• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Engineer

• corgicoupe

• ksm

• Bluey

Have a Pelikan m215 and 205 and F nibs on these pens are great.

TWSBI 530 & Mini in F size very comfortable, great width.

Pilot Kakuno M size, one of the best nibs I have used so far :)

My first Pilot Vanishing Point, ordered from a Japanese eBay seller, had one of the "special alloy" (presumably steel) nibs that they don't sell in the U.S. I cannot tell any difference in writing quality between it and an 18k nib of the same size (medium) in a Capless Decimo; they are both excellent.

Considering vintage pens, Esterbrook steel nibs can be excellent. My favorites include a 2668 and a 9788.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I have two Italix Captain's Commission pens with steel nibs, and they are both great, wet writers. I also have several Bexleys that are nice.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Franklin Christoph's steel nibs that have had the Michael Masuyama touch are mighty fine too!

Love the steel nibs on my Pelikan's. (M200, M150, 120 Merz & Krell)

Jowo makes some nice nibs. I have a couple - two on my TWSBI's and one of the Goulet branded ones in my Konrad. The steel nib on my True Writer Silver Anniversary is terrific. I believe the True Writer nibs are made by Schmidt.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have found that Jowo nibs have flow issues when used for extended writing.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

nibs ain't nibs...

what is a good nib? one that fulfils my expectations. yours are different.

if you want to know, why nibs behave the way they do, have a read of my article on nibs on my fountain pen magic website.

Then you can look at the shape of a nib and almost predict what characteristics it has.

sure, tipping is important, but when the best tipping is not combined with good setting, then the result is ... not that good.

Determining the characteristic of a nib is quite a marketing decision, there is a choice and the ingeneer can achieve what he is asked for. The ingeneers of any brand can do this, if they know what they do. In short, it is the shape, which determines the characteristics, not the brand.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

Interesting that this topic comes up the day after I purchase a pre-owned Diplomat Excellence A Roma Sapphire with a steel

M nib! Got it from Dromgoole's in Houston, my go-to for all things FP. I bought it for two reasons:(1) I didn't have a

Diplomat in my collection and (2) The nib was butter smooth! But, at that price point for a new one, it should be an

excellent nib no matter the material of composition. Same can be said for the DuPont Difi.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

In my experience, Pilot Lucina and Pilot Metropolitan with a nod to Platinum Preppy as well.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I recently got a Parker 51 Special with a steel nib. It is amazingly smooth. Now I know why everyone loves this pen.

My Caran d'Ache Ecridor nib is great and so are my Sheaffer steel nibs.

+1

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

My Pelikan P 205 has by far the most elastic nib of all my various fountain pens, especially in that price range, but never was especially smooth. My Faber-Castell Loom has a very smooth tip, but no flex at all (nail), and the metal grip section always feels slippery. I also have a Diplomat Traveller, an Esteem and an Excellence A with steel nib, and they are all nice and smooth.

My own current personal favourite and perhaps best name-brand value for its money is the Pelikan Stola III fountain pen, however. All metal, classy design, nice finish, flawless nib, plastic section nice to hold, if a bit short. All for under 20€. Cap can't be posted, though.

Edited by mhpr262

I'm glad Pelikan feature regularly in this list. I see an M205 in my future.

In the meantime an Italix (a brand I hadn't heard of before) Parsons Essential is on the way. I'm hoping it'll write well out of the box (which is useful for a beginner) as they are all supposedly worked on prior to being sold.

I routinely buy Goulet steel nibs to replace stock nibs. I love them. Never had a bad one. They're my goto nibs.

I really like my Pilot Ecrino's nib that I bought at a close-out sale some years ago. It was my first "premium" pen.The Lucina is its replacement and I think has a similar steel nib.

The best steel nib is one tuned to your writing standards. The right amount of feedback, the perfect sweet spot, the angle of your writing matching the tipping, and the flow of the ink makes all the difference.

Buzz