Chicago Pen Show - Esterbrook Teaser

gweimer1

I'll have pics when I get home...there was an Esterbrook with the gold nib and hardware there for sale. :drool:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• Brian Anderson

• gweimer1

• Rodney126

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll have pics when I get home...there was an Esterbrook with the gold nib and hardware there for sale. :drool:

Did it follow you home?

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Ooooooooo! Tease away!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sounds interesting, to say the least. As to the previous post, I really shouldn't post so soon after watching Magic Mike XXL.

Edited by Rodney126

Sorry for the poor quality pics - I didn't have my better camera with me. No...it didn't follow me home. It was priced as you would expect something so uncommon. As it was, I couldn't afford a few other pens at that same price level that I *REALLY* wanted to put in my pocket and leave there. I did come home with a Pilot VP for myself, my first Pilot.

Here you go....drool away...

fpn_1462154163__esterbrook_gold_1.jpg

fpn_1462154236__esterbrook_gold_2.jpg

fpn_1462154273__esterbrook_gold_3.jpg

Hopefully Brian will be along to fill in the blanks on this one, as my brain is failing me at the moment. It is a relief "M," but that is all I can remember.

I picked one up several years ago. Here is a poor scanner shot I took at the time.

http://www.gergyor.com/images/relief_m_35.jpg

and compared to LJ and SJs:

http://www.gergyor.com/images/esterbrook_relief_sj.jpg

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I didn't know Esterbrook ever made gold nibs. So, what nib # do I need to add to the "someday I want to try and get..." list? I've got a good number of 9xxx nibs already, including a 9555 and a couple of 9128s but there a few that have eluded me (weirdly, I thought I had a 9556 -- but apparently not; and the "9314" ones turned out to be mostly 2314s instead). Plus, I think my husband would get a kick out of the 8440 superfine (cartrogaphy) nib, but the price I've seen quoted (and that was in terms of "If we had it, what we'd be asking for it is [white noise]" was sort of in the "nosebleed seat" category (also known as "completely unaffordable"...). Or does this actually have a number (i.e., is this just "Esterbrook 14K Relief nib")?

Wow. Just had a bizarre thought. If I ever *did* get one of these nibs, I'd put it on a pen and call the pen something like "Freeman" or "Number 6".... :lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Is it one of the English Relief pens made by Conway Stewart? One of the later ones? Esterbrook began making 14k gold 314 Relief nibs for pens back around the turn of the century and first they were put on rubber eye dropper from Paul Wirt, De La Rye and others. Then Cnway Stewart began to make a line of Relef pens in England using the nibs, most likely in the English Esterbrook factory.

The pen is named after the 314 Relief dip nib which was the inspiration for the fountain pen nib. It's a small stub nib (in is original form, though the renew points also came out with a broad version with the x314-B)

I don't think these are renew point nibs, and the early ones definitely ain't, but you never know with Esterbrook.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

Is it one of the English Relief pens made by Conway Stewart? One of the later ones? Esterbrook began making 14k gold 314 Relief nibs for pens back around the turn of the century and first they were put on rubber eye dropper from Paul Wirt, De La Rye and others. Then Cnway Stewart began to make a line of Relef pens in England using the nibs, most likely in the English Esterbrook factory.

The pen is named after the 314 Relief dip nib which was the inspiration for the fountain pen nib. It's a small stub nib (in is original form, though the renew points also came out with a broad version with the x314- B)

I don't think these are renew point nibs, and the early ones definitely ain't, but you never know with Esterbrook.

This is not made by Conway, it was made in the Esterbrook factory in England. This is also a renew-point, that it is threaded just like all the rest we are familiar with. To date I have collected, green, blue, and red with the gold plated trim and 14ct nib. There may be more, but am not at home at the moment.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Excellent! Just added one more to the list. (curse you Brian!)

I may be just a little ambivalent to there being yet another whole category of Esterbrook collecting.

Was the 14ct nib only made in the 14 Relief model, or did they have other model renew-point nibs in gold?

-Montaigne

Excellent! Just added one more to the list. (curse you Brian!)

I may be just a little ambivalent to there being yet another whole category of Esterbrook collecting.

Was the 14ct nib only made in the 14 Relief model, or did they have other model renew-point nibs in gold?

Ok, I went to look now and I have Black and green, looks like I should have bought the blue. Not sure on red now, I was confused with the solid color LJ and SJ they made similarly. Only 14ct I have seen is a Relief, no other nib tippings. Some models were gold plated, but that's just a flashy paint job on an otherwise standard car. :)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Ok, I went to look now and I have Black and green, looks like I should have bought the blue. Not sure on red now, I was confused with the solid color LJ and SJ they made similarly. Only 14ct I have seen is a Relief, no other nib tippings. Some models were gold plated, but that's just a flashy paint job on an otherwise standard car. :)

Yep, they made a red one, too.

post-242-0-02623800-1462258134_thumb.jpg

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Oooooooo! You guys are killing me. The Triangle pen show is coming up....

-Montaigne