Montblanc Peggy Guggenheim Patron Of Art 2016 Le

wimg

Dearest Members & Visitors of the Montblanc forum on FPN,

The latest Montblanc Patron of Arts LE has been released officially. Please find the text and official pictures below. Enjoy!

_________

Montblanc Patron of Art Edition – Peggy Guggenheim
A tribute to an eccentric supporter of modern art

As part of its ongoing commitment to actively engage in the promotion of arts and culture worldwide, Montblanc has recognized for over 25 years the invaluable contribution of modern day patrons of the arts in 17 countries, with its prestigious Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award. Every year, to coincide with the Award, a unique Limited Edition writing instrument inspired by a historical patron of the arts is commissioned to honour the contemporary ones.

Montblanc’s Patron of Art Edition 2016 pays tribute to the outstanding legacy of one of the most influential art collectors and exhibitors of 20th century art, Peggy Guggenheim, who dedicated most of her life to protecting the art of her time by discovering and nurturing new talent, while building an important collection of works housed today in a Venice museum that still carries her name. Born in 1898 in New York City, the niece of Solomon R. Guggenheim the eponymous founder of the Guggenheim Museum, left America for bohemian Paris where she was introduced to the avant-garde art scene by artist Marcel Duchamp. She became a supporter of many young abstract and surrealist artists whose works she showed in Europe and America, and is credited to have shaped the international careers of some of the 20th centuries most successful artists including Kandinsky, Pollock and Ernst. Montblanc pays tribute to the great 20th century champion of art with a Patron of Art Edition with design details inspired by her colourful life and her enduring legacy as one of the great patrons of her time.

Montblanc Patron of Art Peggy Guggenheim Limited Edition 81

fpn_1461627453__g-le81-s1.jpg

Limited to just 81 pieces as a reference to the age at which she passed away, the Montblanc Patron of Art Peggy Guggenheim Limited Edition 81 is a personal homage to her life from her arrival in Europe to her later life in Venice. Created in the Montblanc Artisan Atelier from the finest materials and shaped by highly skilled master craftsmen, the design of the writing instrument is inspired the art deco style that surrounded the collector as she arrived in Paris in the 1920s, with clean lines forming the straight shape of the cap, clip and barrel. Evoking her eye for great artists, the skeletonized Au750 solid champagne gold structure of the barrel mirrors the dramatic entrance gates to the Guggenheim Collection in Venice, created by the prolific modernist sculptor Claire Falkenstein.

fpn_1461627537__g-le81-s2.jpg

The web of expanding iron branches around pieces of Venetian glass has been masterfully recreated through the finest craftsmanship. The lion head clip design refers to the Lion of Saint Mark, symbol of the city where Peggy Guggenheim chose to house her collection, while the pattern on the cap ring recalls certain graphic details on the front of Guggenheim’s Venetian palazzo-museum. A red lacquer inlay spiral is inspired by the iconic striped mooring poles lining the canals of Venice. Crowning the cap, the Montblanc emblem is crafted in white marble, a choice of material that mirrors the palazzo’s distinctive marble façade. A reference to her very particular style, the skeleton champagne-gold cap with its black lacquer underlay captures her penchant for the zebra pattern she used generously throughout her palazzo. Symbol of her exuberant personality, the striking glasses she loved to wear are captured in a fine engraving on the handcrafted Au 750 gold nib.

fpn_1461627590__g-le81-s3.jpg

Montblanc Patron of Art Peggy Guggenheim Limited Edition 888

The art that Peggy Guggenheim discovered and promoted is the inspiration for the Montblanc Patron of Art Peggy Guggenheim Limited Edition 888, with a geometric art deco-inspired pattern adorning the red lacquered and ruthenium-coated cap and barrel.

fpn_1461627818__g-le888-s4.jpg

fpn_1461627669__g-le888-s1.jpg

The engravings of lion heads on the red gold cap ring are inspired by the exterior of the “Palazzo Venier dei Leoni”, Peggy’s home for 30 years richly decorated with this symbol of Venice. The cap ring has been embellished with a set of 10 garnets in the eyes of the lions,

fpn_1461627698__g-le888-s2.jpg

while the cone, designed like the red and white striped mooring pillars found on the Venice waterways in red gold and translucent red lacquer, features a brilliant cut diamond ring at its end. The Montblanc emblem in white marble crowns the art-inspired writing instrument.

fpn_1461627773__g-le888-s3.jpg

The paws engraved on the Au750 solid gold nib recall the special affection she accompanied her on her gondola trips down the Grand Canal, but were laid to rest next to their eccentric owner in the grounds of her palazzo.

fpn_1461627864__g-le888-s5.jpg

Montblanc Patron of Art Peggy Guggenheim Limited Edition 4810

The Montblanc Patron of Art Peggy Guggenheim Limited Edition 4810 features the geometric art deco design on a black lacquered and platinum-coated cap and barrel,

fpn_1461627957__g-le4810-s1.jpg

contrasting with the red and platinum-coated stripes on the cone of the writing instrument.

fpn_1461628054__g-le4810-s3.jpg

The platinum-coated ring is elegantly embossed with the lion heads associated with Peggy Guggenheim’s Venice, while the Montblanc emblem that crowns the fountain pen is made of traditional black and white resin.

fpn_1461627996__g-le4810-s2.jpg

Through the artistry of great craftsmanship, Montblanc shares the story of the woman who championed so many modern artists with passion and determination. Peggy Guggenheim’s contribution to cultural life is unquestionable, as she joins a small group of historic patrons to be honoured with a Montblanc Patron of Art Limited Edition, a writing instrument designed to coincide with the Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award, the unique prestigious cultural prize awarded since 1992 in 17 countries honouring today’s patrons who continue to allow the arts to flourish by selflessly committing financial resources, time and energy to cultural projects.

fpn_1461628126__g-le4810-s4.jpg

Each year an independent jury of eminent personalities selects and awards these global supporters of culture of our times. Past winners having included HRH The Prince of Wales, Queen Sofia of Spain and Yoko Ono, who were not only awarded with a reward to support their projects, but also presented with the latest Patron of Art Limited Edition, dedicated to one of the great historical patrons of world history such as the inimitable Peggy Guggenheim.

fpn_1461628163__g-le4810-s5.jpg

About Montblanc
From its early beginnings 110 years ago, Montblanc has strived to balance an unfaltering commitment to the traditions of fine craftsmanship with a passion for innovation to create products that deliver on both performance and design. The pioneering spirit that drove the Maison to revolutionize the culture of writing with new breakthrough innovations since 1906, continues to inspire Montblanc today as it constantly rewrites the rules of fine craftsmanship across each of its product categories: the pinnacle of luxury writing instruments, timepieces, leather goods, accessories, fragrances and sunglasses. In each of its manufactures, through the skills and dedication of its artisans, fine lifetime companions imbued with the Maison’s heritage of sophistication are crafted to the highest standards, making the iconic Montblanc Emblem the ultimate seal of performance, innovation, quality and timeless aesthetics. With its origins deeply rooted in the culture of handwriting, Montblanc has set an international standard of cultural commitment, with the creation of wide-ranging initiatives to promote arts and culture in many forms, while paying tribute to the modern day patrons who tirelessly support the advancement of the arts. By pushing boundaries and rethinking craftsmanship, Montblanc continues to write a long history of excellence and innovation.

_________

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Moderator and Admin team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• sny

• thygreyt

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ When I attended a Montblanc event on Saturday, 23 April, 2016, at the Beijing China World Trade Center boutique, the announced focus was on the Rouge et Noir series.

I went home with a Johann Strauss Donation Pen, which fit my large hand better than the Rouge et Noir pens.

At the same time, I was shown two of the Peggy Guggenheim Patron of Art pens, as shown below.

They're solid pens, with fine detailing. The repeated Venetian lion motif was especially appealing.

Tom K.

post-112103-0-05891600-1461648377_thumb.jpg

Peggy Guggenheim Patron of Art Pens

post-112103-0-07228700-1461648427_thumb.jpg

Red Pattern

post-112103-0-26982500-1461648469_thumb.jpg

Black Pattern

Our own HRH Prince Charles got this award in 2011. Small clip below gives details

As the winner of the Montblanc de la Culture Arts Patronage Award HRH Prince of Wales received €15,000 to donate to The Prince’s Drawing School; the arts project of his choice. In addition to this the award, he was presented with a limited edition Patron of the Arts Montblanc fountain pen specially designed and created for winners of the award. This year, the fountain pen was dedicated to Gaius Maecenas, a historical figure who is recognised as the very first patron of the arts.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I had the opportunity to handle the 4810 version. The design is stunning.

I noticed straight away that the pen weights less than other PoAs (for example: less than the Pavarotti or the Joseph II, comparable to the Steinway 4810).

Regards,

S.

I too like the black version. But the 81 limited series pen is so breathtaking. Must be a fortune to own one!

Thanks, Wim.

Balance is good in life, and my opinion should give this thread a bit of balance. These things are hideous, vulgar even. The first photo depicts what's not a pen but rather a hefty bauble that one can put ink into. And as usual with these collector-targeted pens, the section design is neglected.

Well, there it is. Heritage is "where it's at" in my book, bringing back designs that were actually used and made sense in the hand. But who am I to say? It's all in the eye of the beholder...and the payor.

Fred

Nothing about this design speaks to me, but variety is the spice of life. I hope those who like the pen can manage to procure one, use it and write a review.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks, Wim.

Balance is good in life, and my opinion should give this thread a bit of balance. These things are hideous, vulgar even. The first photo depicts what's not a pen but rather a hefty bauble that one can put ink into. And as usual with these collector-targeted pens, the section design is neglected.

Well, there it is. Heritage is "where it's at" in my book, bringing back designs that were actually used and made sense in the hand. But who am I to say? It's all in the eye of the beholder...and the payor.

Fred

It takes all kinds to make a world.

It is true that these pens aren't about functionality (form follows function) or simplicity. They are about mirroring something of the character they were inspired from, showing something uncommon and (of course) appealing to collectors or wealthy consumers.

Liberty is the key word here, people who don't like it are in no way obliged to buy it.

S.

Nothing about this design speaks to me, but variety is the spice of life. I hope those who like the pen can manage to procure one, use it and write a review.

That's two of us - as with the previously announced MB to me it's vulgar and my first thoughts on seeing the '81 was how to link it in to the Ugly Pen list.

Each to their own, but personally I think MB are heading rapidly in the wrong direction.

out of curiosity, what will the price be?

I am curious also about the price. If anyone knows, please share. If I have time this weekend I will stop by my local boutique and report back

I have handled the 81 version on two occasions and although the design does not attract me at all I am amazed by the craftsmanship of the web on the barrel. When you touch it it feels like the surface of a rope, kind of smooth and warm - although it is made of (rather cold) gold. Actually, you want to hold it in your palm and roll it around all the time - very special treatment to the material in my opinion.

Price in Europe is 31 KEuro I believe.

I have handled the 81 version on two occasions and although the design does not attract me at all I am amazed by the craftsmanship of the web on the barrel. When you touch it it feels like the surface of a rope, kind of smooth and warm - although it is made of (rather cold) gold. Actually, you want to hold it in your palm and roll it around all the time - very special treatment to the material in my opinion.

Price in Europe is 31 KEuro I believe.

I have held one, wearing special gloves :).

The craftsmanship with which these pens are made is truly uncanny...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever