• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Barry Gabay

• Uncial

• Cassotto

Barry, that was absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much for posting the link. I needed a little pickup, and this just made my evening.

Edited by HBlaine

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

This made my day!!!

Thank you!!!

I spent the last 14 hours rushing madly from activity to the next. Listening to Oliver Sacks speak to us about his desk, the objects on it, his 149 and the environment outside his apartment invited me think about not being such a speed freak any more. I really want to learn to slow down.

Edited by meiers

Great video.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Just for the record (OCD, sorry), it's Sachs. :)

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

FPN Supporter - Rhodium

PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
2,246 posts
Flag:

Posted Today, 12:20

Thanks for the correction, except that it's incorrect. On the covers of two of his books on my bookshelf, it's spelled with a K.

What a wonderful person Dr. Sacks was. It feels as if he's just talking right to us, one on one.

Who can date the 149 he used? From the nib and section, I think 70s. Look closely at the tapered tines. I have seen that design only on three-tone 18C nibs. However, there are plenty of 149s from that generation I've not seen. Someone's eyes must be better than mine.

He declares that it has been his favourite for forty years.

Assuming he purchased it new, I'd say you're right.

Thanks for the correction, except that it's incorrect. On the covers of two of his books on my bookshelf, it's spelled with a K.

My apologies, I should have double-checked my recollection before typing. And I concur, a fascinating, fine, kind individual.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Thank you, Barry, for posting this. It is always an extraordinary experience seeing how extraordinary men could thing and act so simply. It is no doubts the result of an extreme human highness. He bought an important pen forthy years ago, he took care of her for all this time, and he still love her. Really remarkable.

Good morning, Science Chick, Thank you very much. No apology necessary! We are all human & subject to too much enthusiasm. Enjoy your weekend & your fountain pens! Best wishes, Barry

Thanks for posting this, Barry. I wrote to Dr Sacks a few times, and he replied 3 times. All his replies were written with a fountain pen. It is probably the fountain pen shown in the video. It is nice to know that he too used a MB 149!!!!:):)

It is a shame that he is no longer with us.

I loved the video, and now plan to get to the library to see which books by Dr. Sacks they might have on hand.

Many academics have desks and offices filled with the most fascinating things... the other videos in the series are also interesting to watch.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

FPN Supporter - Rhodium

PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

2,246 posts

Flag:

Posted Today, 12:20

What a wonderful person Dr. Sacks was. It feels as if he's just talking right to us, one on one.

Who can date the 149 he used? From the nib and section, I think 70s. Look closely at the tapered tines. I have seen that design only on three-tone 18C nibs. However, there are plenty of 149s from that generation I've not seen. Someone's eyes must be better than mine.

i could manage a screen shot, the nib says 750 and the barrrel appears to be single piece. I think your estimate is correct.

fpn_1463039736__sacks1.png

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 3 years later...

Very old thread, but I have to say how glad I am to have found it. I hadn't heard about Dr. Sacks until less than one year ago, and now I'm a real devotee of his. I love his idea of getting the chemical elements as their atomic number matches your growing age, but I'm sure I'd end up getting poisoned or something, so on learning that Sacks used fountain pens (which look less dangerous), I googled so as to try to find out which one/s he liked best, hoping against all hope that he might have been fond of an affordable model that I could buy.

But even an autographed book will probably be cheaper than a 149! :lol: :lol: :huh: :angry: :angry:

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

I've never come across this thread before and am thankful that you brought it back up! What and intersting fellow, I loved the stories behind his desk clutter!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!