Advice On New Pens Please

Hippocratic

Hello everyone!

So I am thinking of buying a new pen, all of these cost the same amount so price is removed from the consideration.

• Lamy 2000 with an extra fine nib. (I assume EF is best as I like asian fine nibs)
  • Platinum #3776 Century Nice. (Fine as it's an asian nib)
  • Waterman Carene. I'm hoping the nib isn't too thick as I can only get medium nibs. :(

To be honest, the main debate is between the top two. I have another asian pen, the TWSBI 580AL which I adore, the fine nib is perfect for my rather tiny handwriting.

My pens are heavy use, I am a student who likes to hand write her notes. Again, I have TINY handwriting so the Pelikan Medium and LAMY medium nibs being far too thick.

I use Diamine ink exclusively at the moment but am planning on buying some J. Herbin ink soon (Possibly along with the order for this pen).

I really love piston filler pens but am happy to use converters, I just prefer the capacity and ease of piston fillers.

This is the pen I will buy FIRST, the one I do not buy will be on the list to be bought next. ;)

I am also happy to take suggesting for other pens I might like.

I know I am getting the Namiki raden pilot VP for my birthday and possibly the Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann Anthracite depending on the outcome of my exams in 2 months. I am really excited about both of these.

If anyone has any advice vis a vis the pens above let me know! :D

Edited by Hippocratic

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hippocratic

• sharonspens

• Sandy1

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

:W2FPN:

Hi,

My personal pick would be the robust Carene, but I agree that the M nib might be too wide for your hand. I have no idea why you can't acquire a pen with a narrow nib, or have an M nib hand-ground to your desired width. (Cost constraint?)

If you prefer a factory fresh off-the-shelf quite narrow nib, then I reckon Japanese pens are the way to go.

(While I usually decline to plump a Vendor, I noticed that our friends at Classic Fountain Pens have reduced prices on the Pur LE model. CFP also set-up the nib, which I think is quite important for narrow nibs so that they are not overly scratchy. http://www.nibs.com/platinum-3776-century-nice-pur.htm)

I'm sure other Members will be along shortly with even more ideas and temptations. :)

I wish you good fortune on your exams!!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Personally, I would go for the Platinum 3776 before I would get the Lamy 2000. The 2000 feels FAT in my hand.

And for the Lamy EF is as fine as you will get it, short of getting a nib meister grind it even finer.

I am pretty sure that the TWSBI nib are made in Germany and the nib size is German. So if you want fine, you want to get the TWSBI EF nib.

BUT warning, the finer the nib, the more sensitive it will be to the paper surface texture. IOW you will feel vibrations coming up the pen from the nib on the paper. I tell people hard smooth paper for the EF nibs, and a light hand.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I too have a tiny handwriting and agree with Sandy1 that the medium point Carene might create too thick a line for day-to-day writing. I happen to have bought a Waterman with a medium nib recently, and although it writes beautifully, it needs to be my special at-home pen, partly because it demands that I write a larger script than I would for work.

The fact that you plan to use a J Herbin ink makes this argument even more compelling. I have found that J Herbin inks write a thicker line than most other inks in my small collection.

So of the pens you mention, I would also lean toward the Platinum.

Wow, Waterman's site is terrible! :gaah:

Nibs.com does sell factory Carene nibs from EF through B and Stubs. You can also order a pen with those nibs.

Edited by Uncle Red

I own a couple of 2000's and a Platinum is near the top of my most wanted list. You seem to have the knowledge about the differences in nibs. My best advice to you is, if at all possible, make a trip to a pen shop in the hope they stock both brands and see what they feel like in YOUR hand.

Advice given in these sort of posts is I'm sure given in all honesty but everyone is different. A shining example is what AC12 has written about a 2000, he thinks it is too fat where I think it feels very comfortable. Neither of us are wrong, we just have differing opinions on how a particular pen feels.

Chances are you are considering an Internet purchase, prices are cheaper than B&M stores but it is a bit of a lucky dip when the pen arrives if YOU think it feels right for YOU.

Good luck in your quest.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Thanks everyone! I actually like a thicker pen in my hand, the TWSBI feels lovely, as does my pelikan. There are a few pen shops up in London I could visit but as my finals are in 5 weeks I don't have the time to travel up. I would definitely get a nib ground if I knew anyone around my area who could do it.

So far buying online hasn't caused me any problems. My main concern is the thickness of the nib as I quite enjoy a variety of weights and thicknesses in my pens depending on my mood. The TWSBI fine nib is a good width for me, I wouldn't want it any thicker but am sure finer would also be great. As for scratching I tend to write on Oxford campus notebooks with the 90gsm Optik paper and have had no problems so far.

I was also wondering if anyone had any strong preferences or words of wisdom about either pen, or indeed any other recommendations. Or if anyone had a bad experience with any of the pens.

I notice that the OP is is in Scotland, I think, so ordering may be the best/only option for getting the pen. I don't know if shipping from Nibs.Com is in the realm of possibilities for Hippocratic, but that Pur's price should be tempting for those on this side of the Atlantic! Thanks, Sandy and Uncle Red, for possibly lightening MY wallet. LOL

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Double post. Sorry.

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Hi Hippocreatic

Out of those I would think that the Platinum is the best for you. I've found that the Carene is really quite broad with Diamine inks and the Lamy , although I don't own it (yet, but I've researched it) has a sweet spot which may prove difficult to use on an EF, but perhaps less so on a medium or wider. It also tends to run much broader.

My Twsbi 580 EF nib is very stiff just like my Platinum 3776 so it will give you a similar writing experience. The Platinum is just a tiny bit narrower than the Twsbi

I have several Platinum 3776 Centuries (F, F and SF), and used to have a Lamy 2000 EF (until the truck ran over it). I have found both types to be comfortable in my hand, and also write a pretty small hand, too. The 3776 F nibs are finer, and a bit drier than the L2K's EF, but pretty close overall.

The other day I was writing some notes with an early 1940's Sheaffer Balance 500 with a #5 Feather Touch nib. It's one of the smallest "normal" pens I've got, smaller than what I'm usually comfortable with, but posted it's just long enough to work. And the nib is probably the sweetest writer I've got. The line is very fine, but wet enough to show very well without feathering on fairly plain paper.

Normally I'd only be looking at new pens, but maybe a little poking about for a vintage pen might be worth it, too.

Thank you to everyone who replied with advice! I think I shall be going for the Platinum #3776 in a fine or extra fine nib. One that matches my TWSBI fine nib would be perfect. The LAMY 2000 next on my list!

Thanks again!

Just a warning: don't be surprised if the Pilot VP Raden replaces all your other pens as your daily writer for class notes and much other work. With an F or EF nib the capacity of the Pilot converter is adequate, and for my taste that pen has no equal for taking notes and other applications that require bursts of writing separated by pauses.

ron

Just a warning: don't be surprised if the Pilot VP Raden replaces all your other pens as your daily writer for class notes and much other work. With an F or EF nib the capacity of the Pilot converter is adequate, and for my taste that pen has no equal for taking notes and other applications that require bursts of writing separated by pauses.

ron

That sounds brilliant! At the moment I mainly use my TWSBI with the other pens holding colours for topic headers and important terms. I can't wait to try the VP!

I was absolutely determined to hold a Lamy 2000 before I bought one. I'd heard that some people are bothered by the "ears," the points of the cap retention spring. Good thing too, because I am one of them. With luck, you will not be.

I think I will pop to one of the shops in London while I'm visiting this weekend. I assume/hope they'll stock it.