I Can't Believe It...

fpupulin

Perhaps this is ultimately what Capitalism brings about: neither prosperity nor security for most people, but certainly a more boring, flattened, and homogeneous world (think Mont Blanc everywhere!) for everyone. What a world today!

I don't think it's capitalism per-se, but unfettered free trade and currency unions. Omas is but one of a much larger industry of small(er) European artisans that have been absolutely decimated in the last 20 years.

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mastiff

• mongrelnomad

• jameswatts

• fpupulin

I've heard some company shows interest in acquisition. Hope Omas continues their work, even in smaller size.

I've heard some company shows interest in acquisition. Hope Omas continues their work, even in smaller size.

Source please!

Too many pens; too little writing.

OMAS has been one of those pen companies that I wish was better. I have only four -- a 360 fountain pen and roller ball set, the design of which I LOVE, but which leaked like a sieve; a Tokyo, designed by Ettore Sottsass,,that I got on sale at Fahrney's lo these many moons ago, and that proved to be quite finicky; and a Paragon Milord with a broad nib that fits my hand perfectly, but the extra broad nib has such a bad case of baby's bottom that it is profoundly frustrating to write with.

I so wanted to love these pens -- and in some odd ways, I still do -- but they seemed determined to be vexing. And my Auroras, Viscontis, Deltas, and my lone Tibaldi/Giorgio Armani, are so much more user- friendly that my OMAS pens are relegated to the "unused" section of the collection. Except the Milord. It works as a signature pen for checks.

OMAS has been one of those pen companies that I wish was better. ...

I so wanted to love these pens -- and in some odd ways, I still do -- but they seemed determined to be vexing. ...

If you still love them, maybe it would be worth cycling them through a high-end repair person. It doesn't sound like any of the problems is uncorrectable. And now that there likely won't be any more OMAS pens coming, you would be contributing to the world's remaining supply by having these put in order.

ron

OMAS has been one of those pen companies that I wish was better. I have only four -- a 360 fountain pen and roller ball set, the design of which I LOVE, but which leaked like a sieve; a Tokyo, designed by Ettore Sottsass,,that I got on sale at Fahrney's lo these many moons ago, and that proved to be quite finicky; and a Paragon Milord with a broad nib that fits my hand perfectly, but the extra broad nib has such a bad case of baby's bottom that it is profoundly frustrating to write with.

I so wanted to love these pens -- and in some odd ways, I still do -- but they seemed determined to be vexing. And my Auroras, Viscontis, Deltas, and my lone Tibaldi/Giorgio Armani, are so much more user- friendly that my OMAS pens are relegated to the "unused" section of the collection. Except the Milord. It works as a signature pen for checks.

It is so strange how problem pens/ brands cluster. You have had a disproportionate problem with Omas pens, yet Visconti has been solid for you.

I, OTOH, have 15+ Omas pens, and never had a problem, but something like 80% of the Viscontis I've owned (past tense) needed professional intervention to even write properly.

Not really helping, but really find it odd how that clustering happens.

I agree with rwilsonedn, too. It might make sense to have your Omas repaired. You could then use them, or sell them if they no longer strike your fancy. Better than having them be the FP equivalents of a Mustang convertible under a tarp in the garage.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I'll take the Milord off your hands. How much?

I know this is a belated response, but it is the end of the school year, so I have less time for FPN.

Having been in China now for close to two years, I can say that all the pens I bought here write the short strokes needed for Chinese smoothly. When you write in the longer loops of Western cursive, they become the scratchy nails disparaged by many. The same observation applies to every rollerball I pick up in China. They write wonderfully wet and smooth for short strokes and horridly skippy for longer cursive loops.

I think if a manufacturer has their nibs ground to write short strokes better than long ones, they will sell more pens in China, and that increased sales could help support the lower volume Western markets.

A local newspaper says the final answer will be given 12/02/2016 (or 02/12/2016) regarding omas and it's fate. As that is the final news I have found, I would like to know if anyone can confirm omas death.

Their site is still up

Yes, 100% confirmed. All but a few employees already laid off, all forms of trade ceased. I am surprised the web site is still up.The article refers to a meeting with potential buyers that led nowhere.

Perhaps I was just unlucky, but the three I had all had piston leakage problems. I still prefer Aurora.

But probably Pelikan overall.

+1

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Perhaps this is ultimately what Capitalism brings about: neither prosperity nor security for most people, but certainly a more boring, flattened, and homogeneous world (think Mont Blanc everywhere!) for everyone. What a world today!

Haha I agree completely with that sentiment! But the reality is somewhat different - there are new brands emerging and a lot of younger people are becoming interested in all things "craft." However, too late for OMAS. RIP

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

The nice people from Omas were fully convinced that the fountainpennetwork members would be helping them. The good thing is that they know now.

I have a guilty number of OMAS; and so have been particularly sad at their demise (not to mention sorrow for the fabulous staff who have lost their jobs). The wonderful thing about fountain pens is that they don't suddenly disintegrate but last for more than a lifetime - so the good news is that in spite of it all, OMAS, its wonderful celluloids, designs and nibs, lives and shall live for quite some time to come.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take the Milord off your hands. How much?

As I said, while I find them vexing at times, I plan on keeping them. The Milord certainly.

• 4 weeks later...

Those are gorgeous, love the Greek Key on the cap. I'd heard several Omas mentioned in YouTube videos that I had written down only to discover they went out of business. Hopefully I can find them someday on ebay. They looked like a fantastic pen.

I can't adapt myself to the idea that Omas went bankruptcy and disappeared...

It is is not just another of the many brands of fine Italian pens: Omas had a long and great history as a symbol of distinction and perfection in pen craftsmanship.

I am proud to have a few (too few) pens of this great brand, which I treasure as a legacy.

In the last few days I spent some time on the net searching for classic Omas, both modern and vintage, and they almost disappeared from the face of Earth. Too late to love them, too late to save them...

I can't believe it.

Here are two of my treasures.

SaveSave

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.” Bill Wilson