Mandarin Man Pen Stand - Further Info Please?

Dave at penworkshop

Hi - as most pen people know, Parker issued the splendid Duofold Mandarin Yellow Fountain Pen in 1995 in a limited edition of 10,000.

It appears that also available at the same time was a beautiful porcelain Mandarin Man pen stand in perfectly matching yellow and black with matching triple gold band trim.

The Mandarin Man stand was a limited edition of just 100 pieces and the base of the

stand was stamped with the number and G Carda with the date 12-1995.

Some time ago I was lucky enough to acquire a Mandarin Man (Number 25/100) but despite a lot of research and consulting with other dealers have been unable to find any information about the man. A former Parker employee felt that they had been made for Parker and possibly sent out to their top dealers for display purposes. If that was the case perhaps many were damaged or broken.

I am intrigued as to whether there are any more of the limited edition 100 Mandarin Men in existence and whether anyone can help with information please.

Pictures of the handsome chap are attached.

post-43307-0-50381400-1462462828.jpg

post-43307-0-15084600-1462462869.jpg

post-43307-0-31431400-1462462882.jpg

post-43307-0-35811500-1462462911.jpg

post-43307-0-29391300-1462462931.jpg

Edited by penworkshop

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave at penworkshop

• da vinci

• farmdogfan

• OCArt

Wow, that is stunning. I hope you find more information on this fabulous piece.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Yes, it certainly looks good, i would´nt mind having one (and the pen that goes with it).

• 1 month later...

Am very pleased to say that I have been able to find more information regarding Mandarin Man.

The Mandarin figure was designed and commissioned by Jean-François Ridel, the owner of the Point Plume pen shop in Paris in 1995. It was produced by Gilles Carda, a well known French ceramist.

The Mandarin pen holder was made specially for the limited edition Parker Mandarin Yellow Duofold. It was available for purchase, with or without the pen, exclusively from Point Plume. As we know, the pen holder was a limited edition of 100.

This information was supplied by Alexandra at Point Plume who was unable to supply any details of the original price of the figure but I think it was quite expensive. I did somewhat hopefully enquire whether they might have one or two of these Mandarin Men gathering dust in a storeroom somewhere but wasn't surprised to learn that they had been sold out many years ago.

I think many members will be familiar with Point Plume which is a pen shop at 21 Rue Quentin Bauchart in Paris, just off the Champs Elysées. The present owners of the shop are Laure and Cyril Ridel, the children of Jean François. I understand that Laure is also a pen designer for brands such as Visconti and Montegrappa.

The Point Plume website is at http://www.pointplume.com/

Would be nice to hear from any members who have visited the shop recently.

For such a rare and attractive item, $450 seems reasonable. Parker made some interesting pen stands for desk pens, and there was at least one thread here about an interesting Vacumatic desk pen stand with elephants, I believe. This stand would seem to continue a tradition of interesting pen stands.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 years later...

Just a very brief up-date on the Mandarin Man Pen Stand.

A lovely example, no 80/100 was sold at Dreweatts pen auction in Newbury a few days ago on 12 Feb 2019. Hammer price was £480 around £620 with fees.

So number 80 has found a new home with a very lucky new owner.

If you know where there are any more please post!

Regards Paul.

• 5 months later...

Another brief up-date on Mandarin Man pen stands.

Number 80/100 (referred to above) is currently for sale on Ebay at $2,000 or best offer.

Wow - hope they get it! Item number 383037054275.

Still hardly any of these super pen stands have surfaced - only 3 at the moment. There must be some more around somewhere. Do let me know if you have any info.

Regards Paul.