Group Buy - Ranga Model 8 ( Regular Ebonite & Premium Ebonite

mehandiratta

Hi,

I just received my pen. Its a stock blue rippled pen design (kind of a dark bottle green actually) with golden clip and threaded to accept Schmidt #6 nib units. I have put on a Schmidt Fine nib on it and am generally very pleased with the outcome.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• mehandiratta

• RobertJWarren

• drmukherjee

Ayami, really enjoyed your review. That's a remarkable ebonite color and finish. Thank you.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Ayami, really enjoyed your review. That's a remarkable ebonite color and finish. Thank you.

+1

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Dear All,

Shipping Update: All but 3 orders (Sanjay, Dinuraj, Michael woolf) have been shipped so far .

I have sent the shipping info through PM already for few of the buyers. I will send PM to the rest of the buyers in next couple of days.

Thanks for all your support

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Assuming you got the eyedropper version with either stock nibs or the ambitious options it should take a #6 or possibly a number #8 as well. On some of my other Ranga pens I have swapped out the very small stock Wality nibs for 40mm ambitious nibs and this was very easy to do.

Mpkandan includes spare feeds with each pen, which look just over 6mm to me, so should take the FPR 6.3mm feeds. Hope that helps.

Hi,

I received my Red/Black ebonite Eyedropper today and it is beautiful ! However, it does not write. I cleaned the nib and feed out before I used it. When inked, I had to shake ink down for it to write, then after 2-3 lines it runs dry, and will not start again. I tried heat setting the feed but it didn't work. The nib is a steel bock medium. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

R531

“Rome wasn’t built in a day, but then again I wasn’t on that particular job.” - Brian Clough

Hi,

I received my Red/Black ebonite Eyedropper today and it is beautiful ! However, it does not write. I cleaned the nib and feed out before I used it. When inked, I had to shake ink down for it to write, then after 2-3 lines it runs dry, and will not start again. I tried heat setting the feed but it didn't work. The nib is a steel bock medium. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

R531

Make sure the feed is fully primed. To do this fill the barrel up to about half of the threads. Screw the section halfway in. Flip the pen over so the nib is turned down and fully screw the section in. Do this over towels as several drops of ink will be expelled.

If that doesn't work, check the feed isn't blocked by dust from manufacturing etc. The final culprit would be the nib. I reckon it just needs to be primed though.

Make sure the feed is fully primed. To do this fill the barrel up to about half of the threads. Screw the section halfway in. Flip the pen over so the nib is turned down and fully screw the section in. Do this over towels as several drops of ink will be expelled.

If that doesn't work, check the feed isn't blocked by dust from manufacturing etc. The final culprit would be the nib. I reckon it just needs to be primed though.

Hmm,

I just tried that, and it wrote for longer, then stopped.

Thanks for the input !

“Rome wasn’t built in a day, but then again I wasn’t on that particular job.” - Brian Clough

My pen arrived today.

Joy oh joy!

I chose the Bock nib to go with mine.

And I quickly swapped the Bock nib with the Ambitious Flex nib which fitted perfectly.

As usual, Ranga includes a bonus pen and mine is the Oliver Exam...an eye catching eyedropper.

I'm going to be busy for a while playing with these ones. :)

I hope the picture I've included shows up (can't seem to figure out the easiest way to post pics here)

post-10364-0-02594000-1467282715_thumb.jpg

Edited by tfarahat

:P what you think of me is none of my business ;)

Congrats and nice looking pen!

It's a small world......but I'd hate to paint it. -Stephen Wright

My pen arrived today.

Joy oh joy!

I chose the Bock nib to go with mine.

And I quickly swapped the Bock nib with the Ambitious Flex nib which fitted perfectly.

As usual, Ranga includes a bonus pen and mine is the Oliver Exam...an eye catching eyedropper.

I'm going to be busy for a while playing with these ones. :)

I hope the picture I've included shows up (can't seem to figure out the easiest way to post pics here)

Beauty....

congrats...

vaibhav mehandiratta

I received my Ranga Model 8 today. Initially I was excited and that was short lived. I have attached some images perhaps you can see my concerns. After cleaning the feed and barrel. I inked up with Noodlers Apache Sunset. I order this pen with a flex nix and it came with a extra Wality nib and spare feed. While the nib is scratchy I expected this from a flex nib. However The ink flow kept stopping after a couple letters. If I shaked the pen a bit it would restart. I decided to revisit the nib and feed to see if there was any issues I could see. Once looking over the flex nib I am noticing the nib slit starts centered at the tip however is cut at a severe angle. Could a Bad nib be the culprit? It does not line up with the feed channel due to the cut of the nib slit.

I decided well I will swap out nibs til I get an answer or a solution on the flex nib. I notice the Wality is way shorter nib. With the supplied feed and the spare feed the feed is too long for this nib. Maybe I am just doing something wrong however I feel I may have been sent a defective flex nib and a wality nib that is not correct for this pen and or feed.

Any suggestions appreciated.

As you can see in the following pics the nib slit is not in line with the ink channel in the feed

http://i.imgur.com/HCbijVb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/856rCxK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GTNWcIL.jpg

Nib size difference and how short wality nib seats on supplied feeds

http://i.imgur.com/HteLDcp.jpg

Bamapendude:

The Wality nib is not only much shorter but looks like a #5 if the others are #6, hence not a good fit.

You could ask Ranga to send you a new nib but a quicker fix would be to get a new one yourself, like a Noodler's or Jowo from Goulet or similar. I'm sure you can get the pen working with a new nib.

Seeing I paid extra for a Flex its about principle Ranga should have seen that. I would expect at

least minimal Quality Control I could expect that from a $5 Chinese pen but not a Custom Pen. I just hope they resolve it. This is the second issue I have had with Ranga Pens. I first ordered this pen and have this issue after arrival. Other issue I ordered a Pen from Ranga on eBay. A Oliver F27 in Color Option #3. The eBay ad clearly states available in 20 Colors so I selected #3. They replied back I must select a different color as they only had 7 of the 20 colors. None of those colors they offered for alternates was one I cared for so I asked for a refund. Another issue I guess was when they get paypal payments they have it auto swiped to their bank. So when I asked for a refund I had to wait for 2 payment to be made to credit my account as they did not have the funds available. I can say they returned it within 24 hours after I complained a prompt refund should be had since their ad was misleading. Maybe I am just striking out with Ranga however these issue from a respected pen company should not happen. I PMed Mr Kandan and hope to hear a positive reply. However i am sure it will take weeks more to be resolved. The pen however overall is nice, it simply should work!

I must say i am very disappointed. This is too many issues with one company over a short period of time.

Edited by Bamapendude

I have to agree with Bamapendude on this. It IS very disappointing. I hope it is all sorted out.

Please let us know when you have had a chance to resolve the issue with Mr. Kandan.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Pens arrived today. Have not tried inking yet.http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m572/robertjwarren/IMG_0459_zpsppwenyzd.jpg

It's a small world......but I'd hate to paint it. -Stephen Wright

Seeing I paid extra for a Flex its about principle Ranga should have seen that. I would expect at

least minimal Quality Control I could expect that from a $5 Chinese pen but not a Custom Pen. I just hope they resolve it. This is the second issue I have had with Ranga Pens. I first ordered this pen and have this issue after arrival. Other issue I ordered a Pen from Ranga on eBay. A Oliver F27 in Color Option #3. The eBay ad clearly states available in 20 Colors so I selected #3. They replied back I must select a different color as they only had 7 of the 20 colors. None of those colors they offered for alternates was one I cared for so I asked for a refund. Another issue I guess was when they get paypal payments they have it auto swiped to their bank. So when I asked for a refund I had to wait for 2 payment to be made to credit my account as they did not have the funds available. I can say they returned it within 24 hours after I complained a prompt refund should be had since their ad was misleading. Maybe I am just striking out with Ranga however these issue from a respected pen company should not happen. I PMed Mr Kandan and hope to hear a positive reply. However i am sure it will take weeks more to be resolved. The pen however overall is nice, it simply should work!

I must say i am very disappointed. This is too many issues with one company over a short period of time.

Its sad to hear about the issue...

Please inform us whether the issue is resolved or not... and can you list the no.3 color of Oliver f27 here...

probably i can arrange for you...

vaibhav mehandiratta