How To Make A Great Waterman Purchase

yinxzon

What do you guys think if you want to make one waterman purchase? It'd be possible if you guys can give one pen and the cost and where to buy...

Which waterman do you think is the best? ive only seen videos- of 52, 55 and the ink-vue.. it looked like ink-vue was far and away the best but im not sure the reviewer is biased.

Not sure how to make a purchase- prices to start, on ebay prices vary a alot, etc. most of what you show here look pretty good and you did say in one review that 12 was 'unbelievable'.

Thanks you!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• sidthecat

• yinxzon

• Left FPN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had conversations with eBay sellers who claim that the high prices are not their fault but that of the buyers. They're more than happy to encourage those buyers though and so their claims ring hollow to me. I've asked for a fixed price and they flatly refuse. Funny that.

In addition to EofC's post there is much luck involved. You could still pay a lot and get a poor nib or little and get a lovely nib.

To be 100% certain you must test a nib yourself before buying otherwise just pray for the best.

Ebay is up and down with prices. Many of the mordern pens being well overpriced IMHO

Heh, I'd forgotten about luck. Mainly because I've never had any at all.

The thing about Waterman's, especially the 52 models, is that the nibs are not all flexible. However, sellers know that flexibility is such a subjective quality that they can call everything flexible. If anyone complains they can fall back on "your idea of flexibility is different than mine". Cynical perhaps but it happens.

By the way, I saw one the other day with a completely nadgered nib. Know what description said? Nib needs adjusting!

Heh, I'd forgotten about luck. Mainly because I've never had any at all.

The thing about Waterman's, especially the 52 models, is that the nibs are not all flexible. However, sellers know that flexibility is such a subjective quality that they can call everything flexible. If anyone complains they can fall back on "your idea of flexibility is different than mine". Cynical perhaps but it happens.

By the way, I saw one the other day with a completely nadgered nib. Know what description said? Nib needs adjusting!

I have heard someone call a Carene nib flexible :yikes:

Off topic:

I've had conversations with eBay sellers who claim that the high prices are not their fault but that of the buyers. They're more than happy to encourage those buyers though and so their claims ring hollow to me. I've asked for a fixed price and they flatly refuse. Funny that.

Even funnier thing: people want to buy cheap bargains, but sell on high. Gee, wonder why.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Off topic:

Even funnier thing: people want to buy cheap bargains, but sell on high. Gee, wonder why.

looks like everyone is peeved off at the subject or getting vintage pens in general.. maybe not something i should get into without some expert help..

Off topic:

Not me. I've only ever wanted to buy a single decent example at a fair price for personal use and not re-sale.

Obviously from a business sense everyone wants to buy low and sell high. However, the sellers I've conversed with have almost always insisted that they are NOT a business. Yeah, right!

looks like everyone is peeved off at the subject or getting vintage pens in general.. maybe not something i should get into without some expert help..

I was going to counter-argue that, but I'll withdraw it...

Not me. I've only ever wanted to buy a single decent example at a fair price for personal use and not re-sale.

Obviously from a business sense everyone wants to buy low and sell high. However, the sellers I've conversed with have almost always insisted that they are NOT a business. Yeah, right!

Good on you, but that doesn't change point of my first post on this thread in the slightest: Buyer is partially responsible for pricing of objects / services. It is decision of the buyer, not the seller to deem whether the price is too high, or right.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Yes, but sellers on eBay are more than happy to help fuel these kinds of price wars. Some of these sellers are members here and/or FPGeeks. Why not list for a fair price on an enthusiasts site? Because when they claim they are not in it for the money it is just so much hot air.

In my opinion anyone interested in buying one of these pens has three sensible avenues.

1. Wait for something to pop up here in the classifieds.

2. Go to a pen show.

3. Cultivate a relationship with someone known in the trade.

If you are in the US then points 2 and 3 are probably the best options, and you can count yourself lucky. I do not have either of those options available. I have asked again and again in an attempt to get a working example of a 52 with at least a semiflex nib. The only response I get is tumbleweeds and blowing winds, or people trying to scalp me.

I suspect it may just be that nobody wants to deal with me, rather than a geographic problem per se.

YMMV

I have asked again and again in an attempt to get a working example of a 52 with at least a semiflex nib. The only response I get is tumbleweeds and blowing winds, or people trying to scalp me.

By "scalp," I take it that you mean that you've determined that the asking prices on pens you've been offered are much too high.

What are you comparing those prices to in order to determine that they are much too high?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I'm comparing them to similar items sold in classifieds. I'm not talking about the so-called wet noodles on museum quality pens in rare materials. I'm not wedded to the internet, and being on the far side of the world (time-wise) means I am often too late to the party.

I like to ask sellers to thumbnail-test their nibs. I've often gotten good information that wasn't in the listing. A lot of estate sellers aren't pen-folk so they don't know what they have - those are the ones we take cruel advantage of.

lol, so it sounds like for someone who doesnt even know what all the numbers, 52, ideal 7, the colored ring really mean, it really wouldnt be prudent to make a purchase if you dont have a friend you can talk to or do it at a pen show?

You only need to know a little bit more than the seller.

And be careful with your sniper: I paid twice as much for a pen as I wanted to because I misplaced a zero on my bid ceiling.

I never use a sniper, preferring to do it manually.

I have found patience to be my best ally.

I have snagged many bargains, therefore can't really have a go at sellers who try to get as much as they can.

Ian

I will look for something that isn't generating many bids, and will sometimes get something nice. Ringtops are a little out of fashion, so that's useful.

You need to do more research so that you can ask a narrower question. Waterman made pens ranging from a BHR 12, to the limited sterling Edson.

Vintage runs from HR to celluloid, eye drop fill (1x), leverfill (5x), cartridge (C/F), with the full range of nib styles, including music and the color-coded nibs. There are also a variety of nib sizes, including the 2 and the 5 in your post.

Do some research into the eras, into the materials, fillers, sizes (there is a difference in size of body as well as nib between the 52 and 55).

I started accumulating Waterman pens, and used them for the longest time. From the 12 to the Ink-Vue to the 100 Year to the LeMan 100 there is something to love about them all.

I didn't mean to overwhelm you. With more information about your preferences/likes a specific suggestion may be possible.

gary

PS-Peyton Street Pens has a selection from different eras. VintagePens has collector quality pens to learn from too.

Edited by gary

Peyton Street Pens has particularly well-priced stock.

That ask-a-question-of-the-dealer works when it works: a pen that the dealer said was flexible turned out to be an absolute nail. So the dealer has to know what he or she's dealing with. Luckily not an expensive experience.