Parker 51 Or 61 ?

Mangrove Jack

If you had to chose one of the two to be your first hooded pen which would you pick ? P51 or P61 ?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mangrove Jack

• mitto

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 aero. My first hooded pen was actually a 61 cap filler because I got a decent deal for it. Still have never used it or the flighter I picked up later. My second was my first 51.

Aeros are pretty bulletproof. If you get one from a reliable source or do a decent visual sweep before buying, chances are good that you'll land one that will be perfectly functional with a good wipedown & a soak.

AAAAAAAK!

Never make a Libra have to make a spot decision. :wallbash:

Okay, my Plummer 51 Demi -- it's a user grade, but a great writer. But the capillary filler 61s I have are also really good pens.....

Ironically, the Vac Junior Red Shadow Wave has been in current rotation longer than either.... Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Pros of the 51: the Aeros are often pretty indestructible, and just work with just a good flushing out. That Parker sold something like 20 million of them says something right there. And I will put inks into mine that I would never consider for other vintage pens (hey, they were designed to be used with Parker Superchrome for pete's sake...). Cons: they're something of a pain to flush out completely; plus, it's easy to have pen roll issues in your hand, so sometimes you get off the sweet spot.

Pros of the 61: slightly bigger girth, and (hopefully) have the little arrow on the hood; the capillary fillers (if working) hold tons of ink and they're super easy to fill -- coolest fill system on the planet (even over Sheaffer Snorkels, and a lot less futzy). And I think they *might* bc convertible to C/C pens (although that would just make them a fat 45, IMO). Cons: even harder to completely flush than Aerometric 51s (because of the capillary filler), so you don't want to muck around with changing inks -- and there are inks that will never see the inside of mine because they're too saturated/cloggy; although I tend to just flush them enough to get them writing again and then do that repeatedly till the ink is so diluted as to become illegible.... Additionally, the hood arrows weren't designed to stay on very well.

And my first 61 was more expensive than even the Plummer.... Okay, I got a good deal on the 51, and my second 61 was half the price of the first one (that pesky missing arrow).

I could do the pros and cons of a Vac as well.... B) Okay: Pros are that they come in a whole dizzying range of sizes and colors, and are (IMO) generally prettier looking (and some people don't like hooded nibs for some reason); they can (sometimes) hold a huge amount of ink because it all goes into the barrel -- although it depends on the length of the tube. Cons: they are a MAJOR PITA to flush thoroughly; also, the celluloid is not as sturdy as the Lucite barrel on 51s (not sure what was used on 61s). And they are more likely to need repair work (or at least have the diaphragm replaced). And the odds are that the nib is going to be an F or EF because that's mostly what's out there.

Oh, and regardless of which pen you end up with (51, 61, or a Vac -- or, like me, multiples of each) the nibs are likely gonna be nails....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Without question, and a limited budget, a c/c P61.

The reason: shape, design refinement and nib quality all a bit better than the P51. Also, they have more problems (arrows falling out, thinner, less good plastic) so tend to be a bit cheaper.

Regards,

Richard.

I have several of both. The 51 wins hands down. The 61 was not one of Parker's greatest. Having said that, if you get a good one they are a competent pen. Of course YMMV.

Peter

I have several of both. The 51 wins hands down. The 61 was not one of Parker's greatest. Having said that, if you get a good one they are a competent pen. Of course YMMV.

I, 100%, agree.

Khan M. Ilyas

61 for me, and for much the same reasons as Richard.

My bias is well documented here and although the 51 is a damn good pen, they just don't have that certain 'something' which, for me, the 61 does.

Regards,

Frank

Edited by MancFrank

While I was trying to decide, I would buy a Parker 45, and then love it so much that I would forget what choice I was trying to make in the first place.

Cheers,

David.

While I was trying to decide, I would buy a Parker 45, and then love it so much that I would forget what choice I was trying to make in the first place.

Cheers,

David.

So much love for the 45 ! I too like the so-called lowly 45 but not on the cost of 51 or 61.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I have several models of 51 and 61 Parker Pens , both are nice pens. For a reason I can not explain I keep looking for more especially gold ones,They have the weight and performance that I like. One Gold Parker 61 is on my daily rotation.

AAAAAAAK!

Never make a Libra have to make a spot decision. :wallbash:

Okay, my Plummer 51 Demi -- it's a user grade, but a great writer. But the capillary filler 61s I have are also really good pens.....

Ironically, the Vac Junior Red Shadow Wave has been in current rotation longer than either.... Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Pros of the 51: the Aeros are often pretty indestructible, and just work with just a good flushing out. That Parker sold something like 20 million of them says something right there. And I will put inks into mine that I would never consider for other vintage pens (hey, they were designed to be used with Parker Superchrome for pete's sake...). Cons: they're something of a pain to flush out completely; plus, it's easy to have pen roll issues in your hand, so sometimes you get off the sweet spot.

Pros of the 61: slightly bigger girth, and (hopefully) have the little arrow on the hood; the capillary fillers (if working) hold tons of ink and they're super easy to fill -- coolest fill system on the planet (even over Sheaffer Snorkels, and a lot less futzy). And I think they *might* bc convertible to C/C pens (although that would just make them a fat 45, IMO). Cons: even harder to completely flush than Aerometric 51s (because of the capillary filler), so you don't want to muck around with changing inks -- and there are inks that will never see the inside of mine because they're too saturated/cloggy; although I tend to just flush them enough to get them writing again and then do that repeatedly till the ink is so diluted as to become illegible.... Additionally, the hood arrows weren't designed to stay on very well.

And my first 61 was more expensive than even the Plummer.... Okay, I got a good deal on the 51, and my second 61 was half the price of the first one (that pesky missing arrow).

I could do the pros and cons of a Vac as well.... B) Okay: Pros are that they come in a whole dizzying range of sizes and colors, and are (IMO) generally prettier looking (and some people don't like hooded nibs for some reason); they can (sometimes) hold a huge amount of ink because it all goes into the barrel -- although it depends on the length of the tube. Cons: they are a MAJOR PITA to flush thoroughly; also, the celluloid is not as sturdy as the Lucite barrel on 51s (not sure what was used on 61s). And they are more likely to need repair work (or at least have the diaphragm replaced). And the odds are that the nib is going to be an F or EF because that's mostly what's out there.

Oh, and regardless of which pen you end up with (51, 61, or a Vac -- or, like me, multiples of each) the nibs are likely gonna be nails....

Great dissertation. I also am a Libra, and I have used those pens as well. My decision, Parker 51, first time, every time, without a second thought.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

51 without a second thought,

but I think I would go for a 51 Vac ahead of the 51 Aero.

51 without a second thought,

but I think I would go for a 51 Vac ahead of the 51 Aero.

Yes, you have to leave the opening for the 51 Vac. They might not go for ever between resacs, but they do last a long time. They have their own beauty in their workings. I didn't find them hard to resac. The filling seems easier with a vac.

I never thought I would feel that way until I tried them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you all for your replies. Great information. All votes seem to be for the P51, except for Richard - I see your point Richard, thanks.

Now, where the P51 aero is concerned, it would be the MKI aero that is the preferred pen ? Correct ?

Cheers,

David.

I did that a few years ago. I still love them, but Now I need to move on. Edited by Mangrove Jack

Hi,

No-one has mentioned the Parker 21 Super yet!

It has a slightly narrow girth, closer to the Parker 61 & 45.

It has the easy to maintain aerometric ink management system.

Every time I hold a P21S in my warm welcoming grasp, I whisper, 'My dear, where have you been hiding?'

Bye,

S1

__ __

P21S vs P51 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/207576-parker-21-super-vs-parker-51/?p=2149842

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Nah, you're all wrong; the correct answer is both. Choose not to choose ;)

:lticaptd:

Yeah, basically what I said.... Just a lot more succinctly. ;)

Truthfully, there are pros and cons to any pen model and every type of fill system. It's whatever works best for you (and that may change with the weather).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."