Parker 51 Or 61 ?

Mangrove Jack

I am at a loss to understand why the P61 is considered a slimmer (or occasionally a fatter) pen.

My perception was that the P61 was slimmer, until I actually measured a P61, P21S and a P51 with a micrometer.

The peak diameter on all was the same to closer than 0.1mm, and the differences could be attributed to wear or manufacturing variability.

Maybe it's due to the different curve on the pens and the different location of the maximum diameter from each end. But I still prefer the apparently 'slimmer' P61, even though it isn't actually slimmer in objective terms.

Regards,

Richard.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mangrove Jack

• mitto

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both are great pens but the problem is that while the 61 nibs are among the smoothest I've used, the plastic is is not at the same level as the 51.

I have several Parker 61's. They are very good writers, and fun to use. However, the "spring clutch" bars, that hold the cap to the barrel, have, over time, left distortion on the section. I have notice this on the Parker 45 and Parker 21, as well. I suspect that the plastic is lighter weight, and susceptible to deformation under pressure. The Parker 61 and 21 also have micro fissures in the section, that leave ink traces on the fingers. I have detected no such case in the Parker 51.

The others are utility. Eisenhower, Roosevelt, DeGaul, and my Dad chose the Parker 51. The P51 Aerometric system is more than the obvious squeeze bulb. There are innovations that we never see.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Sasha, thank you. I believe you are referring to the P51 MKI aero.

I think the Vac 51 was innovative too. I like pushing the plunger. I like to play with pens much more than to write with them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you all for your views, advice and suggestions. Much appreciated.

So here is what I have bought and look forward to receiving with eager anticipation.

Parker 51 MKI Aerometric.

post-120354-0-94887100-1461837208.jpg

Edited by Mangrove Jack

Have the best of both worlds - a 51 Mk3!

I am not an expert but I gather that the MKI is the preferred P51. Something to do with the inferior plastic used in the section of the MKIII and its capping system that pulls it down.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

For my first hooded nibbed pen, a Parker 61 would have been a cool step up from the Parker 45 that was my first hooded nib pen, and preferable over the 51 due to the ease of finding a cartridge based model, which was more important to me then than now.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I love the 61 and there are a few cool colours not available in the 51; but the 51 is a higher quality and more reliable pen. I get the impression the 61 is a pen for which Parker had great ambitions but which was never quite well enough engineered to achieve them - the arrow which always falls out, the plastic not quite as good. That said I have a few of each including the gold filled models. I see a lot more 61s with barrel cracks than I do 51s with that problem.

And as Richard says, if you're willing to do a little repair work or put up with a fault for a pen that's a good user/EDC, the 61 may well work out cheaper as there are more small problems like the missing arrow which can reduce your in price.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• 2 weeks later...

So this is the pen that I ended up getting. I used it for the first time a few days ago and it works very well. Very smooth.

Could someone please let me know roughly which year it was manufactured ?

and, is it normal to have that black plastic end on the squeeze filler ?

post-120354-0-38386500-1463245476_thumb.jpg

What does the inscription on the filler unit/sac guard says? See if it says press ribbed '6 times' or 'four times'? And yes, the black plastic end piece on the sac guard is normal.

The long arrow clip suggests the pen is from 1948/9 if in case the cap is original to the pen.

Khan M. Ilyas

What does the inscription on the filler unit/sac guard says? See if it says press ribbed '6 times' or 'four times'? And yes, the black plastic end piece on the sac guard is normal.

The long arrow clip suggests the pen is from 1948/9 if in case the cap is original to the pen.

Also, my understanding that if it says "Use Superchrome ink" on the sleeve it means that the pen is from before 1957.

The later pens (I have a Mk II from the early 1960s) don't have the black plastic. The MK IIIs are c/c pens, like Parker 45s.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

mitto and Ruth thanks.

This is what it say on the pen:

On the cap - only the word PARKER.

On the body - no letters/writing.

On the squeeze filler - PARKER "51", TO FILL PRESS RIBBED BAR FIRMLY 4 TIMES HOLDING PEN POINT DOWN, WIPE POINT WITH SOFT TISSUE.

Strangely, it does not say where the pen is made.

The body and section are burgundy, the cap is (I think) lustraloy with grey/green jewel.

From this information could you guess the year of manufacture ?

Also, my understanding that if it says "Use Superchrome ink" on the sleeve it means that the pen is from before 1957.

The later pens (I have a Mk II from the early 1960s) don't have the black plastic. The MK IIIs are c/c pens, like Parker 45s.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The MKIII are not C/C pens. These are aerometrics. There was a short run of MKI C/C 51S in late 50s.

The MKIII 61S, however, were C/C pens made in England.

Khan M. Ilyas

mitto and Ruth thanks.

This is what it say on the pen:

On the cap - only the word PARKER.

On the body - no letters/writing.

On the squeeze filler - PARKER "51", TO FILL PRESS RIBBED BAR FIRMLY 4 TIMES HOLDING PEN POINT DOWN, WIPE POINT WITH SOFT TISSUE.

Strangely, it does not say where the pen is made.

The body and section are burgundy, the cap is (I think) lustraloy with grey/green jewel.

From this information could you guess the year of manufacture ?

Ok, so it is an English 51. The England made 51 had no information neither about the ink to be used nor about the make/origin of the pen. Your pen likely was made in 1950 considering the long arrow clip. The English 51s ,most often, don't have the "press 6 times" instruction even on the first year (1950) pens.

Enjoy your beautiful English 51. Most probably it would have a juicy M or B nib with generous tipping material.

PS. Also look at the barrel below the clutch ring. Most probably it would have the Made In England and 50 as the date code.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Disclaimer: I've never used a 51, though I have two 61's and they beat my other pens by anlong shot. smooth, but not too smooth... just perfect. And filling a cap filler is the best, no mess to clean up!

Ok, so it is an English 51. The England made 51 had no information neither about the ink to be used nor about the make/origin of the pen. Your pen likely was made in 1950 considering the long arrow clip. The English 51s ,most often, don't have the "press 6 times" instruction even on the first year (1950) pens.

Enjoy your beautiful English 51. Most probably it would have a juicy M or B nib with generous tipping material.

PS. Also look at the barrel below the clutch ring. Most probably it would have the Made In England and 50 as the date code.

Khan, thank you. I checked the barrel below the clutch ring and there is nothing written there. Edited by Mangrove Jack