New Pens For My Burgeoning Collection...

Papamud

So, as soon as I become interested in Fountain Pens, (On the same day, I watched a scene from Gatsby where the doctor writes "Gatsby" with a gorgeous fp, a student forgot his Pelikan. I tried it after class and was smitten!) I started a conversation on Facebook to see if I had any friends who already used fountain pens.

Turns out, LOTS of my friends use them.

In that conversation, a good friend living in Thailand, told me he was sending me his Harley-Davidson pen, and what he calls a "beginner" Montblanc... This is all I know about the pens. Any help identifying the Montblanc would be helpful. I've found a lot of info as to how to clean them and get them ready for writing, but the MB seems...difficult to tell how to load it up. Pics below. These are right out of the package, nothing done yet.

Will post pics as soon as they're done!post-129393-0-53488100-1462238759_thumb.jpgpost-129393-0-47143500-1462238779_thumb.jpgpost-129393-0-93119900-1462238794_thumb.jpgpost-129393-0-39331800-1462238824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Papamud

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papamud

• jar

• inkandseeds

• Pensei

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The MB looks like a 121 but the piston shaft seems to be missing.

I just took this photo... Is that the piston shaft stuck in the "barrel" of the pen?

D. Morreale

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

OK! So I found out that there's another part to the pen that I did not notice before. Here's a new pic with barrel disassembled. What the heck? Help! What IS this pen? I'm researching now, but would really love some help as to what this is and how to clean it and make it write!

Thanks.

PM

Edited by Papamud

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

So... I guess most sane folks have long since been in bed, but if anyone is reading this, let me fill you in on my voyage of discovery this evening with my HD Stypen and my Montblanc 121.

The HD flushed nicely, using the rubber bulb that they sent home with my second son 2 months ago. I guess I'm hoping I don't have to suction the little guys nose out anytime soon. Anyway, the HD is good to go, and I'll be slapping a cartridge in it tomorrow when I get to school.

The MB 121 was (and remains) interesting.

I finally figured out how to take the thing apart, and cleaned up the individual parts. It's still letting loose with a touch of ink, but is about 98% clean. Good enough. As you can see, if compared to the earlier pics, the things is looking much cleaner!

But here's my question. How do I adjust the piston screw so that it allows max movement of the piston, allowing me to fill the pen as fully with ink as possible? I currently have it drying, but when I assembled it earlier, it was very hard to tell if I'd put it together correctly, because I could only manage five-six turns of the end piece. Not 5-6 full revolutions, but 5-6 thumb turns...

Thoughts?

Edited by Papamud

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

So, I got the MB 121 working, though it's certainly putting out a lot of ink... Thoughts?

...and the HD pen was allowing water to pass through nice and clean last nice, so I inserted the cartridge this morning and... nothing. The cartridge was TIGHT getting in, but was pierced and is now seated, very tightly and firmly, into the pen, as you can see. Did I put it in upside down? There was a clear, cap-like end and then the end you see here in this picture... again, thoughts?

I don't know how long these pens had been sitting, but it's safe to say several years at least...

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

not sure this thing is on! ...hullo? Bueller?

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

I've been told by folks on the board that it's a Stypen.

Have I offended somehow?

D.

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Nope, just wondering if the right cartridge was used. I fear I don't know what cartridge is correct for a Stypen.

Try this; soak the nib and section in water, take out and then insert the cartridge. Wrap the nib in a paper towel to wick the water out of the feed drawing in ink. When you get ink in the paper towel give it a try.

My Website

Thanks, I left the nib in my classroom, soaking in water, overnight. I'll do this first thing in the morning. I've also found out that the MB might be putting out too much ink if the nob and the plastic portion under the nib are too far apart... Going to inspect that in the morning.

The "Star" at the top of the MB also fell out last night. Can I glue that in place, or is it meant to ride loose in that hole?

D.

Just wondering if I'd offended folks... no-one is chiming in and I guess I'd figured folks would be interested in these two pens and the travails of a complete rookie trying to bring them back to life!

Thanks for the help.

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Thanks, I left the nib in my classroom, soaking in water, overnight. I'll do this first thing in the morning. I've also found out that the MB might be putting out too much ink if the nob and the plastic portion under the nib are too far apart... Going to inspect that in the morning.

The "Star" at the top of the MB also fell out last night. Can I glue that in place, or is it meant to ride loose in that hole?

D.

Just wondering if I'd offended folks... no-one is chiming in and I guess I'd figured folks would be interested in these two pens and the travails of a complete rookie trying to bring them back to life!

Thanks for the help.

I don't know that anyone has found a good way to glue the snowcap back in and yes, they do fall out. I'd give a light varnish a try and see if it works.

No one offended but also a bunch of companies had made HD licensed pens and so likely no one had any info for you.

My Website

I doubt you offended anyone. It could be that many of us can't answer your questions. I have never owned a Mont Blanc (not sure i'd be allowed in the same room with a Mont Blanc) nor a Harley-Davidson pen, so i have nothing to add. Just came to see your collection and maybe learn a little. Succeeded in both.

Congratulations on the pens.

I'm impressed that you managed to take that MB apart and put it back in working order. Your photo brought back memories, because I used a variation of that pen every day for very extensive note taking in graduate school. I've never loved a pen so much before or after, and when I finished school and moved, when I unpacked, it had disappeared. I'm currently searching for a replacement (it was lost long before eBay existed!), but have not found the exact duplicate yet.

Thanks! I have updates on both pens now...

The MB has begun leaking like a sieve! I'll be searching the forums for possible causes and fixes...

I've heard from my friend who sent me these pens that the HD is actually one of the Waterman HD pens and therefore takes a Waterman cartridge. I'll be ordering them asap.

Until then, I still have my Kakuno, which works beautifully!

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

I doubt you offended anyone. It could be that many of us can't answer your questions. I have never owned a Mont Blanc (not sure i'd be allowed in the same room with a Mont Blanc) nor a Harley-Davidson pen, so i have nothing to add. Just came to see your collection and maybe learn a little. Succeeded in both.

Congratulations on the pens.

Thanks! I was worried... I'm a rookie FP user, and new to the board.

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Thanks! I have updates on both pens now...

The MB has begun leaking like a sieve! I'll be searching the forums for possible causes and fixes...

I've heard from my friend who sent me these pens that the HD is actually one of the Waterman HD pens and therefore takes a Waterman cartridge. I'll be ordering them asap.

Until then, I still have my Kakuno, which works beautifully!

That makes sense but where is the leak in the Montblanc?

My Website

Nope, just wondering if the right cartridge was used. I fear I don't know what cartridge is correct for a Stypen.

Try this; soak the nib and section in water, take out and then insert the cartridge. Wrap the nib in a paper towel to wick the water out of the feed drawing in ink. When you get ink in the paper towel give it a try.

A standard international for the Stypen. I have a few, and many more have passed through my hands.

Ps: Oops, Waterman, I see. Their carts can vary slightly from the Standard, though to the naked eye they look the same.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

That makes sense but where is the leak in the Montblanc?

Hard to tell... I noticed I had ink on my hand, opened it up, and there's ink all loose in there. It looks as though it's coming from the bottom of the piston... as though the plunger seal is not very tight...

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Hard to tell... I noticed I had ink on my hand, opened it up, and there's ink all loose in there. It looks as though it's coming from the bottom of the piston... as though the plunger seal is not very tight...

Okay, worn piston seal. Not uncommon but also not really user repair candidate.

My Website