Parker 21 Super

jctsoares

"Parker 21 Super" fountain pen from '52-65. This, at least half a century old, little brother of the famous Parker 51 writes a nice fine line again after I fully serviced it. It was full of dried up old ink, metal protector of the aerometric filler was broken and was pretty dirty on the inside. Had to put it in warm water for a few days to manage to disassemble it without breaking anything! Bought it online by mistake, thinking it could be a 51 (images not very clear and cheap ...). First I was a bit dissapointed but after disassembly it turned out to be the improved Super edition of the 21 which has the same octanium nib and collector as the 51. :-) Now it's ready to write for another 50 years. :-)

But ... a day later each time I take off the cap the section has some condensation on the outside and I wonder if any of you ever experienced the same on this or any other pen? This old section doesn't have any cracks but it is shrinked and stained/discolored. Can it be porous? The humidity is clear and doesn't stain when I wipe it off. So it looks as if it sweats ... tried to take a pic just now but few seconds later when I try to focus the camera the drops are gone!

26324422000_9dbb7cb082_c.jpgP_20160423_163545 by João Carlos Soares, no Flickr

26597508255_4a7d694742_c.jpgP_20160423_172223 by João Carlos Soares, no Flickr

Edited by jctsoares

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jctsoares

• pajaro

• mitto

• DustyR

I am no Parker expert but I thought the P51 had a gold nib.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Maybe I should refrase. The 21 Super has the same collector, feed and nib shape as the P51 but with a shorter breathing tube and the nib is octanium in stead of gold just as in the low cost P51 Special. The regular P51 had a much simpler collector/feed and normal nib. Not the tiny round nib as in the 51.

Any idea about the sweating section? Or how to solve it?

The "regular" 51s (i.e., 51 Vacumatics and Aerometrics) did. The 51 Specials had an octanium nib, and a hoop filler rather than the aerometric filler of the 51 Aerometric models. 21s have a similar nib and filler to the 51 Specials, but were made of a more brittle type of plastic. I'm not sure of the distinctions between 21s, so-called "Super" 21s, and the 51 Specials, though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Did you let the parts dry after soaking them for many days?

No I didn't, just wiped it all clean and put it back together ... so I'm just hoping that it's only water evaporating from the soaking ... if that's the case it will pass and I'm a happy 21 super owner ... if not I wonder if there's any fix. Maybe I'm worrying too early but it would be a shame if the section is porous cause it's such a nice writer.

Today's update, it's still showing some very tiny drops on the most weared off areas of the section that coincide with the areas where it shrunk. But it's becoming less. Só what I think is that it's somewhat porous on the outside and the sucked in water is now coming out. If it would come from the ink inside it would become worse and not less, right? Let's hope that's it. I'll keep you all posted.

"Parker 21 Super" fountain pen from '52-65. This, at least half a century old, little brother of the famous Parker 51 writes a nice fine line again after I fully serviced it. It was full of dried up old ink, metal protector of the aerometric filler was broken and was pretty dirty on the inside. Had to put it in warm water for a few days to manage to disassemble it without breaking anything! Bought it online by mistake, thinking it could be a 51 (images not very clear and cheap ...). First I was a bit dissapointed but after disassembly it turned out to be the improved Super edition of the 21 which has the same octanium nib and collector as the 51. :-) Now it's ready to write for another 50 years. :-)

But ... a day later each time I take off the cap the section has some condensation on the outside and I wonder if any of you ever experienced the same on this or any other pen? This old section doesn't have any cracks but it is shrinked and stained/discolored. Can it be porous? The humidity is clear and doesn't stain when I wipe it off. So it looks as if it sweats ... tried to take a pic just now but few seconds later when I try to focus the camera the drops are gone!

26324422000_9dbb7cb082_c.jpgP_20160423_163545 by João Carlos Soares, no Flickr

26597508255_4a7d694742_c.jpgP_20160423_172223 by João Carlos Soares, no Flickr

When living in Pensacola in northwest Florida, near Alabama, I used to sometimes have a bit of condensation inside my 51, in the summer. I would wipe it off. It gets pretty hot in Pensacola, up to about 97 F. Humidity is very high also. This didn't happen in the winter. In Michigan nothing of the sort happens, and it is cooler. I liked Florida better, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

When living in Pensacola in northwest Florida, near Alabama, I used to sometimes have a bit of condensation inside my 51, in the summer. I would wipe it off. It gets pretty hot in Pensacola, up to about 97 F. Humidity is very high also. This didn't happen in the winter. In Michigan nothing of the sort happens, and it is cooler. I liked Florida better, though.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll keep that in mind but I don't think that can be the reason in my case or at least I would be very surprised! It has been around 22 ℃ (+/- 75℉) and not very humid. Climate here in the Algarve is Mediterranean and never saw this on any of my other pens. Your explanation would suggest that the water of the ink would evaporate inside the cap through the nib and feed and then condens on the section ... doesn't make much sense to me but I guess it would be possible ...

OK, I just checked, pen has been capped all day and it's completely dry! :-)

So I think that icardoth had it right, it was just water from the soaking period coming out of the cap or the section.

Scribbled some and started right out of the box without any hesitation, can't say the same of all my other pens. I think I'm gonna like this little pen a lot! :-)

Thank you all for your feedback and help. If the condensation ever comes back maybe it's because of what pajaro explained but I don't expect that. I really think that icardoth had it right and I just didn't wait long enough for all the pieces to dry before I reassembled the pen and this must have caused the condensation of "sweating" on the section.

Edited by jctsoares

I've had this happen, and it was almost certainly caused by residual water left in the cap. The P21 Super is a great little pen. I almost always have one inked.

Looks like I worried too soon and must have been either water in the cap or maybe the exterior of the section. Pen section has been dry for the last few days.

Next minor problem, trim is too loose ... so it doesn't stay fixed in my shirt front pocket. I tried to figure out how to disassembly the cap but without any success. The top rotates with pliers but very difficult and doesn't unscrew. On the inside is a white plastic inner cap with a metal tube inside that holds 4 springs.I think that behind the top of the inner cap must be a little screw that holds the top of the cap and the trim in place but I have no clue on how to remove the inner cap. Any ideas?

Insert a pencil eraser into the cap to hold the inner cap steady and you should be able to spin the "jewel" nut off. Be careful with pliers, though, as you can strip the chrome off older brass jewels.

The way to remove the jewel on a 51 is to hold a rubber piece, like one of the pads you use to remove jar lids, to the jewel and turn it exerting pressure. I think the same method will work on a Super 21.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

The way to remove the jewel on a 51 is to hold a rubber piece, like one of the pads you use to remove jar lids, to the jewel and turn it exerting pressure. I think the same method will work on a Super 21.

This doesn't work. "Jewel" turns (using pliers) but doesn't unscrew. But thanks for your answer.

Edited by jctsoares

Insert a pencil eraser into the cap to hold the inner cap steady and you should be able to spin the "jewel" nut off. Be careful with pliers, though, as you can strip the chrome off older brass jewels.

To be honest I didn't notice if inner cap moves together with the top cap when I turn the top of the cap. Will check and try this method using something to keep inner cap in place.

Edited by jctsoares

This doesn't work. "Jewel" turns (using pliers) but doesn't unscrew. But thanks for your answer.

Use a pliers on your own pens.

I bought a rubber pad thing that unscrewed jewels on 51 fountain pen and ballpoint without scoring the jewels.

...The regular P51 had a much simpler collector/feed and normal nib. Not the tiny round nib as in the 51...

Couldn't follow your statement on the 'regular P51's normal nib' and the 'tiny round nib as in the 51'. Would you please explain?

Khan M. Ilyas

I think they meant the standard Parker 21 the first time since it did have a simple traditional nib and feed instead of the conical "51 style" nib on the P21 Super.

I think they meant the standard Parker 21 the first time since it did have a simple traditional nib and feed instead of the conical "51 style" nib on the P21 Super.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant the standard P21 which didn't have a P51 liké nib. The P21 Super has the same nib in octanium, collector and feed as the P51 Special.

Edited by jctsoares

Use a pliers on your own pens.

I bought a rubber pad thing that unscrewed jewels on 51 fountain pen and ballpoint without scoring the jewels.

I didn't use the pliers directly but put some rubber padding in between.