Asa Rainbow ....a Review..of Sorts.

Ian the Jock

Ok, first of all, I don't really do reviews, however, sometimes needs must.....and this is one of those "sometimes".

This will be more of a "experience of the pen" type review, rather than the "weights & measures" type, therefore there may be a fair bit of waffle involved.

The Pen.

The pen is an ASA Rainbow in cherry and black swirl acrylic, with a flat top and bottom, and a broad Schmidt nib and converter.

The Story.

A good many moons ago, Vaibhav Mehandiratta posted a pic of one of these pens, albeit with a round top and bottom and in eyedropper form, and I had to have one, especially when he stated that a c/c version was in the pipeline.

Anyway, when the kids asked what I would like for Christmas, the opportunity arose, for me to get my mitts on one of these gorgeous looking pens.

The order was placed, and the pen duly arrived (at least a week earlier than expected) I wasn't expecting an India to Glasgow old merchant trade route type timescale, but It still arrived very promptly.

At the "Opening ceremony" in the kitchen, there were a number of interested spectators.

The kids (who wanted to see what they had bought me)

and

The Wife (who made out she wasn't really interested, but was jockeying for a good view)

When I brought the pen out of it's little velvety bag, the gathered throng oooh'd and aaah'd, with comments from the younglings, ranging from "wow, that's gorgeous" to " How cool is that"?, only to be outdone by She who must be obeyed who surprisingly stated that the pen was "really nice" and that it looked "very fancy".

I was suitably impressed with the responses that the pen had received, however, I was quickly brought back down to earth when "she" asked "So what does it do that all of your other pens don't do?" :glare:

I just gave her the look that requires no words, put my pen back in its' wee bag, and switched the kettle on.

I then made myself a big mug of my other favourite Indian export, Assam tea, and took my tea and my new pen upstairs away from any further catty comments.

I took the pen out again, and had a good old explore.

The acrylic is gorgeous, the perfect colour combination for me, being a black and red kinda guy, and the swirling is magical. It has a kind of "fluid" look about it, in fact, BobJPage described it as reminding him of a 70s lava lamp, which is a good shout, and made me smile.

Anyway, I inked it up with diamine onyx black, and set about putting it through its' paces.

Break for Tea (photo interlude)

fpn_1461937157__rainbow_12.jpg

fpn_1461937220__rainbow_3.jpg

fpn_1461937257__rainbow_9.jpg

Although a pretty decent sized pen, it is light, weighing only 23 grams, and as I use all of my pens posted, it does cut an imposing figure in hand.

I have seen the Rainbow described on the Indian forum as a “small” pen which surprises me, as it is comparable in size (or even slightly bigger all round) to my Kaigelu 316, and Delta Journal, which are by no means small pens, unless of course you have hands like shovels.

The first thing that struck me about the Schmidt nib when I put pen to paper, was just how springy it was, ….then, how wet it was.

It is a broad nib, so big broad wet lines all round.

I will admit, that the springiness did take me a wee while to get used to, but the pen writes beautifully.

A bit of variation can be achieved due to the aforementioned springiness, but the extra ink laid down can take a good old while to dry.

I have now been using this pen regularly for a few months, and it is an absolute joy to use, no hard starts, no skipping, nothing, and when just sitting in the rack it looks fantastic beside my other pens.

fpn_1461937357__rainbow_writing.jpg

fpn_1461937405__rainbow_10.jpg

I fully appreciate that the pens’ “boldness” doesn’t butter everyones’ parsnips, but I love it, and when it all comes down to it, value for money wise, it is astounding value.

When I hold, or look at this pen, I think of Mr Subramaniam toiling away in his Chennai workshop, making this pen, just for me, to my spec and in my colours and shape, and that makes it far more special than any run of the mill mass produced pen.

Mr S. is knocking out custom hand made pens for prices that cost less than many mainstream manufacturers “low end” pens, and for that, I doff my cap in his direction, and express my gratitutude, as after all, hand made pens have been well beyond the reach of many of us until now.

But I’ve got one, and I LOVE IT.

I suppose I should reveal how much this hand made piece of functioning art cost me, and I shall………£33.40 including shipping to Scotland, and, yes, you did read it right, Thirty three pounds and 40 pence including shipping.

If you like the looks, you have to admit, at that price, in fact, even at a far higher price, the Asa Rainbow is a “no brainer”.

End of waffle

More pics.

fpn_1461937504__rainbow_new.jpg

fpn_1461937544__rainbow_1.jpg

Cheers

Ian

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Prithwijit

• Cyber6

• drvishal

I was suitably impressed with the responses that the pen had received, however, I was quickly brought back down to earth when "she" asked "So what does it do that all of your other pens don't do?" :glare:

ROFLOL... http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif ... Oh I know how that feels... I get remarks like that from my two girls (daughters 16 and 20) ... :roller1:

Congrats on your pen... I also got one from Mr Subramaniam, shut forgot the name.. "The Bauhaus", a lovely ebonite pen.

Enjoy!!!!

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Being the recipient of many of Asa's offerings, usually ED as that somehow hits the spot for me, I will admit to two Rainbow EDs, one turquoise blue one red rippled, round ends, with I think Ambitious F nibs, that are also gorgeous nicely wet writers. Yours is a very handsome example of the other shape of the Rainbow. And yes, compared to most other Asa offerings, they are small pens... even if they don't exactly feel small! Enjoy!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Well, I, for one, consider this a review. And one well done with an enjoyable perspective and style.

I am not familiar with ASA pens. You have given me something to explore and I am sure I shall have some pleasant discoveries ahead. Thank you.

Ian,

I pity the fool who tries to come between your pen, your tea cup, and the chance to read this spicy review. Your photographs capture the pen's surface texture and the translucency of the red parts of the resin, and also the threads for the cap, which look well machined. The springiness of the Schmidt nib unit is interesting -- I hadn't heard that or experienced that yet -- and your writing sample really shows off some of the line variation. Cool majuscule letter A's, by the way. In addition to looking like a lava lamp from the 1970s, your ASA Rainbow shows off a serpentine, cobra-like vibe, which probably makes sense for a pen from Tamil Nadu. The reactions of your spouse sound familiar, though I must say that the spouses of pen people tend to be remarkably indulgent.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I have bought two ASA pens in the last couple of months and I love both of them. Thanks for the review, now I know what to consider for the next one. The quality and craftsmanship you get for the price is really amazing.

ha ha ha...

I can co-relate to the look and question your wife asked....

I am always asked a question now and then... Also I have the same reaction... getting indulged in other work and try not to talk about pen...

BTW beautiful pics and I have recently got one pen upgraded to Schmidt nib... that I showed earlier which was ED....

And yes amazing review.... I read every word of it.... thank you for sharing your experience...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

I am astounded at the quality of the workmanship, it really is a beautifully made pen.

As Bob well knows, there is another piece of functioning art from Mr S. in the pipeline, and it will no doubt be just one of many which will follow.

I still can't get over the Rainbow being "a small pen" :lol: goodness knows what a big Indian pen would look like. :yikes:

I guess I'll just need to get one or two and find out.

CHEERS

Ian

His catalogue of pens has some really beautiful ones...

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

I am astounded at the quality of the workmanship, it really is a beautifully made pen.

As Bob well knows, there is another piece of functioning art from Mr S. in the pipeline, and it will no doubt be just one of many which will follow.

I still can't get over the Rainbow being "a small pen" :lol: goodness knows what a big Indian pen would look like. :yikes:

I guess I'll just need to get one or two and find out.

CHEERS

Ian

Hi Ian,

This is a truly amazing and hilarious review. A fantastic piece of writing to review a truly fantastic writing instruments.

It seems you and I have similar taste in rainbows. So hopefully the picture below with help you get a comparative understanding where the Rainbow stands vis-s-vis its behemoth cousins.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Misc%20FPN%20Stuff/photo458947694467067170_zpskzhh2nsb.jpg

From Left to Right: ASA Rainbow, ASA Galactic, ASA Himalaya, ASA Heritage, ASA Porus

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Whooaaah! Those are huge.

They must hold about a gallon of ink. LOL.

I'd imagine, they can only be used un-posted, otherwise they'd blot out the light to the page. They're massive.

Now I know why the Rainbow is regarded as a small pen.

Compared to these, most pens would appear small.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I am a stickler for CC pens and have Schmidt K5 converters in each of them other than the ASA Galactic. So despite the size difference, all of them except the Galactic have exactly the same ink capacity for my usage. All of these are 3-1 pens however and once used as ED's the ink capacity naturally magnifies.

I dare not try to use the large pens as posted. However, except the Porus, all of these can be posted if you so wish.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma