Df Nib Questions

Mannyonpil

Greetings, all.

I just got a DF nib the other day for my 140 and after some tweaking it has become completely wonderful.

I have two questions for those more knowledgeable:

1) Are these nibs mildly italic?

2) Why are there two breather holes?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Bo Bo Olson

• mitto

• Mannyonpil

D stands for "Durchschreib-Feder".

F stands for fine nib tip.

This nibs are extra stiff and meant for doing carbin copies. The double vent hole makes the tines shorter and stiffer.

I also enjoye using one from time to time. Mine is a DEF (extra fine).

C.

PS: if the tip of your nib is italic shaped then is this a sign of intensive us in the past.

Edited by christof

Thank you for the reply, Christof. I like the idea that it has been used intensively. It is still fairly smooth and a pleasure to write with.

I see what you mean about the shorter tines. I had not noticed that before. That makes sense.

I have a D nib on a 400.

The H nib is a hard nib, the D nib is the nail's nail. There is no give in it. Something to poke holes in Tanks with or use to climb cliffs.

Have you a semi-flex nib for your 140? If not you should get one.

Some 6 years ago after reading about how good that nib was, found a 140 at a flea market. Just putting it to my thumbnail told me what the fuss was all about for semi-flex.

It was an OB....from the time of thinner nibs than modern, would be like an OM today. :puddle: It is a writing nib, not a signature nib of today.

The first of my 25-8 semi-flex...got @ 15 maxi-semi-flex also.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The older nibs in general had a lot more character to them. Everything Christof said is spot on. I'll add that Pelikan also made Durchschreib nibs with a regular slit and single breather hole that required twice the thickness of gold for the same level of hardness. Great nibs. Enjoy.

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thank you for all your replies.

I do have a regular EF that came with the pen. I love that one too. I wish the new Pelikans had actual EF nibs like the vintage pens do.

Everybody wishes the nibs of the new Pelikans were as good as the semi&or maxi-semi-flex of the '50-65's. There is though all those fine pens to be had at no more than 200's price.

The 200's nib is still a springy 'true' regular flex nib, as good as the semi-vintage '90-97 nib (and a bit later in the Celebry pens), having a thinner, cleaner line.

It is a modern steel nib, better than the modern gold one. :( (Outside the 1000's 18 K semi-flex...where one Must have a light Hand....due to the 18K not being the same alloy as the vintage 18k....which I will someday have...I hope....just to have it.)

Well for 'butter smooth' only, the semi-nail 400/600 nib is ok :unsure: ....you can get it made CI or Stub and have something.

The only modern Pelikan I have outside of the 200 nibbed 215 and the Amethyst is a 605....and it has the semi-flex B of my 400n Tortoise in it.

You could look in our sales section for the Vintage nibs or spend more and up grade your nib with vintage from Penboard.de.

No one will know the mono-tone vintage nib is not original....those that do, will know you have put a better nib in your modern 400/600.

We have to blame this on the Jack Hammer Handed Ball Point Barbarians who love pretzel nibs. They need the fat blobby tip, in they continue to hold it like a ball point.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Everybody wishes the nibs of the new Pelikans were as good as the semi&or maxi-semi-flex of the '50-65's. There is though all those fine pens to be had at no more than 200's price.

The 200's nib is still a springy 'true' regular flex nib, as good as the semi-vintage '90-97 nib (and a bit later in the Celebry pens), having a thinner, cleaner line.

It is a modern steel nib, better than the modern gold one. :( (Outside the 1000's 18 K semi-flex...where one Must have a light Hand....due to the 18K not being the same alloy as the vintage 18k....which I will someday have...I hope....just to have it.)

Well for 'butter smooth' only, the semi-nail 400/600 nib is ok :unsure: ....you can get it made CI or Stub and have something.

The only modern Pelikan I have outside of the 200 nibbed 215 and the Amethyst is a 605....and it has the semi-flex B of my 400n Tortoise in it.

You could look in our sales section for the Vintage nibs or spend more and up grade your nib with vintage from Penboard.de.

No one will know the mono-tone vintage nib is not original....those that do, will know you have put a better nib in your modern 400/600.

We have to blame this on the Jack Hammer Handed Ball Point Barbarians who love pretzel nibs. They need the fat blobby tip, in they continue to hold it like a ball point.

Like always, broad generalizations are broad and generalizing. *Golfclap*

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

I think it's just spam - bubbling out of his brain...

C.

Hm. Quite possible. I do respect Bo Bo's expertise on flex nibs and vintage Pelikans in general, but that bashing does get old at some point.

--

A mechanical pencil barbarian.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Like always, broad generalizations are broad and generalizing. *Golfclap*

Yep...works just fine....so you explain it better if you can.

Why make cruddy nibs when the company could make good ones if folks didn't bend them?

I've got one on my 400nn. It is near indestructible. It's not a fun nib for me to use. It's so stiff and so dry. I use it on my Hobonichi Techo. It's dry enough to work great with the Tomoe river paper. if I write on anything else I get frustrated.

I have a DF nib on one of my vintage Pelikans. It's no fun to use but it is absolutely perfect for no-nonsense rapid note taking. And also if I ever have to poke a hole in a tank or climb a cliff. ;)

Edited by carlos.q

I've got one on my 400nn. It is near indestructible. It's not a fun nib for me to use. It's so stiff and so dry. I use it on my Hobonichi Techo. It's dry enough to work great with the Tomoe river paper. if I write on anything else I get frustrated.

The wirting qualities of a dry nib can be adjusted. Stiff nibs don't have to be dry in general, although most of them tend to dryness. The slot between the tines works like a valve. If it is very narrow, only few ink flows. If it is wider, more ink flows...

C.

Really? I don't.

C.

Nor me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we don't need that opinion rammed into our heads time and time again (and again and again.....)

:)

Peter

...but we don't need that opinion rammed into our heads time and time again (and again and again.....)

:)

2.33470356... per day to be exact.

(for the last 17 years...)

No bashing. Just facts.

C.

Edited by christof

2.33470356... per day to be exact.

(for the last 17 years...)

No bashing. Just facts.

C.

The sad thing is that I agree with quite a few of his comments but he seems to fail to comprehend that everyone is different and not all like what he likes. Still that is what makes the world go round I suppose!

Peter

The sad thing is that I agree with quite a few of his comments but he seems to fail to comprehend that everyone is different and not all like what he likes. Still that is what makes the world go round I suppose!

Yes, Peter. Every one is different. And as long as we respect everyone's indiuiduality and everyone's independence of personality, we would be doing justice both to self as well to others.

Khan M. Ilyas

Yes, Peter. Every one is different. And as long as we respect everyone's indiuiduality and everyone's independence of personality, we would be doing justice both to self as well to others.

Well said Khan.

Peter