Pens With Oversized Nibs?

Brian C

Help me out by suggesting pens that have oversized nibs. For this I am considering any nib larger than the JoWo #6 as oversized. Here's what I have so far:

Montblanc 149

Pelikan M1000

Sailor King of Pen

Delta Dolce Vita Oversize

Jowo #8 nib

Namiki Emperor

Danitrio Genkai

Danitrio Yokozuna nib

Edited by Brian C

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• flipper_gv

• penmanila

• kapanak

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you'll look at vintage nibs, try a Waterman 58. Or a Waterman 20 if you don't mind an eyedropper pen.

The Visconti Dreamtouch (Palladium) nibs are also fairly large.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

Sheaffer PFM and Legacy family have a fairly large nib.

I believe the new Wahl Eversharp Decoband has a #9 nib.

If you are considering vintage too, there's the Waterman 100 year pen oversize, which seems to have a huge nib, but I'm not sure exactly how big as I was never able to find a picture of it next to another pen that I know.

BTW, the viscontis and the pilot 743/823 nibs are of the same size as the #6 nibs on MB 146. So, not exactly the size you asked.

For me also Platinum 3776 has a very large nib.

Good pen, but I don't like so large nib in a regular sized pen.

I would definitely look at custom pens. In addition to Romillo there is Oldwin, Goldfink, Astoria and Shaun Newton.

Are you looking for pens readily available and in a certain budget?

There are a few groups that are commonly found:

The MB #9. This is well known and has oNE official source, though you can fiND loose nibs.

Sailor nibs. They look like the MB nibs bit they offer specialty options galore which makes them a fun option to explore, though expensive.

Pens based on the Bock A380 nib. These include many listed above like Goldfink, Astoria, Wahl, Danitrio, Delta, and not yet mentioned Lambrou Pens (formerly Classic Pens). If you order enough Bock will custom tune the nibs which is why you get so much variation amongst all these brands.

Pens based on the Jowo #8. Often found at custom pen makers like Newton, Scriptorium, and other shops like Bexley, and I think Montegrappa. These are wider than the #6 but not a whole lot longer.

Custom nibs. Romillo is often cited, but Newton has moved into this realm also. There are probably others. Some more skilled makers can use the old large dip nib pens with a custom feed.

The #12/#50 nibs. The Namiki was mentioned, but in the past Bexley had the ultra giant with a nib that size.

Vintage nibs. Waterman 20, Waterman Patrician, Sheaffer Balance, Waterman 58, Parker Giant, probably other brands I am forgetting. These tend to get expensive the larger they get because they are fairly scarce.

There are novelty pens with bigger nibs, but they are not what you are looking for.

If you have more specifics in your desire I may be able to add more color.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

For me also Platinum 3776 has a very large nib.

Good pen, but I don't like so large nib in a regular sized pen.

This. To me, large or not, the nib on this pen looks large on the pen itself. Very nice.

Glenn

They're 50+ years out of production, but Soennecken made a number of pens with very large nibs. I believe they are found on the 120, 420, Prasident 1 (the regular Prasident is about #6 size), and 111 Extra (not sure if I'm missing any models).

You didn't put any restriction on price, so I'll add the Classic Pens ZJ1 - in the same league as the MB 149

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/tn_ZJ1_Mozaique_sterling_silverMB149_open1.JPG

and here is one of the Classic ZJ2, an unreleased prototype with similar large Bock nib.

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/longines-zj2web.jpg

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Probably the largest nib I've seen and handled in person was the Sailor King of Pen (Ebonite) with the King Eagle nib. That to me is a grail pen, especially the Urushi models. I've seen photos of larger nibs I cannot recall. Shawn Newton of Newton Pens makes some custom oversized nibs that are larger than the King Eagle nib too.

The 18K No. 8 nib on the custom Astoria Goliaths made by Max Schrage is huuuge--and nicely wet and springy.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

• 1 year later...

I'll add a goldfink nib from the fifties

post-133260-0-47036300-1510366564_thumb.jpg

post-133260-0-31838100-1510367428_thumb.jpg

my avatar picture

and an even rarer one, a Romanian pen, Ceaucescu's Masterpiece, the Flaro Titan :

post-133260-0-12965000-1510367221_thumb.jpg

a close cousin of the iconic MB 149, as you can see. A look at the feed :

post-133260-0-20221800-1510367348_thumb.jpg