Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal Review

Merackon

Hiya once more! The effects of the birthday splurge are just coming to bear, and time to review the second of the three pens that I allowed myself to purchase for my birthday, the first being the M805 Vibrant Blue and the third will be covered in an upcoming review.

As with the OMAS Paragon SE that I reviewed, I think that this needs a little bit of a back story before I go into it. Ever since seeing SBREBrown's and Dan Smith (curse you) reviews of this pen, I had been casually searching around for this pen opportunistically. When I got my Bronze Age VHS a little over a year ago, I stepped up my search to find my perfect incarnation of this pen. Until very recently, this has been a challenge, for my preferences regarding the pattern was very strict, and I was sent photos by prospective sellers of iterations which just weren't right for me. Then, two weeks ago, I found one online, and asked the seller for some photos...and it was the perfect one for me.

1. Dimensions
  2. Box and contents
  3. Appearance
  4. Fit and finish
  5. Filling system
  6. Ergonomics
  7. Nib performance
  8. Closing thoughts and conclusion

Dimensions

Length capped - 146mm

Length uncapped - 133mm

Nib length - 24.5mm

Section length - 16.5mm (not including threads)

Section diameter lo - 11mm

Section diameter hi - 12.1mm

Box Contents

In my journey to find my favourite fountain pens so far, I have gone through a number of 'flagship' models from the major manufacturers; Paragon, 149, 2000, M1000. With each of them, I have been relatively disappointed by the rather average presentation, especially considering the profit margins per unit. However, with this pen I was very pleased indeed.

The box is relatively large (21cm wide) and the black lacquer covers a very dense and hard material (not sure if wood or not). Unlike with the other presentation boxes of the aforementioned pens, I feel that I could use this box in the future for storage and as a desk piece quite comfortably, and indeed thus far it has remained open on my desk for my pen of the day.

Inside is the soft pen tray, and below that is the usual propaganda and warranty information. Mine also came with one of those Visconti paper markers in the shape of their nibs, not sure why or how, as the box seemed to be unopened when it arrived, and I haven't seen this in other reviews, so it remains a mystery how that got there.

As I have said before, this is a highly subjective area, but considering the price being paid out for these implements, I don't think its too much to ask for for higher quality presentation to enhance the overall experience. This pen isn't as expensive as some of the others on the list, but blows them all out of the water with regard to presentation.

post-122828-0-62773600-1462100344_thumb.jpg

post-122828-0-45312700-1462100357_thumb.jpg

Appearance

Just as with the M805, this is the wall of text area. Apologies.

If any pen were to be a personal Grail, in that I have / had to spend a long time looking for it, or it being rare and very difficult to find, then this would be it. My criteria for this pen were a barrel that was ~50% clear and ~50% patterned, softened patterns and an even distribution of the pattern across the barrel. Of the dozen that I found, all had 1 or 2 of these characteristics, but fell far short of the third. This one is perfect though. There is a lovely variety of patterns across the barrel, with thick and heavy bands of the patterns, which assists in highlighting the iridescence brilliantly.

post-122828-0-31808800-1462100897_thumb.jpg

The blue itself is a very dark blue, not at all like the M805 VB. I think it is fair to say that it is definitely more of an ocean blue than anything. This is important because I feel that there are not many blue that would have complimented the green iridescence as well as the one used, resulting in a pen that looks gorgeous no matter the lighting, and when the green does come out in the light, it pairs really nicely with the rest of the pen. Talking about the pattern is difficult, as photos can't quite do it justice. If I were to say anything about it, it would be this:

'Ribbons of green and blue trapped between two layers of transparent material, that when caught in the light, glow and shimmer to reveal there depth and iridescence'

post-122828-0-57146000-1462100735_thumb.jpg

post-122828-0-04607700-1462100637_thumb.jpg

When filled, the pattern is far easier to see and stands out much better. The depth characteristic is also accentuated when against the dark backdrop of blue ink.

Moving on from the patterns, the trim of the pen is a bright intense silver, that once more goes very well with the rest of the pen. The silver contrasts very well with the black writing and lacquer, making both stand out against the rest of the body, and the curvature of the bridge clip fits in with the rest of the curving character of the body. The palladium alloy is left bare and unplated, ensuring that the main triad of colours is continued all throughout the pen.

Fit and Finish

Here is the point where I talk about the only downsides to this pen. I have been through 9 Viscontis, 6 of which were replacing flawed pens let down by build quality or glaring errors in construction that should never have been there in the first place. Although my friends doing engineering and design joke about Italian QC, it must be said that Visconti, at least in my experience, don't really do anything to help themselves out here. Two of the build problems are not major, but should not have been there considering the price and edition of this pen, the third is more concerning however.

The first quality slip is the lacquer on the clip. On one side, the O is not fully filled in, and on the other, the top hook of the S is not filled in. Neither of these are overly noticeable, but as Dan Smith noted, this sort of slip should not have made it out of the factory.

The second slip I found when looking at the section - barrel joint. The pen came with around .5mm of space between the threads and the silver section band. This was resolved by uncapping and gripping the section whilst it snapped back against the band. Not a major oversight, but definitely one that shouldn't have been there.

The third is the most problematic however, and one that I am very frustrated with. Exactly as what happened to Dan Smith, the secondary ink reservoir is now discoloured by ink. I know its ink because it was not there when I received the pen. This has gotten progressively worse each time that I have filled the pen, to the point where it is now no longer transparent when the reservoir is moved into the main body. I have no idea where the ink is leaking into the gap between the inner and outer layer of acrylic, and I am not sure if it came about as a result of the section not being fully connected, though this is unlikely. My attempts to clean the ink away have been unsuccessful, and I am not going to send the pen to Visconti to get 'repaired' after what they did to my Opera Elements last year (glued the cap band in place at the wrong angle and screwed the nib up even more). This has had no impact on my use of the pen, and can mostly be covered up as long as the secondary reservoir is full, but once more, it should not be like this.

post-122828-0-46710000-1462100288_thumb.jpg

Visconti's inconsistency in my experience has mostly put me off them now. I was hoping that this would be the pen that changed my view of them, but given they have gotten an LE wrong, I am extremely wary of buying any more of their pens, until there is a marked difference in QC. For the time being, those Viscontis on my buy list have been moved down significantly in favour of more German and Japanese pens.

Filling System

Before this pen, the piston mechanism was my preferred filling system, as the 823's vacuum filler didn't feel nearly as high quality as the German pistons, and the VHS Bronze failed to draw ink half the time. That being said, I feel that the Visconti DR Power Filler is at least in my opinion the best filling system of any pen that I own and have owned. It is just as easy to fill as the piston, yet grants almost double the capacity and reduces the weight of the pen, all the while being of an exceedingly high quality through the entirely metal assembly.

The secondary reservoir feature is one that I do not anticipate using much, but is a welcome feature nonetheless.

Ergonomics

The VHS ergonomics are exceptional, almost rivalling my Paragon's in terms of comfort and usability. It is about the middle of the pack when looking at normal sized pens and oversized pens, and the curvature of the section ensures that it is comfortable for most users. I find that this is a much nicer EDC feel in hand than my preferred Paragon, due to the Paragon needing to be used at a desk for it to sit perfectly, whilst with the VHS almost any angle of grip or angle to paper is comfortable.

The threads argument is not really an issue here, I find. Because of the shape of the grooves for the hook mechanism, should your finger come into contact with the threads when you are gripping the pen, it feels not much different the step up between the section and barrel found in other pens, all the while being more comfortable than standard screw threads.

Leading into the capping mechanism, I am of the opinion that the hook mechanism of many of Visconti's pens is the best capping system on the market. It offers security, comfort and ease of use whilst maintaining the best elements of the standard securing mechanisms. The only issue with it is that sometimes it is smoother than others, as a result of alignment of cap to barrel when you go to cap it. It is a shame that this mechanism is patented, as I would have loved to see it become more popular across other manufacturers.

The ever polarising Visconti clip is nice and springy to the point of easy use, but without being overly insecure. It is undoubtedly less secure than the standard 'bent' clip, but personally this has never been an issue, but is an understandable one for those that need the security.

Nib Performance

This is the best Visconti nib I have used by far. I personally found my VHS Bronze nib to be a little too springy for my liking, meaning that it was difficult for me to get a consistent line in a single sentence (blame deathgrip), not to go into the hard starts, or the inability to dot 'i', or the tines clicking up and down against each other, or the flow not keeping up with the writing speed...

The Crystal Swirls nib is firmer than the other palladium nibs I have used, though still offers great line variation when pushed a little. It is dead smooth with some feedback, but at an enjoyable level, without any catching or stuttering on the paper.

Flow is excellent, and it writes as soon as put to the paper, again unlike my previous pens, and puts down a relatively mid level wetness, resulting in colour appearing close to how it is intended. I must confess that I am not a huge fan of 7+/10 wetness nibs, as they don't really do anything for me, whilst being relatively problematic to use out and about at times.

The nib is a medium, and it certainly delivers there, albeit being slightly closer to a fine than the other European mediums that I have in my collection. Downstrokes have ever so slightly increased thickness to sidestrokes, but not to any level noticeable in day to day writing.

All in all, this is the first Visconti nib deserving of the Dreamtouch moniker. It writes without any pressure, is perfectly smooth and is an absolute joy to use. If only the other 6 nibs had been like this...if only...

post-122828-0-61285900-1462100409_thumb.jpg

Closing Thoughts and Conclusion

#498/1000 is a fantastic addition to my small collection, and one that I feel was definitely worth the time and wait involved in procuring it. Everything about using this pen is satisfying for me, to a level that I have only experienced on one other pen; The Paragon SE, and almost everything about the pen as a whole is completely satisfying as well. If it weren't for the screw ups with the quality control, this pen would be perfect in my eyes.

Since receiving this and using it, I have pushed it into my always carry set with the Paragon and 149, having kicked out the Bronze Age in favour of this significant upgrade. I have also since offloaded my VHS Bronze due to this acquisition.

I paid £539 for this pen from a UK seller. Because of the difficulty in finding this pen, I can't really compare it to the prices of other sellers, though I think that it was bought for around £50-70 cheaper than the price it was originally offered at when released.

Comparing it to other Homo Sapiens models, this is a fantastic purchase, given a new Bronze Age can run between £400 and £500 from most sellers. Is it worth the difference in price? Perhaps...It is a Limited Edition after all. Although the lava resin is very interesting and certainly a nice USP of the standard line, I would personally take the Crystal Swirls any day of the week over it, especially if you are paying the upper price end for the Bronze Age.

Comparing this to other similarly priced pens, I could've gotten an CONID, a Divina Elegance, or a 149. Equally, I could have spent less and gotten another M800, or all number of mid-high tier pens from Japan. Given that this is a Limited Edition model, and that it has many neat features going for it, I think that this is a good value proposition. I would find it hard to go for one of the aforementioned pens over another Crystal Swirls / Florentine Hills / London Fog LE given the choice.

post-122828-0-14076500-1462100499_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Merackon

• Exlaminis

• katanankes

• sannidh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a beautiful pen!!! ... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: .... Nowhere near affordable to me, but quite beautiful.

Congrats on a lovely pen.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I used to have one, before I passed it onto someone else. Beautiful beautiful pen. Though it is expensive, it is well worth it. I think the blue one is prettier than the green one as well as the new grey one. Enjoy your pen!

I used to have one, before I passed it onto someone else. Beautiful beautiful pen. Though it is expensive, it is well worth it. I think the blue one is prettier than the green one as well as the new grey one. Enjoy your pen!

I decided to completely forego the green, it just didn't do anything for me because of the sparse amount of swirls. The grey one isn't currently doing much for me either, but well see what the images are like upon release. I think it's a shame that they didn't add as much iridescence on the green or the grey, it's what makes the Crystal Swirls magical to me.

Congratulations on finding one that you liked! I too have one of these, the #509/1000, which incidentally, I received last week after sending it in for a nib exchange. The previous nib had an unsightly mis-aligned nib slit, which irked me to no end, and tended to skip infrequently but often enough to aggravate. It was a smooth and web nib though, but the replacement is definitely more deserving of the 'Dreamtouch' moniker. I completely agree with you that the LE is much nicer than the normal HS lineup, but then again, I have only handled the Steel Age before the Crystal Swirls. I suspect that the Bronze and the Dark Age models would elicit a similar reaction though. Interestingly enough, the Steel Age didn't uncap as easily as the LE, which is probably due to some factor like friction from the lava resin.

Unfortunately, Visconti's QC is none too impressive. My own was fully lacquered on the clip, but on the left side there is a splotch on the lacquer which makes me question, between yours, mine and other exemplars I have seen, how shoddy their QC must have been on this model. Oh well, I guess that's the trade-off sometimes, and at least it's merely aesthetic. I noticed that the ink leaking near the inaccessible area of the Double Reservoir has so far not occurred with mine, even after several fillings, but the Double Reservoir so far has proven nearly useless. When sending the pen off, it failed to contain the ink despite emptying the small reservoir and sealing it; the seller reported receiving a cap full of ink.

The filling mechanism is something I'm not completely sold on, to be honest. I'd rather a piston filler, and as my use of pens requires that I write for extended periods, I do not like having to fiddle with the pen to refill the small reservoir at the front which runs out very quickly.

All these criticisms aside, I do love the HS Crystal Swirls LE, and I am actually thinking of buying another, purely for myself, since the first was actually intended as a gift. No pen so far has made me feel scripturient like the HS, and like you I have tried various flagship pens from Lamy, Montblanc etc. I love the capping mechanism and the curved grip, which is comfortable enough to prevent my squeezing the pen to death. That said, I have a preference for oversized pens and large nibs, which is why I am still tossing up over getting another HS or the 149, a Namiki Yukari Royale or a Nakaya Seiryu. However, the 149 is here to stay for the foreseeable future, and the Crystal Swirls is an LE. The other options I considered are in the same situation. Between a normal lava HS and the LEs? The LE wins for me, without question, though the London Fog does nothing for me.

Now, if Visconti came out with a HS in the Crimson Tide pattern, I think my wallet will just waltz its way to the graveyard. That's the only one I can see being better than this one. Oh, and hopefully Visconti betters their QC by then.

Congratulations on finding one that you liked! I too have one of these, the #509/1000, which incidentally, I received last week after sending it in for a nib exchange. The previous nib had an unsightly mis-aligned nib slit, which irked me to no end, and tended to skip infrequently but often enough to aggravate. It was a smooth and web nib though, but the replacement is definitely more deserving of the 'Dreamtouch' moniker. I completely agree with you that the LE is much nicer than the normal HS lineup, but then again, I have only handled the Steel Age before the Crystal Swirls. I suspect that the Bronze and the Dark Age models would elicit a similar reaction though. Interestingly enough, the Steel Age didn't uncap as easily as the LE, which is probably due to some factor like friction from the lava resin.

Unfortunately, Visconti's QC is none too impressive. My own was fully lacquered on the clip, but on the left side there is a splotch on the lacquer which makes me question, between yours, mine and other exemplars I have seen, how shoddy their QC must have been on this model. Oh well, I guess that's the trade-off sometimes, and at least it's merely aesthetic. I noticed that the ink leaking near the inaccessible area of the Double Reservoir has so far not occurred with mine, even after several fillings, but the Double Reservoir so far has proven nearly useless. When sending the pen off, it failed to contain the ink despite emptying the small reservoir and sealing it; the seller reported receiving a cap full of ink.

The filling mechanism is something I'm not completely sold on, to be honest. I'd rather a piston filler, and as my use of pens requires that I write for extended periods, I do not like having to fiddle with the pen to refill the small reservoir at the front which runs out very quickly.

All these criticisms aside, I do love the HS Crystal Swirls LE, and I am actually thinking of buying another, purely for myself, since the first was actually intended as a gift. No pen so far has made me feel scripturient like the HS, and like you I have tried various flagship pens from Lamy, Montblanc etc. I love the capping mechanism and the curved grip, which is comfortable enough to prevent my squeezing the pen to death. That said, I have a preference for oversized pens and large nibs, which is why I am still tossing up over getting another HS or the 149, a Namiki Yukari Royale or a Nakaya Seiryu. However, the 149 is here to stay for the foreseeable future, and the Crystal Swirls is an LE. The other options I considered are in the same situation. Between a normal lava HS and the LEs? The LE wins for me, without question, though the London Fog does nothing for me.

Now, if Visconti came out with a HS in the Crimson Tide pattern, I think my wallet will just waltz its way to the graveyard. That's the only one I can see being better than this one. Oh, and hopefully Visconti betters their QC by then.

Thanks for that!!! Always nice to hear of other people's experiences! Yeah, whilst the lava was nice, I can't quite place why I prefer the Crystal soooo much more in the hand? Sorry to hear about your power filler experience. I too must admit that I am considering tinkering with the valve to get the ink to flow freely (like you can with the 823) so that I don't have to unscrew the rear end after a long period of writing.

When I saw the first images of the London Fog I was really excited for it, but now after this I am not so sure. I think that my decision will be very dependent on the photos released by the likes of Dan Smith and other enthusiasts. But at the moment, I am leaning more towards the no.

Have you offloaded your HS Crystal? I can't quite tell from that prose? I find it strange that I enjoy my 149s so much. They aren't my best writers (though they are still certainly brilliant writers in the grand scheme of things), but I just enjoy using them a lot. Perhaps its the ergonomics or something, but either way, I now own 2 149s and a 146 and would gladly get more of them instead of any other pens at the moment, and I would recommend the 149 hands down. Although I have a niggling at the back of my mind telling me to get one of the Namiki Radens, I can't quite stomach it because of the filling system; piston/vacuum or nought for me, and Nakaya's don't appeal because of their size and the fact that their nibs are effectively the same as those found on significantly less expensive Platinum pens.

I agree on the last point though, if Visconti were to release a Crimson Tide edition of the HS, then I would definitely be right on board that ship!

The HS Crystal I bought was given to its intended owner, but I tested it for a while to make sure that nothing was unacceptably wrong with the pen. So therefore whilst it cannot be called mine, I see it all the time and occasionally play with it. During that testing phase, I think the outcome was potentially very harmful to my wallet's miserable existence; hence my search for a new pen and the arduous wait for a new HS Crimson Tide LE which may never come to existence. And these fanciful delights visit me at an inopportune time, whence I was considering the purchase of audio equipment I am now diverted in that pursuit as if cursed by the sweetness of that experience to procure one for myself - these wantful expenses truly become expensive very quickly. Truly, like the forbidden fruit it is. I know that if I miss this chance, then I shall have regrets later. And so, last night I contacted the seller from whom I bought the Crystal and asked to see more patterns, from which I might select another pen. Whilst I have yet to see the photos, I admit that a part of me hopes that he has one to my liking, and another part wishes that he doesn't. Like you, I am selective for one which has a perfect balance between pattern and clarity.

It is pretty interesting that your thoughts on Namiki/Nakaya are quite like my own. I also didn't like how the Nakaya nibs were essentially Platinum nibs, which makes me wonder if any other nib unit (Visconti, Pelikan, Montblanc etc) could be swapped in. This outcome seems unlikely beyond any measure but the end user's, with full knowledge and acceptance of voiding warranties. These dissatisfactions may change if I had the pens in hand, but unfortunately, Australia's market for fountain pens is almost prohibitive and very lacking. Without pen in hand, one must make do with mere thoughts of how a pen might write and feel, which is strange that after so many pens and so much money spent, I have yet to add to my collection a pen that not just writes, but makes me want to write. To this end, where others may simply desire a new pen out of boredom with their current possessions or to acquire something they yet do not have, in my case I seek one which is not plagued with issues and which feels suited to my hand - a personal instrument. This would mean for me a pen which can write for a long time in minimal discomfort, necessitating an oversized pen with a large ink capacity, or so it would seem after my suffocatingly tight grips on thin pens. Life is too short to force one's self to write with bad pens.

At a later date I would definitely add a 149 in platinum trim to the collection, and it is pleasing to hear that you enjoy your 149s. At present my intention is more inclined towards procuring a second HS Crystal since I have no pen like it in my collection and for the meantime I am a bit tired of seeing black cigars and demonstrators. I hope that when I do eventually get that 149, it is perfect, since my 146 has been nothing but a frustration with both its nib and piston being problematic. Eventually also will come the Namiki and the Nakaya, but in which order, who knows?

Also, I hope you enjoy your new 149 90th Anniversary. It is a nice pen. I bought the 146 90th Anniversary two years ago, but to this day it has never been inked. I gave it as a gift, but unfortunately its recipient has little occasion to use it and so it sits in its box. Hopefully, one of these days...

The HS Crystal I bought was given to its intended owner, but I tested it for a while to make sure that nothing was unacceptably wrong with the pen. So therefore whilst it cannot be called mine, I see it all the time and occasionally play with it. During that testing phase, I think the outcome was potentially very harmful to my wallet's miserable existence; hence my search for a new pen and the arduous wait for a new HS Crimson Tide LE which may never come to existence. And these fanciful delights visit me at an inopportune time, whence I was considering the purchase of audio equipment I am now diverted in that pursuit as if cursed by the sweetness of that experience to procure one for myself - these wantful expenses truly become expensive very quickly. Truly, like the forbidden fruit it is. I know that if I miss this chance, then I shall have regrets later. And so, last night I contacted the seller from whom I bought the Crystal and asked to see more patterns, from which I might select another pen. Whilst I have yet to see the photos, I admit that a part of me hopes that he has one to my liking, and another part wishes that he doesn't. Like you, I am selective for one which has a perfect balance between pattern and clarity.

It is pretty interesting that your thoughts on Namiki/Nakaya are quite like my own. I also didn't like how the Nakaya nibs were essentially Platinum nibs, which makes me wonder if any other nib unit (Visconti, Pelikan, Montblanc etc) could be swapped in. This outcome seems unlikely beyond any measure but the end user's, with full knowledge and acceptance of voiding warranties. These dissatisfactions may change if I had the pens in hand, but unfortunately, Australia's market for fountain pens is almost prohibitive and very lacking. Without pen in hand, one must make do with mere thoughts of how a pen might write and feel, which is strange that after so many pens and so much money spent, I have yet to add to my collection a pen that not just writes, but makes me want to write. To this end, where others may simply desire a new pen out of boredom with their current possessions or to acquire something they yet do not have, in my case I seek one which is not plagued with issues and which feels suited to my hand - a personal instrument. This would mean for me a pen which can write for a long time in minimal discomfort, necessitating an oversized pen with a large ink capacity, or so it would seem after my suffocatingly tight grips on thin pens. Life is too short to force one's self to write with bad pens.

At a later date I would definitely add a 149 in platinum trim to the collection, and it is pleasing to hear that you enjoy your 149s. At present my intention is more inclined towards procuring a second HS Crystal since I have no pen like it in my collection and for the meantime I am a bit tired of seeing black cigars and demonstrators. I hope that when I do eventually get that 149, it is perfect, since my 146 has been nothing but a frustration with both its nib and piston being problematic. Eventually also will come the Namiki and the Nakaya, but in which order, who knows?

Also, I hope you enjoy your new 149 90th Anniversary. It is a nice pen. I bought the 146 90th Anniversary two years ago, but to this day it has never been inked. I gave it as a gift, but unfortunately its recipient has little occasion to use it and so it sits in its box. Hopefully, one of these days...

I have returned and offloaded so many pens in my quest to devise a collection of no more than 10 pens that fit my hand and are comfortable to write with. So far I am sitting at 8 different models which as you say make me want to write (not counting duplicates). Namiki's would definitely be a purchase if I were able to try one out to decide, but due to the lack of shops in the UK that stock the models I would be interested in, that is something I would only be able to try at a pen show in London if someone with them turns up.

If I had the money to buy a 149 new on a whim I would definitely buy a Platinum Line version, I love the Pt trim! The only reason I have both the 149 (1996) and 90th is because their prices were greatly reduced, with the 90th being in brand new condition 45% off in a licensed Montblanc reseller (no original box).

And thanks!! So far I have been enjoying tinkering around with it for odd notes and written doodles.

Edited by Merackon

Congrats on the HS Crystal Swirl! You definitely got one of the ones with a better looking pattern, IMO. Sorry to hear about the few things wrong with the pen, but glad to hear that overall it is serving you well! Can't wait to see your next birthday purchase, now :P

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Great review! I'm afraid I just don't like the pen, though. I have the bronze and and sterling silver models, and they're amazing pens, but to me the Crystal and Florentine Hills models are ridiculous. They're not ridiculous as pens—they are absolutely gorgeous pens—but Visconti should've just made a new model for those two models and their new materials, or fit them into another model line.

The original Homo Sapiens (bronze, steel, & sterling silver) have such a deep and meaningful design philosophy with the basaltic material. The Crystal and Florentine Hills models' acrylic doesn't have much to do with ancient or modern anything. Acrylic is what my taillights are made out of.

Had they made the two pens in another model line, I would have no issues with them. As I said, they're gorgeous. It's just that the acrylic models carry the Homo Sapiens name, but have nothing to do with the original ideas of what the first models represent. That's what sticks in my craw.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Great review! I'm afraid I just don't like the pen, though. I have the bronze and and sterling silver models, and they're amazing pens, but to me the Crystal and Florentine Hills models are ridiculous. They're not ridiculous as pens—they are absolutely gorgeous pens—but Visconti should've just made a new model for those two models and their new materials, or fit them into another model line.

The original Homo Sapiens (bronze, steel, & sterling silver) have such a deep and meaningful design philosophy with the basaltic material. The Crystal and Florentine Hills models' acrylic doesn't have much to do with ancient or modern anything. Acrylic is what my taillights are made out of.

Had they made the two pens in another model line, I would have no issues with them. As I said, they're gorgeous. It's just that the acrylic models carry the Homo Sapiens name, but have nothing to do with the original ideas of what the first models represent. That's what sticks in my craw.

Interesting you should say that, and I agree with you entirely. If it weren't for the fact that I like the looks of them so much I likely wouldn't have bought it based on the discrepancy between name and theme.

Great review as usual and I am glad that you are enjoying the pen. The defects that you illustrated are unacceptable in my opinion and too much widespread... I also got a clip with a faded letter in an expensive Divina Maxi. I cannot believe that Visconti is letting these slips ruin its reputation.

Edited by katanankes

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to write a review of this pen for a while and I will get to it once mine gets back to me from repair but you beat me to it and have made an excellent review of this pen, thank you!

I can't really see why everyone is so bothered by the naming scheme though. Alright, it's not made from basaltic lava but the shape is exactly the same and the body looks much nicer (my opinion of course). This is something that we see from all brands/models yet people have been so disturbed by the HS limited editions. Just weird.

Like everyone, I've had problems with ink getting caught between the inner and outer walls and it really depressed me. I have been in love with this pen from the moment I set my eyes on it and I have been using it regularly since I got it but this has got to be the only bad thing I can say about this pen. It also doesn't help that it cannot be cleaned. We'll see what Visconti made of it when I receive mine back in a couple of weeks. Since everyone had that problem it is definitely Visconti's fault but I found that the ink choice is also very important. Sadly my first ever fill with my Crystal was PR Electric DC Blue. Suffice it to say that that ink is never getting into any of my fancier pens again. I've had this problem with the Crystal and that ink also leaked out of various other pens. My point is, if you are using an extremely lubricated ink, there's a higher chance of it getting trapped between the walls.

I have also passed on the green one as it didn't have as much swirl on it but this week I got the London Fog (mesmerizing) and I might just have to get Florentine Hills to complete the set. I also would like to say that I haven't yet had a problem with the secondary reservoir yet and I hope it will remain that way.

Like everyone, I've had problems with ink getting caught between the inner and outer walls and it really depressed me. I have been in love with this pen from the moment I set my eyes on it and I have been using it regularly since I got it but this has got to be the only bad thing I can say about this pen. It also doesn't help that it cannot be cleaned. We'll see what Visconti made of it when I receive mine back in a couple of weeks. Since everyone had that problem it is definitely Visconti's fault but I found that the ink choice is also very important. Sadly my first ever fill with my Crystal was PR Electric DC Blue. Suffice it to say that that ink is never getting into any of my fancier pens again. I've had this problem with the Crystal and that ink also leaked out of various other pens. My point is, if you are using an extremely lubricated ink, there's a higher chance of it getting trapped between the walls.

The ink trap happened to my WSLE using Waterman serenity blue. After cleaning the pen I let it sit uncapped for a week and most of the ink has evaporated. Still really frustrating. Did Visconti offer to fix it or advice on how to do so?

I've been meaning to write a review of this pen for a while and I will get to it once mine gets back to me from repair but you beat me to it and have made an excellent review of this pen, thank you!

I can't really see why everyone is so bothered by the naming scheme though. Alright, it's not made from basaltic lava but the shape is exactly the same and the body looks much nicer (my opinion of course). This is something that we see from all brands/models yet people have been so disturbed by the HS limited editions. Just weird.

I have also passed on the green one as it didn't have as much swirl on it but this week I got the London Fog (mesmerizing) and I might just have to get Florentine Hills to complete the set. I also would like to say that I haven't yet had a problem with the secondary reservoir yet and I hope it will remain that way.

Could you post some photos of the patterning on the London Fog? I am currently at a bit of a quandary whether to go with the LF or the Opera Master Demo. I would only go with the LF if the iridescence and chattoyance of the LF is as good as it is with the Crystal Swirls

• 2 months later...

Gorgeous pen and excellent review!

How are you liking the pen after several months of use?

I LOVE the Homo Sapiens model, and have all the lava versions, the Florentine Hills, and soon the London Fog. If I can find a HS Crystal, I'd add that too.

Thank you again for sharing your perspectives on a stunning pen.

• 3 weeks later...

Gorgeous pen and excellent review!

How are you liking the pen after several months of use?

I LOVE the Homo Sapiens model, and have all the lava versions, the Florentine Hills, and soon the London Fog. If I can find a HS Crystal, I'd add that too.

Thank you again for sharing your perspectives on a stunning pen.

I am enjoying using it often. The ink window issue is really starting to frustrate me however, and makes gauging whether or not there is any ink in the reservoir practically impossible with blues and blacks - the two colours I use the most when writing with this pen. Other than that it is bliss, the nib is sensitive to flow so I have to ensure that there is an open valve for it to really shine, but when it does, it is glorious. Really happy with it and carry it with me everywhere.