Jowo Nib For Eco

DocFP

Hi guys!

I have an ECO EF but would like to fit it with an xxf. FPnibs sells and grinds jowo steel stock #5 nibs, but they don't know if it fits the ECO.... I think it does, but has anyone tried to fit a stock jowo nib on the ECO?

Tks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• MediaVita

• wascallyrabbit

• DocFP

DocFP, I wanted to answer to this post earlier, I just did not have the time to do so soon, I apologize.

Like yourself, I also have a TWSBI Eco demontrator pen which I bought with an EF nib. It wrote too extra fine for my liking, in retrospect, if I was to buy a new TWSBI Eco, I would get it with a F nib. So I found a MF nib from a Baoer 79 starwalker that I did not use, and put it in my Eco and it wrote superb.

Similar to your thinking, I went ahead and ordered, among other things, a #5 M Jowo nib from FPnibs. I had the nib ground to a stub and FPnibs was kind enough to have the nib engraved for me with my initial at no additional cost.

However, this Jowo nib does not fit my TWSBI Eco. To be exact, it fits but it is too loose in the pen section, so it is not comfortable to write with. It can be made snug only if I insert a thin metal shim between the nib and the section which I tried only temporarily and it worked but it is not the most secure and esthetic solution.

I do not know why this nib won't fit precisely my TWSBI Eco. Perhaps my Eco, which I bought around 5-6 months ago came with a #5 Bock nib, and there is a slight discrepancy between the Jowo and Bock #5 nibs. I am in the process of ordering a #5 nib from BeaufortInk, which is the bock representative in the UK, and once I receive it, I will let you know how this fits.

In the meantime, my TWSBI EF nib rests in one of my drawers, I need to dare and learn how to modify it to increase its wetness to be able to put it to use again in my pen. Any feedback about how to do this is mostly welcome.

It seems though that I am just too happy with the Baoer 79 nib in my Eco, which by the way is such an exceptional pen. I believe this pen is going to be such a super-seller as the Lamy Safari has been.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/5168E2BF-8B74-4B72-8487-2A14C6CA84C3_zpst2bx65jf.jpgFig 1. Upper (from top to bottom): Writing samples with my demonstrator TWSBI Eco with the original TWSBI EF nib, the Baoer 79 FM nib and the FPnibs M stub Jowo nib . Unfortunately the Jowo nib was not secured snugly in the section of the pen, on the contrary it was quite loose. Lower left: My TWSBI Eco retrofitted with the Baoer MF nib is a superb writer. Lower Right:: Close-up of the engraved with my initial Jowo M stub nib from FPnibs, Spain.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/8A1A38FE-1AC3-4E96-99B1-4B3AE7DEE574_zpsorvzdrco.jpg

Fig 2. Photograph of my TWSBI Eco with the Baoer 79 F-M nib, inked in a home-made teal ink that shows so nice in the transparent barrel of the pen, it is awesome. Actually I find this teal ink and the violet ink look the nicest with this demonstrator pen according to my preference. Pictured below is a Jinhao 163 blue pen retrofitted with the M Stub Jowo nib from FPnibs.

Regards,
Photios

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

@Frank66 and others, the TWSBI Eco nib is definitely made by JoWo, but is designed to TWSBI's own specifications - it is not a standard #5 size. If you compare a Diamond 580 nib (which I believe is *closer* to standard JoWo #5) with a Diamond Mini, Vac Mini, or Eco nib, you'll find that the latter 3 all have a narrower "wingspan" than the former.

I've heard the Eco nib described as a #4 nib, but I think that's a little misleading - my understanding is that it fits on the same diameter feed as the 580 nib (i.e. a 5mm diameter), but is narrower and more 'snug'. This also helps (maybe?) to explain why removing a Diamond Mini nib from its housing is so much harder - you're much more likely to damage the fins on the underside of the feed, compared to a 580.

One other thing, while I think of it: FPnibs also sell steel nib units that are designed to screw in to the Diamond Mini body (they'll also fit the Vac Mini, at a pinch). I tried removing one of these nibs and transplanting it into my Eco. No joy: like the #5 nib Photios describes, it wasn't a good fit, and just wobbled around in the feed. I'm hesitant, though, to buy a US$70 gold nib from FPnibs to fit onto a US$30 pen! [i did this for one of my 580s, though, and it's magnificent!]

• 3 weeks later...

I am pleased to report that I made an error in my previous posting: I contacted Esther from FPNibs regarding my difficulties getting nibs I'd purchased from them to fit in my Eco pens, and they encouraged me to try again.

I don't know what I did wrong last time around - did I try to swap the feeds over as well? Or did I just not try and re-seat the nib and feed firmly enough? Whatever the story, the stainless steel "Nib for TWSBI Mini" from www.fpnibs.com is a perfect fit in the Eco.

I purchased these two nibs several weeks ago - paying about US$9.50 for the nibs, then maybe $5 to have one of them ground to a cursive italic, and ~$10 for the other to be ground to an architect nib. These are amazing prices for the service - and from memory, the postage from Spain to Australia wasn't a significant additional cost.

Here's a picture of the two nibs, snugly ensconced in my two Ecos:

post-108160-0-69550800-1464185133_thumb.jpg

You can, of course, just buy the nibs themselves (the feeds will screw in to a Diamond Mini and even, at a pinch, the Vac Mini) - or you can pay the extra for a custom grind. I'm very impressed with these nibs, and can gladly recommend them!

[/

I am pleased to report that I made an error in my previous posting: I contacted Esther from FPNibs regarding my difficulties getting nibs I'd purchased from them to fit in my Eco pens, and they encouraged me to try again.

I don't know what I did wrong last time around - did I try to swap the feeds over as well? Or did I just not try and re-seat the nib and feed firmly enough? Whatever the story, the stainless steel "Nib for TWSBI Mini" from www.fpnibs.com is a perfect fit in the Eco.

I purchased these two nibs several weeks ago - paying about US$9.50 for the nibs, then maybe $5 to have one of them ground to a cursive italic, and ~$10 for the other to be ground to an architect nib. These are amazing prices for the service - and from memory, the postage from Spain to Australia wasn't a significant additional cost.

Here's a picture of the two nibs, snugly ensconced in my two Ecos:

attachicon.gif2016-05-26 00.00.06.jpg

You can, of course, just buy the nibs themselves (the feeds will screw in to a Diamond Mini and even, at a pinch, the Vac Mini) - or you can pay the extra for a custom grind. I'm very impressed with these nibs, and can gladly recommend them!

Great pics! I was just thinking about buying a JoWo 5 nib in fpnibs. I sent an email to them asking if the 5 fits the Eco. And I found the answer here. And that rhutenium plating looks great, it's exactly the nib I want: architect rhutenium plated. Edited by MediaVita

[/

Great pics! I was just thinking about buying a JoWo 5 nib in fpnibs. I sent an email to them asking if the 5 fits the Eco. And I found the answer here. And that rhutenium plating looks great, it's exactly the nib I want: architect rhutenium plated.

This was my 3rd architect nib, and definitely the best of the bunch. I'd recommend either (1) measuring the angle between pen and paper when writing normally, or (2) taking a picture of your normal pen grip and emailing to them. Unlike your regular round or stub nib, the grind of the architect nib needs to take *your* writing angle into account, as it needs to be held against the paper at a precise up-down angle! Pablo and Esther were very helpful in getting this sorted out.

Some side and and front on shots of the architect nib - with apologies for the lack of focus...

post-108160-0-23433800-1464313251.jpg

post-108160-0-13374600-1464313284.jpg

Some side and and front on shots of the architect nib - with apologies for the lack of focus...

post-108160-0-23433800-1464313251.jpg

post-108160-0-13374600-1464313284.jpg

Thanks for the pics! One doubt: which nib did you take? I've been taking a look a their web, but I could only find JOWO nibs #5 including the feeder. Do they fit the ECO? Or did you take a different one?

Thanks for the pics! One doubt: which nib did you take? I've been taking a look a their web, but I could only find JOWO nibs #5 including the feeder. Do they fit the ECO? Or did you take a different one?

If you check their website, you should find a link to nibs for TWSBI Mini (including feeder). There's a YouTube video about how to fit these into your Mini, but the nibs fit nicely in the Eco...

Edited by Jamerelbe

It's here!! Love the nib, rhutenium plated, architect grind from a broad. Maybe in the future I might buy one architect grinded from a medium. It's smooth, something I thought I couldn't get in this kind of nibs.

Thank you Jamereibe for your pictures here and your help.

post-121524-0-30435300-1464861480_thumb.jpeg

post-121524-0-56524800-1464861497_thumb.jpeg

It's here!! Love the nib, rhutenium plated, architect grind from a broad. Maybe in the future I might buy one architect grinded from a medium. It's smooth, something I thought I couldn't get in this kind of nibs.

Thank you Jamereibe for your pictures here and your help.

My pleasure - I've been really pleased with mine too. I have another architect nib (for a Diamond 580), ground for me by Sunny Koh of the Straits Pen Company. It's also pretty good, but a little less forgiving if I don't hold it at precisely the right angle. Props to Pablo of FPnibs, though, I sent him a photo of my normal grip, he made the measurement from there, and days later I had an amazing nib in my hand (OK, on my pen...).

• 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I got a Franklin-Christoph SIG nib and put it into my eco. It was too loose, so I flattened out the base of the nib a tiny bit to get it to fit better into the section. It writes great to start, but after a while the capillary action is broken and the ink flow completely stops.

I can re-prime the feed or dip it to get the flow going again. It appears that there might be a gap between the ink channel top of the feed and the underside of the nib. Any way I can close out that gap? I really like writing with this nib, and I don't like the Medium TSBI nib, so It would be great if I can fix this annoyance.

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I got a Franklin-Christoph SIG nib and put it into my eco. It was too loose, so I flattened out the base of the nib a tiny bit to get it to fit better into the section. It writes great to start, but after a while the capillary action is broken and the ink flow completely stops.

I can re-prime the feed or dip it to get the flow going again. It appears that there might be a gap between the ink channel top of the feed and the underside of the nib. Any way I can close out that gap? I really like writing with this nib, and I don't like the Medium TSBI nib, so It would be great if I can fix this annoyance.

The TWSBI Eco (and Diamond Mini / Vac Mini / Classic) nib is custom-made by JoWo for TWSBI as a client, and you've rightly identified that the curvature is a little different. Fpnibs.com used to adjust the standard JoWo #5 nibs to fit the Eco (by altering the curvature I think), but found the results to be inconsistent. If someone with Pablo's skills can't guarantee a good result from this kind of nib adjustment, I'm not surprised that you're having trouble with it (I personally wouldn't be game to try it!).

Fpnibs.com *do* now sell TWSBI nibs, which they're happy to custom grind to your specification for a (very reasonable) additional price - and I wonder whether that might be a better way to go, especially if you can find another home for your F-C nib. I acknowledge it's an additional expense, though...