What Can I Get Instead Of Mb Daniel Defoe?

Wrathen

So I got a sample of Montblanc Daniel Defoe ink and really love it... but being a special edition its not readily available for me to purchase. I was wondering what other inks are close to this that I can look into trying instead.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old_Inkyhand

• NicolausPiscator

• lgsoltek

• Fabienne

I don't have Diamine Safari but I think it's a similar colour that's quite easy to get.

There's also R&K Alt-goldgrun and Standardgraph Schilfgrun, both have more yellow than Defoe.

Something more similar to Defoe would be Sailor Kingdom Note Tanna japonensis, but that's an unobtanium now.

That's one of my favorites, too. I'm on my 2nd and last bottle.

Palm Green seems to be between R&K Alt-Goldgren and Sailor Epinard. If I run out, I'll try mixing mostly Alt-Goldgrun and a tiny bit of Epinard. If Epinard is unavailable, Evergreen by Diamine is very similar. IMHO

Aside from Sailor Epinard, the rest of the recommended inks (including my own) have too much yellow in it. The aforementioned Sailor ink is a bit too stoney in hue, however, mentioned for a mix. Still, the noted inks are within the realm of Daniel Defoe Palm Green and many of them, I feel, are more intresting.

My recommendation rests with Papier Plume's Moss Green. Fantastic color, though a bit on the wet side.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Diamine Safari or R&K Alt. Goldgrun are similar to Mb Daniel Defoe. :)

I don't have Daniel Defoe but I have Jonathan Swift. I'm not sure how similar they are. B)

We haven't heard much recently about the Trekker ink company that makes custom colors. Maybe you could send them a small sample of the Daniel DeFoe and have them duplicate it.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Diamine Safari was the closest to MB Daniel Defoe that I tried in terms of color. R&K Alt Goldgrun is very nice but it is quite lighter in color.

Stipula Calma Moss Green might fill the bill though that one is a bit grey I think vs. Defoe (which I love, too). Do try Diamine Safari, too, it might scratch that itch, and R&K Alt Goldgruen (sp) is really a great ink and so overlooked.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have heard good things about a 1:1 mix of standard KWZ inks: Green Gold and Green Gold #2. I have samples, so I can try to do that mix.

Check out this thread as well.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

I have heard good things about a 1:1 mix of standard KWZ inks: Green Gold and Green Gold #2. I have samples, so I can try to do that mix.

Check out this thread as well.

Thank you for this interesting link! It sounds good and looks great what our FPN-fellows can archive! But I am always cautious...

That's what I mixed. Unfortunately I don't have the original Defoe.

Sorry for the awful lettering! I used nothing but a nib to write it - no pen and no holder, so it was a bit difficult to control.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

That's what I mixed. Unfortunately I don't have the original Defoe.

Sorry for the awful lettering! I used nothing but a nib to write it - no pen and no holder, so it was a bit difficult to control.

Thank you for your efforts! This is very nice of you! The mixture is interesting! I should try it myself!

You're welcome! Many people, including myself, would love to find a doppelganger of this ink, so if my efforts get us any closer to our objective, I am more than happy. Mixing would be easier if I had more ink - I had 2 ml of each version, so sucking up the specific, tiny amounts of them into my syringe was not an easy task.

So thank you once more for your efforts! ... I have the strong impression that this ink belongs to these inks which have no Doppelgänger! ... Defoe is so beautiful and so extremely complicated.

I'll try to get a written sample of Defoe. I wonder if any of the smaller ink makers (for example KWZ, Robert Oster or De Atramentis) would be capable of producing something similiar enough to make us happy.

KWZI Green Gold #1?

I don't know how about yours, but my sample is too brown. Please check out the link I posted (this one with my samples of mixes). KWZI Green Gold #1 is second from the top.