Bookbinders Blue Coral Snake Ink Revisited And Re-Reviewed

visvamitra

A while ago I've reviewed Bookbinders Blue Coral Snake Ink. The sample I've received was unusable - it contained some sediment and because of oily consistency it wouldn't flow at all in any of the pens I've risked to fill with it. My review wasn't - as you may guess and see - favorable. Actually I warned others against using this ink. After I've published the review folks from Bookbinders contacted me and offered to send me a bottle of Blue Coral Snake ink so that I could test it once again in any way imaginable.

I've received the ink two weeks ago and I'm ready to share my thoughts on the experience. It won't be muy typical image-dominated review. I want to describe precisely my experience.

Customer Service

I don't know many companies interested that much in anonymous reviewers opiniomns and thoughts. Of course FPN is big and significant source of information about fountain pens and inks and each maker should take a look at it from time to time. Bookbinders is small business, I do understand that negative reviews can be harmful to their development. Still I appreciate their willingness to communicate and to offeir their product to discriminate customer and his tests. Guys - you rock and your customer service is stellar!

Packaging

The packaging and care for detail are fantastic. The bottle isn't made of premium glass and can't be discribed as work of art. It's small, simple and made of rather cheap glass. However Bookbinder's managed to make it look great by vintage label and fabriccover offered with their inks. Believe me - in person it looks even better than on great photos seen on Bookbinders website.

fpn_1462559634__bookbinders_1.jpg

fpn_1462559651__bookbinders_2.jpg

Test

After I've received the ink I've filled five pens (actually six) with this ink. Here they are - pieces from different price/quality segments.

fpn_1462559690__bookbinders_3.jpg

Left to right: Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio( B), Caran d'Ache Leman (B grinded to stub), Pilot CH 92 (M), Jinhao 599 (F/M), FPR Dilhi (F/M)

On first two days I used every single pen. On third day I started to use only one of them daily and then I've left the pens unused, posted in the drawer. I've tried them on variety od papers. I'll start with positives.

The ink doesn't feather. It doesn't cause bleedthrough. It has reasonable drying time. All of that when it happens to write. Sadly oftentimes it doesn't.

Blue Coral Snake ink dries out very fast and caused hard start in every single pen I've uesd. After two days of not using the pen only Pilot CH 92 started immediately. Three pens didn't write at all - I had to soak them in water. FPR Dilhi started after two minutes of scratching the paper but the flow wasn't good. This ink cuases strong clogging - probably because of it being prone to cause precipitation.

Some sediment is seen on the bottle:

fpn_1462559724__bookbinders_sediment.jpg

And on the feeds (here GvFC Tamitio)

fpn_1462561383__bookbinders_sediment2a.j

Conclusion

Sadly I didn't change my mind. I can't recommend this ink to anyone. The color has potential, some properties are nice but good flow is my priority. I believe that inks that clog pens are a waste of time and money. I don't want to clean pen every day or to soak the nib in water before I'll be able to enjoy the color. I want the ink to flow well immediatelly. Sure - after a month in unused pens I would expect dome hard starts. But not after a day or two. I'm sorry guys - I wanted this review to be positive because of your generosity and great communication. But it won't. In my opinion Blue Coral Snake has potential but it needs to be reformulated so that it doesn't precipitate too soon or leave sediment.

And now writing samples:

Lyreco Budget 60g - Pilot CH92, M

fpn_1462561793__bcs_ch92.jpg

fpn_1462559531__bookbinders_ch92_2.jpg

Moleskine - Pilot CH92, M and Jinhao 599, Kaweco Sport broad nib below

fpn_1462559554__bookbinders_ch92_3.jpg

fpn_1462561907__bookbinders_moleskine.jp

Oxford notebook

Graf von Faber-CVastell Tamitio, B

fpn_1462561999__bluecoralsnake_ox_p_1.jp

fpn_1462562073__bluecoralsnake_ox_p_2.jp

fpn_1462562097__bluecoralsnake_ox_p_3.jp

Tomoe River

fpn_1462562204__tttt.jpg

Rhodia - FPR Dilhi

fpn_1462562254__bluecoralsnake_p_rhodia_

fpn_1462562264__bluecoralsnake_p_rhodia_

Rhodia - Jinhao 599

fpn_1462562328__bluecoralsnake_p_rhodia_

fpn_1462562355__bluecoralsnake_p_rhodia_

Rhodia - GvFC Tamitio, B

fpn_1462562395__bluecoralsnake_p_rhodia_

fpn_1462562430__bluecoralsnake_p_rhodia_

Ink splash (some sediment visible)

fpn_1462562469__bluecoralsnake_is_2.jpg

Ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1462562528__bluecoralsnake_rk_2.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• visvamitra

• T4TEXAS

• lapis

Thanks for another fine review, errr re-review. The label, color and shading are all likeable. Hope they get the sticky sediment figured out.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Ah, that's good to know.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I'm sure being honest is all anyone asks of a reviewer, and of that we trust you implicitly :notworthy1:

The Blue was the only one that feathered in Tomoe River. I never seen an ink to feather in Tomoe.

I flushed it out of my pen, this is another ink delegated to my artist in residence to use.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I like inks with a short time of drying, but this one has definitely too short time ;).

It's a pity because the colour of this ink seems to be nice. Let's hope the producer will improve his formula soon.

Thanks for your review Łukasz :)

Well, I inked it up Parker Facet by filling a cartridge. 3 hours later, nib down, the ink still won't flow. I can confirm, the pen was perfectly clean and the last fill, Berning Red, flowed quite nicely. I'll keep you informed.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the hard but fair "remake" here. And all of the experience others (like Amber) have just made. I hope that somebody from Bookbinders is keeping an eye on these notes....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Well, it's too bad about the Blue Coral Snake. Fortunately, we still have some other very attractive Australian Blues, such as Blackstone Sydney Harbour and Barrier Reef Blues, and the newcomer Robert Oster, with his School and Bondi Blues.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Day 2 it's too finicky for use. This one won't last a full fill in my pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

Such a shame, as I glanced at their colors, the blue stood out to me the most. Thank you for such a thorough and honest review!

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

What a shame, I really love the color and shading. Hopefully the manufacturer is aware and will improve the behavior of the ink to make it usable.