Group Buy - Ranga Model 8 ( Regular Ebonite & Premium Ebonite

mehandiratta

I received the same colour as bbs and I would also say it should be called teal/brown.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• mehandiratta

• RobertJWarren

• drmukherjee

Did the ebonite supplier change after the photos of the colours were taken? Because seriously, none of the pens seems to bear any relation to the colours we were choosing from (except black), even on the premium ebonite. I'd have gone for the blue/orange/green if it looked anything like the finished article. The rest look far worse than depicted, or at least substantially different.

It's a shame, otherwise this was a good venture.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I have a lot of Ranga pens (15 at the last count, 2 more incoming) and before I buy anything I do a little bit of searching for ebonite colours on the web. Sure PSP has some great images but I prefer to look for actual user pics. The previous Group Buy threads are an excellent first stop when deciding on an ebonite rod. Also, if you are not going for a regular ripple effect ebonite, you must bare in mind that the premium swirled ebonite rods will never be identical pen to pen. I have a blue/green/orange ebonite 4C and 3, they look nothing alike nor do they look like the example posted by RJW. For me though, that's the beauty of ebonite. Its not a material for those who want an exact level of preciseness when buying a pen IME.

Thanks, that's good advice for next time! I realise there will always be differences in this material, but these colour disparities seem a bit extreme! No matter, it's a nice pen.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I am among those buyers who feel my pen was misrepresented. I'm very disappointed in the Renga company and in my pen.

The description of the pen I ordered read that it was a yellow/pink pen. The picture of the pen I ordered was a yellow/pink pen. I expected a yellow/pink pen.

When it arrived a couple of days ago, the pen was a disappointing olive green/burgundy combination. It looked nothing like the pen that I'd ordered.

I'd ordered a pen with summery, playful colors. Instead, I got a wintry, formal (and decidedly serious) pen.

The yellow and pink pen pictured isn't even in the same family of colors as the pen that arrived.

The pen that arrived is nicely made, and I may ink it at some point. But it isn't the pen I'd wanted (and waited months to receive).

I'm sorry to see here, in this forum, that I am not the only buyer who was disappointed to receive a product that I had not ordered and had not wanted. I will not be participating in another group buy.

Dear All,

Let me clear the Air.

1. For the Regular Ebonite and Special Ripple Ebonite colours

- We don't have any intention of Misleading the buyer's . I just put the colour name what has been in common practice here.

Definitely , If you feel the colour name needs to be changed, we will consider and change it as appropriate

- Regarding Pictures, I just posted the picture without any modifications. So i hope there should not be significant change.

If the material differs from the pen in the picture , I used to inform buyers in upfront (for ex Blue/Olive ripple).

The Ripple pattern will vary from pen to pen. but the colours should not vary by much.

- Premium Ebonite mottled Colours- It would vary drastically from pen to pen by much. I use to mention it in my ebay website. I will add here also. We won't know which pattern we will be getting till we finish the pen.

- Regarding Colour availability- We do make small mistakes rarely . we realize the unavailability little late . But we do the best what we can do it to our customer's at that stage. I make sure customer is not loosing any money . Nothing is intentional. We always take steps to eliminate or reduce these mistakes.

Kindly PM me for any issues. I will definitely address it.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen company

Some of what was written in the above (and now edited post) was outrageous and completely uncalled for.

This pen arrived promptly yesterday, and I want to tell the members of this group buy that it absolutely rocks. This is a stellar pen. This is my detailed review, but in the meantime, here's a preview.

fpn_1467493603__cannon-900.jpg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Though I this is only my second pen from Ranga. I ordered the standard ripple ebonite in the blue black ripple. Though I agree that it is more of a dark teal color and should be called dark teal black ripple, I went in suspecting this.

The premium blue white swirl that I got the zeal in was beautiful (though the large areas of white had more of an ivory color to them, but I loved it regardless, and enough of the swirls were white that I don't feel it's description is inaccurate).

I should say that I also got an ASA Nauka in their blue brown ripple ebonite and it was more of a teal and muddy reddish brown (and the ripple pattern wasn't very pronounced at all).

And so I have taken the descriptions with a good cup of salt, but I still want to try all of the different ebonites as I view them all as being uniquely beautiful (though I have different pens in mind for some of them), and so will continue to try new ones if a pen and ebonite color pairing pops into mind.

That being said, I have not had any complaints about the finish or construction of their pens. Sure there may be minuscule blemishes/marks on the pen in rare instances, or even the very rare occurrence of a different color in the ebonite (I find those spots quite amusing), but I don't mind little things such as those. I find these pens to be of great quality of construction, especially for a handmade pen in the manner in which they are constructed.

And I have to add, the polish on my model 8 is superb! It's as smooth as glass, very impressive and well done! 😄👍

Edited by Lelouch

I recently received my Ranga #8 in blue rippled ebonite which I purchased as a part of the recent group buy. I was tempted to take a few side by side photos with the acrylic ASA Santulan. Sharing them for your viewing pleasure.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Misc%20FPN%20Stuff/IMGP2183_zpsugglmh5e.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Misc%20FPN%20Stuff/IMGP2182_zpssoqlmp6o.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Misc%20FPN%20Stuff/IMGP2184_zps2rxfibxm.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Misc%20FPN%20Stuff/IMGP2187_zps6slxrwhf.jpg

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Nice pictures thank you for posting

It's a small world......but I'd hate to paint it. -Stephen Wright

Dear All,

Let me clear the Air.

1. For the Regular Ebonite and Special Ripple Ebonite colours

- We don't have any intention of Misleading the buyer's . I just put the colour name what has been in common practice here.

Definitely , If you feel the colour name needs to be changed, we will consider and change it as appropriate

- Regarding Pictures, I just posted the picture without any modifications. So i hope there should not be significant change.

If the material differs from the pen in the picture , I used to inform buyers in upfront (for ex Blue/Olive ripple).

The Ripple pattern will vary from pen to pen. but the colours should not vary by much.

- Premium Ebonite mottled Colours- It would vary drastically from pen to pen by much. I use to mention it in my ebay website. I will add here also. We won't know which pattern we will be getting till we finish the pen.

- Regarding Colour availability- We do make small mistakes rarely . we realize the unavailability little late . But we do the best what we can do it to our customer's at that stage. I make sure customer is not loosing any money . Nothing is intentional. We always take steps to eliminate or reduce these mistakes.

Kindly PM me for any issues. I will definitely address it.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen company

Thank you for putting it across all here...

I don't think there is any need for renaming of the colors..

The color of the rods is universally named by all manufacturers across India..

And names are kept accordingly..

Also I try to point out for the correct color.. Pics by teri are also quite close to actual.. However these also vary pen to pen as pet the rod cut and color intensity and swirls do vary...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I actually appreciate mpkandan for offering to rename the color or color range accordingly. I feel there will be many more satisfied customers by doing this rather than discouraging him to make this change. This is actually a very positive step and very beneficial to buyers. That is just a good business practice. Thumbs up to Mr. mpkandan for this consideration. Not quite sure why you would discourage Ranga making this positive change?

Edited by Bamapendude

I actually appreciate mpkandan for offering to rename the color or color range accordingly. I feel there will be many more satisfied customers by doing this rather than discouraging him to make this change. This is actually a very positive step and very beneficial to buyers. That is just a good business practice. Thumbs up to Mr. mpkandan for this consideration.

I agree. The color I ordered based on the color names and photographs was so different from the pen that actually arrived, that I was disappointed enough that my husband spent the $32 expedited shipping to send it back and replace it w/another color. I would never, EVER have inked or used the pen I received. Personally, I think that showing photos that are actually representative of what we're going to receive, as well as describing and naming the colors appropriately, would be a good thing (i.e., the supposedly "pink and yellow" pen I received turned out to be a muddy burgundy & olive--both colors that I despise). Otherwise, how are we to know WHAT to expect? As it is, as long as these photos continue to be used (I noticed that many photos in this thread are in the new Bamboo Ranga thread) as representative colors for pens being sold, I will not order more pens from Ranga. When and/or if more accurate photos and descriptions are made available, I will once again consider purchasing more pens. Right now, though, the only ones I'd even be vaguely interested in are frosted demonstrators and matte black, and I have two of the former, already, and 2 of the latter waiting at the post office to be picked up. I really don't mean to be negative, as I know how photographs and monitors can affect what the eye sees, but the difference in what I ordered and what I got was huge, and couldn't be brushed off as monitor error. Even with the excellent craftsmanship of the pens, I just could not get past that color!

Edited by IrishEyes

"In the end, only kindness matters."

I agree completely that the photographs need to be taken again with a better camera and light. As with IrishEyes, I am not considering the Bamboo group offer or any other until we have better photographs. Sorry.

I agree completely that the photographs need to be taken again with a better camera and light. As with IrishEyes, I am not considering the Bamboo group offer or any other until we have better photographs. Sorry.

Be spoken with Mr. Kandan ... photographs will be retaken...

As far as naming is concerned he is open to changing them ..

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Be spoken with Mr. Kandan ... photographs will be retaken...

As far as naming is concerned he is open to changing them ..

Thank you.

I don't know if it is appropriate, but I sure would like to see some pictures of the pens that people consider to be misrepresented. I am looking forward to buying from Ranga, but I would like to make an educated decision.

Ebonite is an irregular material. Regardless of photographs presented online, there will be inconsistencies in color and pattern. The most systematic way to get an idea of a final possible product is to examine multiple images from various FPN reviews of Ranga pens, pore through the Peyton Street Pens website, the Ranga website, look at YouTube videos, etc. It can be tedious. When we're not able to physically examine a product in person, this is the reality of online purchases.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers