The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A Tale Of Two Music Nibs (Handwritten)

music sailor pilot

6 replies to this topic

#1 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 20:13

Chase the nib, not the pen, they say, and I largely agree. One shouldn't forget the paper, though: paper can be less tolerant than we think. Still. on that front I've given up for the moment. Good copy paper is widely available, so I'm content with it. It's not perfect but it works for most of my pens and inks (not all, that's why I'm writing this on Oxford 90g/m2optik paper; the exact reasons will be explained later). I'd almost forgotten the ink, another frequently neglected part of the joy of writing. Let's nog go into the matching of ink to pen, just note that it can be tricky both functionally and aesthetically, and return to the nib. 

The rest of the story can be read on thescanned pages. Let me just add that the pages were written a few days ago. The Pilot MS nib has seen more use since and as expected has grown on me. Still with the same ink and without any tuning, it behaves better and better, probably because I'm getting used to it. It's still second best to the Sailor music nib but I expect it will nevertheless see enough use in my hands. I'm looking forward to using it with a drier ink once I've exhausted this fill (big converter). 

music_nibs_1.jpeg

music_nibs_2.jpeg

music_nibs_3.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 19:17

Fascinating! Thanks for the comparison and observations.

ron

#3 Edwin Yontef

Edwin Yontef

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 19:33

Fantastic review!  I also have the 1911 music, love it, and 912 cosu nib which I never use for the same reason you cite above.   May I ask what modification(s) were made to it?

#4 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 4,358 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:58

Nice work! Try a Platinum music nib if you get the chance.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#5 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 14:08

Nice comparison, thanks.

I have a 912 with a music nib. The pen is nice but, frankly, despite liking broad edged/stubby nibs I don't like this nib. I also found that it just wasn't smooth enough. I checked the nib and can't see anything misaligned.

#6 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,391 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:56

Fantastic review!  I also have the 1911 music, love it, and 912 cosu nib which I never use for the same reason you cite above.   May I ask what modification(s) were made to it?

Thanks. I just send the Cosu to Oxonian and asked him to stub it a bit - give it some character and left the rest to his discretion. 

#7 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,391 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:59

Nice comparison, thanks.

I have a 912 with a music nib. The pen is nice but, frankly, despite liking broad edged/stubby nibs I don't like this nib. I also found that it just wasn't smooth enough. I checked the nib and can't see anything misaligned.

I've checked the nib extensively. My conclusion is that it's part of the design (feature rather than bug). Unfortunately, I have no experience with other three-tined nib to be able to make a comparison. 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, sailor, pilot

Sponsored Content

|