The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Blackstone Barrister Black

blackstone barrister black waterproof permanent pigment black carbon

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:46

Blackstone Barrister Black is a new ink from Australian Vendor Justwrite

It is a nano-carbon pigmented black that, like others of its class, is permanent, solvent-resistant/proof, and very well behaved.

fpn_1462754549__blackstoneblack2.jpg

fpn_1462754535__blackstoneblack1.jpg

When I first got the ink for testing, it was labelled under it's pre-release name of Black 11.40, but having been released it is now called Barrister Black.

On even poorer quality paper (old stock Reflex) there was no bleeding or feathering, so this is a very well behaved ink.

As you can see, it is a deep, solid black, less matt and more glossy than the normal nano-carbon ink like Sailor Kiwaguro. On paper it looks more like Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

I was able to test it by soaking samples in various household solvents, as below.

fpn_1461568491__blackstonetestsolvents.j

So, for those of us in Australia who find that Sailor Kiwaguro or Noodler's Black/HOD are too expensive, or for those who want a carbon black ink that has an almost glossy look, this is a good alternative.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:45

Great review.

#3 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:50

Looks proper black. I adore the name  :wub: 

Thanks again for sharing and raising awareness.

#4 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:30

Great review. I have always loved blacks which are more of a blue-black than a washed-out grey. The ink's new/current name is also cool but what is the connection to a hawk moth? is that the equivalent of a certain type of barrister in your neck of the woods?

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#5 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 6,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2016 - 13:12

The hawkmoth passage is just from a booklet I had on my desk called "Hawk Moths of Port Moresby" by A. P. Mackey. It made a change from the last paragraph of Darwin's Origin of Species that I usually use as a test passage.

Granny Aching

#6 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2016 - 23:06

Kevin from JustWrite pens sent me a sample of this ink a little over a month ago, to try out and feed back - but unless I wasn't paying attention, he didn't tell me it was a nano carbon ink!  It's been sitting in my TWSBI Diamond 580 for a few weeks now, with no ill effects. In fact, I've been favourably impressed with how well it writes - and it's highly resistant to water once dry.  Will be adding a bottle to my next order, now that it's been released...

#7 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 6,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:36

Kevin didn't tell anybody that it was a nano carbon ink because he wanted testers' unbiased opinions. 

I did a basic water rinse test, then on the basis of that added a few other solvents. I initially thought it was a cellulose-reactive ink as it was halfway between Noodler's Black and Heart of Darkness in behaviour (more glossy than NB, not quite as wet as HOD). 

So, really, it is a nano-carbon ink that looks and behaves like a bulletproof ink. 

Granny Aching

#8 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:31

Thanks @dcwaites, that makes sense - all I can say is, I was impressed with the behaviour of the ink.  It compared very favourably to my Noodler's X-Feather (which I usually dilute to ~80% strength to hasten drying times).

#9 dauodwa

dauodwa

I-Write-Writs

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2016 - 16:43

Now if they'd bring out a bulletproof red... anyway I'll be getting this instead of overseas options. Very apt name as I will be using it for my law exams.

Samurai-Ronin-l-300x150.jpg

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

#10 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 6,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2016 - 00:15

Now if they'd bring out a bulletproof red... anyway I'll be getting this instead of overseas options. Very apt name as I will be using it for my law exams.

Platinum have one, although it is called Rose Red, and is a pinky red colour, as well as a Blue (which I have, and is quite nice) and a Sepia to go with their Carbon Black ink.

Granny Aching

#11 dauodwa

dauodwa

I-Write-Writs

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:59

Platinum have one, although it is called Rose Red, and is a pinky red colour, as well as a Blue (which I have, and is quite nice) and a Sepia to go with their Carbon Black ink.

That's what I'm thinking to get instead. The Platinum looks like a good option for red and black too. As you once said in other post, it's not a question of either or but both :P

Samurai-Ronin-l-300x150.jpg

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

#12 Greyknight

Greyknight

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2016 - 21:39

Has anyone compared this with Sailor Nano black? Specifically the smoothness and the flow. I still have 1.5 bottles of Sailor but the urge to justify a new ink is strong...

#13 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2016 - 17:25

Sorry for coming in late.

I do have a couple of bottles of Chinese made carbon inks, but not the legendary Beijing carbon; I often wonder how they compare against the Sailor, and now the Barrister Black...

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#14 Greyknight

Greyknight

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:41

Ok tried it in my TWSBI 580 1.1 stub.
Its smoother than sailor nano black, seems more viscous, but yet wetter if that makes any sense. Well behaved, no feathering or showing through copy paper. Takes longer to dry though.

Haven't tested water fastness, I assume that would be similar to all carbon based inks.

Might try this later in my Namisu Nova Ti nib that hates Sailor nano black (hard starts, have to shake the pen hard after 10-15min of capping)

#15 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2016 - 17:11

OoOOooo I like it.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

Fountain pens are my PREFERRED ADVANCED COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas.

#16 Flaxmoore

Flaxmoore

Phys-ink-cian

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2016 - 20:41

Any US based suppliers? I'm a doc, and welcome extra durable black ink.
Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

#17 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2016 - 23:26

Any US based suppliers? I'm a doc, and welcome extra durable black ink.

I think Anderson Pens (http://www.andersonp...-Ink-s/2530.htm) are your best bet - can't remember whether there are other American distributors, but the Andersons seem to have this in stock right now.

#18 mostlyutalitarian

mostlyutalitarian

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:13

Kevin from JustWrite pens sent me a sample of this ink a little over a month ago, to try out and feed back - but unless I wasn't paying attention, he didn't tell me it was a nano carbon ink!  It's been sitting in my TWSBI Diamond 580 for a few weeks now, with no ill effects. In fact, I've been favourably impressed with how well it writes - and it's highly resistant to water once dry.  Will be adding a bottle to my next order, now that it's been released...

So it didn't stain your TWSBI? I want to get some permanent Black and some Permanent Blue too when I finally get my TWSBI Eco.

#19 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:24

So it didn't stain your TWSBI? I want to get some permanent Black and some Permanent Blue too when I finally get my TWSBI Eco.

Nope, several months on my TWSBI pen is still going strong with this ink, no staining that I can see!

#20 mostlyutalitarian

mostlyutalitarian

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:27

Nope, several months on my TWSBI pen is still going strong with this ink, no staining that I can see!

Excited to give this one a go now! Have you done a fading test by any chance? I plan on using it for laboratory work. I'm wondering how long the ink will last when covered, would be good if it lasted for 5 - 10 years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blackstone barrister black, waterproof, permanent, pigment, black, carbon

Sponsored Content

|