Personal Stationery Recommendations

DNC

I need to buy personal stationery, but I keep putting it off because I know nothing about the subject. Would appreciate suggestions of where to start my education before making such a purchase. Thank you.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DNC

• T4TEXAS

• zwack

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

We can be of more help if you would describe what you want to use it for. Personal notes? Thank you notes? Personal letters? Expensive or no? Tell us as much as you can.

Edited to fit the request.

Edited by T4TEXAS

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Others may differ, but I would suggest half letter size rather than 8 1/2 by 11 letter size for personal correspondence. Letter size gives the impression of a more formal or business-like missive.

Edited by T4TEXAS

- Jack London

Others may differ, but I would suggest half letter size rather than 8 1/2 by 11 letter size for personal correspondence. Letter size gives the impression of a more formal or business-like missive.

I prefer the letter size in my case. Thank you.

Okay. Then can you elaborate on your question.

- Jack London

Okay. Then can you elaborate on your question.

I am sorry, I don't understand. What more would you like to know? Thank you.

Ivory paper and lined envelopes from France, then I sleep well and dream of stationery. :wub: Lalo, Vergé de France is not that expensive.

I'm a big fan of Clairefontaine Triomphe. I use the A5 size paper and envelopes, but they also have A4 size. That is not exactly the same dimensions as US letter; i.e., not 8.5 x 11 inches, but it's close: 8.3 x 11.7 inches.

Anyway it is nice paper and not horribly expensive.

I can recommend Crane paper. Very expensive, but exquisite. I have only used it in the exec half size, but you can google Crane for more info. Other than that, you could go to a local paper company and ask for samples of whatever papers appeal to you. Or ask a printer for samples if you plan on having them printed. Hope this is helpful.

Edited by T4TEXAS

- Jack London

I strongly recommend that you read The Unroyal Warrant's series of three blog posts on Smythson stationery. Here is a link to the first:

https://unroyalwarrant.com/2015/05/17/smythson-mega-review-part-1-12-writing-papers-reviewed/

He has some posts on other brands as well, that you can easily find by searching his blog.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I strongly recommend that you read The Unroyal Warrant's series of three blog posts on Smythson stationery. Here is a link to the first:

https://unroyalwarrant.com/2015/05/17/smythson-mega-review-part-1-12-writing-papers-reviewed/

He has some posts on other brands as well, that you can easily find by searching his blog.

Jim, This is a great article. It is most helpful!

And if you like fancier paper, Rossi 1931 has classy designs, excellent quality paper, and a wide range of styles. Full sized sheets:

https://www.papierplume.com/medioevalis-writing-pad-and-envelopes-8-25-x-11-75-inches.html

Their products are also on Massdrop with some regularity. If you ever get to Europe, Rossi stationery is easy to find and at a lower price, due to not having import tax from Italy.

I also like Clairefontaine Triomphe in A4 size... but I like ISO paper sizes.

It is hard to make a suggestion for sure without knowing what you want.

Do you want an engraved letterhead on your paper? Do you want a letterpressed letterhead? Do you want matching envelopes? Do you just want plain paper?

For plain paper I am using Clairfontaine in A4 with matching envelopes. The downside is that it looks like a business letter, but it is good paper.

If I wanted something slightly more personal looking I would go for the A5 size (literally half the size) which is folded twice to go into an envelope (A4 is folded three times).

I hope that this helps.

I also like Clairefontaine Triomphe in A4 size... but I like ISO paper sizes.

It is hard to make a suggestion for sure without knowing what you want.

Do you want an engraved letterhead on your paper? Do you want a letterpressed letterhead? Do you want matching envelopes? Do you just want plain paper?

For plain paper I am using Clairfontaine in A4 with matching envelopes. The downside is that it looks like a business letter, but it is good paper.

If I wanted something slightly more personal looking I would go for the A5 size (literally half the size) which is folded twice to go into an envelope (A4 is folded three times).

I hope that this helps.

I was looking for a place/website to learn more about stationery as I knew very little about the subject. All the question you ask were my questions as I knew nothing about this subject. I could not say at the beginning if I wanted engraved or letter pressed stationery as I did not know the difference. I contacted some of the companies suggested and found Smythson the most helpful by far, explaining the difference in paper, engraving, etc. I think I am off to a good start now.

This is always a grand place to start! I've been using Clairefontaine Triomph happily since the Goulets started carrying it. Very fountain pen friendly paper.

Engraving is fancier and more expensive, they will make a plate by hand just for you. The ink is put onto the plate and wiped off leaving it in the cuts in the plate. The paper is then pressed against the plate leaving the ink raised on the paper.

Letterpress takes individual letters and places them in a holder, these are then covered in ink and pressed into the paper leaving the letters slightly impressed into the paper.

Letterpress is cheaper as the letters aren't individually made just for you.

You can have plain or printed envelopes that match the letterhead.

Then you have your choice of paper size, type and colour.

Cheapest is to use off the shelf stationery which is either plain, has a design on it, or a simple initial (after all they can print 26 sets and guarantee that they will already have one with your initial).

So it sounds like you want personalised stationery not just personal stationery. In that case if you really want to make an impression then engraved is the way to go, consider carefully what you want it to say. If it is engraved then perhaps just your name and a design. Your address could change, and you probably don't want to have to throw the paper away (along with the cost of the engraving plate).

If the details you want are likely to change then perhaps letterpress. The set up fee is smaller and not reusable (they won't keep the type sitting in the frame in case you want to order more in five years). Letterpress stationery can be as attractive. I have seen some sites claiming that letterpress uses a polymer plate. That isn't what I was thinking about, I was thinking of hand composited cold metal type as done by fine press printers... (I haven't done any since about 1987).

Other options include thermography which deposits a powder onto wet ink and then fuses it to provide an embossed image (not as nice as engraving or letterpress in my opinion).

As for paper size, I like the ISO sizes myself (A4 or A5) but if that doesn't suit then how about a slightly odd size like Foolscap Folio (8 1/2" × 13 1/2")

Given that you presumably want your stationery to stand out then an unusual size will help.

Edited by zwack

DNC, do let us know what you end up doing.

- Jack London