacky, ability to feel the paper whatever the nib width etc)

Edited by Bluey

Joss and Stanley Howler and Ruth, I should have made a disclaimer in that I'm not a fan of vintage because I can't guarantee it's condition when I buy it. Another reason why is that I've only ever used 2 Pelikans, both vintage at a pen show, and the tipping shattered on me within minutes. So I'm rather reluctant there, but thank you for the suggestion.

Only modern and brand new for me, at least for the time being.

Matlock and Lam, I hear ya but that's what I've read so that's all I have to go on regarding the quality control. The reason for me preferring the m200 nibs is because they have more softness which I prefer in writing. Maybe if I have a change of heart I can easily try a vintage or other nib by swapping it out. That's the beauty of Pelikans.

To be honest I don't think I will likely be ever buying more than 1 Pelikan because it wouldn't serve any purpose for me - wtith their similar styling and exchangeable nibs it would be like buying multiple versions of the same pen.

Any ideas as to what Pelikans are like when writing with them? (the general characteristics of modern Pelikans I mean. For example, more feedbacky, ability to feel the paper whatever the nib width etc)

I'm just curious, could you elaborate on how the tipping shattered? Did the hard metal (I'm reluctant to call it iridium) fall off? Did you spring the nib?

If you want the best line variation, you almost have to go the vintage route. That said, M200 nibs are still quite springy.

From my experience, the EF and F M200 nibs are very soft, but the M, B, and BB are much more rigid, though that could be a consequence of my limited sample size.

With regards to baby's bottom, while you should be fine most of the time, learning how to correct common nib issues should be a side project that most pen users should look into.

Modern M200s are nice writers. They provide a very consistent ink flow that is moderately wet (though noticeably drier than all the Souveran nib units) and are generally quite smooth. I would say that M200 nib sizes are generally on par with that of the Lamy 2000, and about 0.5-1 grade finer than the modern Pelikan gold nibs.

While spending [even] more money might seem unfathomable at the point, I would suggest looking into an M600, as it matches the size of the #3776, Carene, and most "normal" sized pens better. Another bonus is that they can take the cheaper M200 steel nibs (in addition to vintage 140, 400, 400N, 400NN and modern M200, M400, M600 nibs).

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

I'm just curious, could you elaborate on how the tipping shattered? Did the hard metal (I'm reluctant to call it iridium) fall off? Did you spring the nib?

If you want the best line variation, you almost have to go the vintage route. That said, M200 nibs are still quite springy.

From my experience, the EF and F M200 nibs are very soft, but the M, B, and BB are much more rigid, though that could be a consequence of my limited sample size.

With regards to baby's bottom, while you should be fine most of the time, learning how to correct common nib issues should be a side project that most pen users should look into.

Modern M200s are nice writers. They provide a very consistent ink flow that is moderately wet (though noticeably drier than all the Souveran nib units) and are generally quite smooth. I would say that M200 nib sizes are generally on par with that of the Lamy 2000, and about 0.5-1 grade finer than the modern Pelikan gold nibs.

While spending [even] more money might seem unfathomable at the point, I would suggest looking into an M600, as it matches the size of the #3776, Carene, and most "normal" sized pens better. Another bonus is that they can take the cheaper M200 steel nibs (in addition to vintage 140, 400, 400N, 400NN and modern M200, M400, M600 nibs).

Hi

I think it was either the 100 or 140(NN?) and it was described to me as "vintage flex". So I flexed it. I don't think I got any further than "the quick" before something crumbled under the nib and after that it wrote super scratchy. It was the lady(the wife/GF of the seller, I believe) who said that the tipping had fallen off because she was watching me write.

I'm not really looking for massive line variation, just a little softness to make writing as pleasant as can be. The softness on the 2 vintage that I tried was far too much. When I'm journaling I tend to write quickly, so a nib which is too flexy means it gets flexed too much, and a nib which is too stiff would feel to me like driving on concrete wheels.

I'm not looking for any kind of flex because I have dip pens for that, so from what I've read the F nib on the M200 appears to be most ideal for me and the m1000, although it sounds amazing, is way out of my price range league.

I've read that the m200 commonly has some mould lines around the section which is said to be very off putting, and it doesn't have that classic green/red/blue striped look that I would like. So I will likely save up for the m400 and put an m200 F nib on it. The EF is said to be very stiff.

The m200 nib fits the m600? Oh I didn't know. Then maybe the m600 could be a possibility too but it's stretching it, as it appears to be around £30 more. I thought it was meant to be the next size up so therefore the nib wouldn't fit. It's a shame that Pelikan has chosen to charge such high prices because the m600 shouldn't really be any higher than about £100 considering what you get, so both Pelikan and the buyer loses out.

btw thank you ! You and all others who have taken the time to respond have been most helpful. I'll have a look into the m600 and the babys bottom thing (I'm pretty sure my Carene and possibly the Pilot Elite 95s has this

The m200 nib fits the m600? Oh I didn't know. Then maybe the m600 could be a possibility too but it's stretching it, as it appears to be around £30 more. I thought it was meant to be the next size up so therefore the nib wouldn't fit. It's a shame that Pelikan has chosen to charge such high prices because the m600 shouldn't really be any higher than about £100 considering what you get, so both Pelikan and the buyer loses out.

The M200 or M400 nibs will fit the M600 but the M600 nib will not fit the M400/200 (too long).

Pelikan prices are very competitive for what you get and Pelikan are certainly not losing out.

Peter

The M200 or M400 nibs will fit the M600 but the M600 nib will not fit the M400/200 (too long).

Pelikan prices are very competitive for what you get and Pelikan are certainly not losing out.

Cool! I think that would suit me better. I don't think I would have see the need to use the m600 nib, but I will want to use the m200 nib and possibly use a vintage nib at some point in the future.

Cool! I think that would suit me better. I don't think I would have see the need to use the m600 nib, but I will want to use the m200 nib and possibly use a vintage nib at some point in the future.

I think you will find the M600 a great pen, balanced as it is between the 400 and 800. The range of nibs is vast and, if you get the chance, a vintage nib would be the way to go.

Peter

In flight? Back in the early 70's when I was stationed in Izmir, Turkey we would watch them flying, or rather soaring along the waterfront, riding the wind shear created by the many high rise apartments. They tended to soar in formations of 5-7 birds, and could almost hover in on spot, then suddenly dive when they spotted a fish. We are supposed to be talking about fountain pens in this thread??

Regards

Jeff

I think you will find the M600 a great pen, balanced as it is between the 400 and 800. The range of nibs is vast and, if you get the chance, a vintage nib would be the way to go.

That sounds good to me! Although most of my nibs are seemingly interchangeable except for the inlaid ones, not all manufacturers sell different nib units like Pelikan does (I can't find any for Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, Jinhao, etc). So that's a plus. It means I only have to buy one pen. The Falcon has great balance for me and that has a barrel diameter similar to m200/m400/m600 give or take so I'll probably be content with any of the 3

Edited by Bluey

In flight? Back in the early 70's when I was stationed in Izmir, Turkey we would watch them flying, or rather soaring along the waterfront, riding the wind shear created by the many high rise apartments. They tended to soar in formations of 5-7 birds, and could almost hover in on spot, then suddenly dive when they spotted a fish. We are supposed to be talking about fountain pens in this thread??

Now that sounds like my kinda pen! :lol: As long as they bring me back some Mackerel and Salmon then I'm sold.

Edited by Bluey

I too feel that the quality control problem is blown out of all proportion. The fact is that some mistakes will always happen and some people will be unhappy. Usually we hear their story louder than those who just receive a perfect pen. Of all the pelikans i have had, only one had a small baby bottom issue. The fact is that M20x nibs are very consistent while the hand finished gold nibs will have some variation.

I have written a lot with M200 nibs but i prefer the gold nib of my M800. Big smooth and puts down effortlessly a wet line of the iron gall containing Salix. If cost was not an issue, I would turn all my pens into M800s, apart from my beloved M605 blue which is my pen on the go.

The thing is, writing with a fountain pen is a unique experience and it is felt differently by different users. You need to try a couple of Pelikan pens and see what is for you... I started with the M200, then M400, then M605, then M800..... Havent looked back after ten years...

I too feel that the quality control problem is blown out of all proportion. The fact is that some mistakes will always happen and some people will be unhappy. Usually we hear their story louder than those who just receive a perfect pen. Of all the pelikans i have had, only one had a small baby bottom issue. The fact is that M20x nibs are very consistent while the hand finished gold nibs will have some variation.

I have written a lot with M200 nibs but i prefer the gold nib of my M800. Big smooth and puts down effortlessly a wet line of the iron gall containing Salix. If cost was not an issue, I would turn all my pens into M800s, apart from my beloved M605 blue which is my pen on the go.

The thing is, writing with a fountain pen is a unique experience and it is felt differently by different users. You need to try a couple of Pelikan pens and see what is for you... I started with the M200, then M400, then M605, then M800..... Havent looked back after ten years...

They may well be, but I the general feeling that I get is that people demand a lot better from Pelikan given how much they're paying for them. I can understand it on a pen costing about £3.

Oddly my cheapest pens do better than my more expensive ones in terms of quality control and performance, which may indicate that the cheaper pens have more of a focus on their writing capability and the more expensive ones are more about cheaply made components showing off their brand names. Maybe.

I still prefer writing with my more expensive pens but that's perhaps because paying more gives me an illusion of quality.

People are always going to be more vocal about negative stories than positive. If anything it suggests that Pelikans are popular.

I don't think I want to go the route of buying a flock of Pelikans to be honest. One will be enough given that they have exchangeable nibs and their styling is almost the same throughout their range.

This is of course subjective, but I do not really see this general feeling...

My expensive pens write better than my cheaper ones... If the price difference is fair, this is a personal thing. In my opinion, no fountain pen justifies its price, since i could as well write on my tablet. and free ballpoints are all over the place. So there is no real value for money in any fountain pen. I just love them and buy the ones I can afford. My M800 writes better than my M200, but if it writes 6 times better as the price difference is, I cannot say.All i can say, is that if i was looking at prices, I wouldnt have bought any of them. Pelikans are writing pens and are made to be used, with excellent quality control and in a country where labour costs are very high. This reflects on their price, still Pelikan managing to have reasonably priced entry level models. I have yet to see a Pelikan pen, either cheap or expensive made with cheap components.....

Well, maybe it's all subjective. When you say your more expensive pens such as your m800 "write better", what exactly do you mean?

When I mentioned about cheap components, I meant the same as used in the cheap pens. Or at least I see no evidence of there being any difference anyway.

Edited by Bluey

Getting punch drunk from looking at the computer screen all day, so I haven't read all the posts thoroughly. Consequently, I will probably repeat some of what has been said already; if so, just take this as confirmation, ratification, whatever, of those earlier comments.

My favorite Pelikans are the M8XX series. They are a good size for my X-Lg hands, and I like the heft afforded by the brass construction. Even so, I have an M605, which I like, and some M2XX's, which are also okay, although I could not use them for extended writing times, simply because of the smaller size.

Notwithstanding all the ongoing discussion ever since I've been on FPN, I've never - I'll repeat that, never - had a bad experience with a Pelikan, out of the box. They have each and every one performed beautifully. I had an M800 leak between the barrel and section, and Chartpak repaired it without question (I understand some users have had issues with them recently).

My Pelikan collection is not complete yet, and maybe one day I'll start to look at vintage editions. So far, my experience is all with current editions.