Favorite Black?

carbonheliumnitrogen

I am looking for a black ink for use on a variety of paper types/quality (I am a student). I'd prefer the ink to be non-feathering and somewhat waterproof, but those aren't necessary. Also, I am on a budget, so I'm not looking to spend above, say, $15.

Suggestions?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UDog

• senzen

• Runnin_Ute

• bonsaiboy

Aurora Black is a nice and very dark black ink not waterproof. Hero 232 Blue Black is an iron gall ink that is waterproof and, like all IG inks, doesn't feather much. It is very inexpensive and worth a try even though it is blue-black.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Only one of the two I have is available commercially. Noodler's Black. I don't use a lot of black, I have had this bottle for over 2 years and it is barely to the bottom of the neck of the bottle. Which means I have used maybe 5 ml or so.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Noodler's Dark Matter meets your requirements and has a great backstory.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

My top 3:

Pilot take-sumi (maybe a little over your budget)

Sailor Kiwa-Guro - easily my favorite performing black ink

Aurora Black - My favorite color of black ink, almost velvety.

I tend to think pilot iroshuzuku is sort of the best of both worlds in a way but each toned down. Take-Sumi isn't a rich black but is blacker than kiwa-guro. The performance isn't quite as amazing as kiwa-guro however it has a decent dry time and fairly low feathering with decent lunrication.

It all depends on what you want really. If color matters more, id go with aurora black. If no feathering and permanence matters to you, id go with sailor kiwa-guro. If you can't decide, id pick up a bottle of iroshuzuku take-sumi.

Despite being an ink frowned upon, I find myself quite happy with Parker Quink Black. It dries quickly, does not feather due to the low amount of dye and it is highlighter resistant

Aurora Black, Noodler's Ink Black, Noodler's Ink Heart of Darkness, and Waterman Black are my recommendations, in that order.

My top 3:

Pilot take-sumi (maybe a little over your budget)

Sailor Kiwa-Guro - easily my favorite performing black ink

Aurora Black - My favorite color of black ink, almost velvety.

I tend to think pilot iroshuzuku is sort of the best of both worlds in a way but each toned down. Take-Sumi isn't a rich black but is blacker than kiwa-guro. The performance isn't quite as amazing as kiwa-guro however it has a decent dry time and fairly low feathering with decent lunrication.

It all depends on what you want really. If color matters more, id go with aurora black. If no feathering and permanence matters to you, id go with sailor kiwa-guro. If you can't decide, id pick up a bottle of iroshuzuku take-sumi.

+1

Couldn't agree more.

Noodler's Black. It's my favorite black ink -- "bulletproof" and hasn't feathered on any papers I've used it on (a variety of papers, including cheap -- haven't tried it on newsprint, though). Costs $12.50.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Noodler's X-Feather is my absolute favorite black ink. It is very saturated, doesn't feather, and it the blackest black I've found.

Noodler's Black is probably your best bet. Pelikan 4001 Brilliant black would be the next best choice. It's not totally water proof, but it does boast a reasonable level of water resistance. A little spill of water won't totally wash away your work.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

I have used only a small number of black inks. Of those, my favorite is Noodler's Heart of Darkness. It has behaved well for me.

Noodler's Black meets your criteria. You didn't mention the pen, but if it has a fine or extra-fine nib, a bottle of NB should last a long time.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

My favorite black is Caran d'Ache Carbon from Colors of Earth series. This one is hard to get and out of your budget. The next one is J. Herbin Perle Noire, it can fit your budget, and if waterproofness matters than I have good experience with Platinum Carbon Black. Don't have Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

If Noodler's is available to you I would select one of the blacks mentioned. Read the reviews for extra info. I'm also fond of Waterman Blue/black or even Black. Not exciting colors but work well, and won't mess your pen.

The other factor mentioned was the size of your nib. To make a pen full of ink last longest and to reduce feathering a fine, Xfine or even XXfine best. I've found Pilot nibs to be very smooth in even Xfine There are ways to take a Pilot nib from an inexpensive model and put in a more pleasing body. The Pilot Penmanship comes with an extra fine nib and is a great writer but you might not want to use in school as it has no clip. I'd consider putting the nib in a different Pilot body.

Back to inks. Noodler's inks are very saturated so they can usually be diluted 10-20+% without issues. Diluted inks often feather less.

I just got Perle Noire, it's stunning, a pure black; it had been years since I'd used a black, mostly Quink and waterman, since they came out grey; of course now I know it depends on the pen and the paper. Strangely it comes out thicker than other inks from a Muji with an F nib. I seldom notice the flow, this is markedly nice.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell