Conway Stewart 550 Dinkie Lever

EffyA

I just won and received a beautiful blue marbling dinkie set from eBay with minor cosmetic issues such as small dent or imprints at bottom of barrel, but not noticble and same for no to little brass on both pen and pencil that seems in great condition, my question is the about the ink filler lever, it is not broken or bent I think and has resistance (not stuck) to close and open,, it just slightly loose, like if I put the barrel upside down, the lever bottom that has the company logo imprint on it sticks out a bit (not a lot-but can get caught on something as doesn't stay firmly against the barrel). My first purchase of this brand and I'm in America, is it fixable and not a major issue? As I hope I don't have to return it but rather just get it simply repaired and hopefully not expensive too? And what fountain pen restoration company in America would you recommend? Thank you very much

post-128776-0-40417400-1462038201_thumb.png

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EffyA

• northlodge

• MikeW

• FOUR X FOUR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest. I would return it if that is an option.

A number of repairers will not work on the Dinky because it is fragile and the amount of space that you have to work on th lever inside the barrel is miniscule.

A lot of Dinkies are in as new condition because the levers have failed from new and the pen has been put away and forgotten. I know of an English repairer who will fix the Dinky but, economically, it is not going to be worthwhile.

I probably would've considered a return, but it would probably cost over 35 dollars to ship back to the Netherlands from America if I can have tracking on it because it is scary to not know whether it arrived or not as well lose out on the cost I paid for it (I paid 74 with shipping), I do know the pen can write well and the sac has been replaced, and the lever isn't floppy, broken, or bent as it can spring close and open as usual levers do, and doesn't get stuck( just the above issue in my earlier post) . I guess the key is being careful with this one and have it as a collection that doesn't require much carrying and perhaps consider other Stewart sizes in the future- what sizes are best to obtain when it comes to the Conway brand?

If you like the pen and will use it then why not invest in repairing it? Just a thought thanks,

Post Script

I was considering that as I think it is a nice looking set, just didn't know where to go to in the United States as well as hope it won't be too cost prohibitive as I hope if anyone is familiar with this brand can assure that it doesn't appear too much work is needed, or damaged and if repair is possible?

This is my first time or purchase with this brand

Why is it that girls always have cleaner finger nails than boys?😃

Ha ha! I don't think my hands or nails were clean there, probably should've put on lotion as well. But I would say maybe men or boys like getting their hands dirty more perhaps :)

For those interested, here is the completed listing - https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/301925048764

I suspect the repair is not difficult but for the reasons noted regarding the size, etc... of the Dinkie.

The seller appears to be a reasonably reputable one - I would contact him and explain the problem as well as the cost of the return to see if a reasonable resolution can be obtained. For example, he might be willing to share in the return shipping costs or simply pay you an amount of money for a repair. It does not hurt to at least ask. Perhaps he has another similar Dinkie set that he would exchange for this one in lieu of providing a refund. If that does not work, you can file a claim with eBay, and include an explanation of the cost-benefit of a return.

If you paid using a credit card, whether using PayPal or otherwise, you might also investigate whether a refund is available for damaged goods, etc.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

The repairer has probably fitted too small a sac. Many Conways do not have a 'J' bar but a bar that is only attached to the lever, which relies on the reinflating sac to push the bar and lever back (and suck up the ink). If the sac is too narrow there will be a degree of slackness when the sac has returned to its full size.

Edited by peterg

I've just checked all my CS Dinkie 550 and all have loose levers to some degree it seems to be a design fault. They don't hold enough ink to be a carry pen so the lever has never been a problem. If I use 1 as a hand bag pen I have a CS case that holds pen and pencil. Mine are original but someone is selling CS repros on E Bay at the moment. They are made by CS for the modern Dinkie. I bought 1 to compare with original. It seems well made but is missing the mirror of the original. The case solves the problem of the lever catching and spilling ink.

Pm me if you want the name of a restorer in the us that will do this well and quickly.

"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."

-Artemus Ward

I think Peterg may have hit the nail on the head in suggesting the ink sac is the wrong size.

The other likely cause is the J bar. This Dinkie does use a J bar rather than the floating bar in many CS models, and in my experience the modern replacements do not fit particularly well, so exaggerate the loose issue. Replacing with an original NOS j bar would improve matters.

I do not really agree with Beechwood on repairing these pens, removal of the J bar is not difficult, indeed the smaller size can in my experience make matters easier.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry for responding back so late as work has kept me busy and yes I did let the seller know that I wanted to keep as the set is so beautiful and I did ink the pen after, it writes so beautifully and flex nib! I do believe as others pointed out, the lever isn't very loose or broken as can snap or close in place, etc.. and I do think it is the sac that could be wrong in sizing or as someone else stated the same looseness in his pens of same model, but not broken again. Thank you all

Edited by EffyA

Pm me if you want the name of a restorer in the us that will do this well and quickly.

I tried to message you but wouldn't allow me, yes I would be interested in this person information, thank you

I would email Danny Fudge of thewritepen.net

He does fantastic work and has repaired both my CS Excecutive 60 and Waterman Stalwart. Reasonable turn around time and more than fair pricing.

• 1 year later...

A very interesting topic as I now realise that my mother had a C S Dinkie fountain pen & propelling pencil set in a pale blue shade when she was in her last school. When we started to do 'proper writing' we were introduced to the likes of fountain pens. Mother wanted to give me the Dinkie pen. Alas the rubber sac was perished & we didn't know that it could have been repaired. I have no idea what happened to the pen.

It was suggested that the overhaul of a long unused pen might get expensive.

I was toying with the idea of surprising her by finding another Dinkie pen of the same colour.

I wonder if it might not be worth it if the pen is difficult & therefore expensive to repair.

A very interesting topic as I now realise that my mother had a C S Dinkie fountain pen & propelling pencil set in a pale blue shade when she was in her last school. When we started to do 'proper writing' we were introduced to the likes of fountain pens. Mother wanted to give me the Dinkie pen. Alas the rubber sac was perished & we didn't know that it could have been repaired. I have no idea what happened to the pen.

It was suggested that the overhaul of a long unused pen might get expensive.

I was toying with the idea of surprising her by finding another Dinkie pen of the same colour.

I wonder if it might not be worth it if the pen is difficult & therefore expensive to repair.

The dinkie is not a difficult and expensive pen to repair, indeed so long as it is fundamentally sound and undamaged it is a straight forward service / restoration project.

The cost increases if to want new replacement metal furnishings, or if the barrel is warped, or the nib is damaged.

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents worth of opinion -

Slightly loose levers happen. Just keep the pen and enjoy it. It won't hurt anything.