Recommend Me A Pen

Nyssa

Hi FPN! I have been reading posts on here for awhile but am just now starting to post. I have just gotten into fountain pen's in the past few years. The director of my graduate program gave me my first (a cross century II) upon graduation and I've been hooked ever since. Since then I have acquired a few more.

I am sure you all get this question a lot, so I apologize in advance, but I wanted to get some recommendations for my next pen. I've gotten the itch to buy a new one (I'm telling myself it is to commemorate by first year as a professor), but I cannot decide what to get. So here are my thoughts on what I would like and a list of the pens I have:

I would like to stay under the $150 area. I know at that price point I won't get an all around amazing pen. I would, however, like it to be special in some way. So I would like something that is spectacular in some capacity, either in the way it looks, writes or feels to hold. I am also open to something that is just interesting and will expand my knowledge of fountain pens (for example I am considering a TWSBI vac mini simply because I don't have a vac fill pen).

The pens I currently have are: Waterman Hemisphere, Lamy 2000, Lamy Safari, Pilot Vanishing Point, Pilot Metropolitan, and a Pelikan M205 DUO. All are fine point nibs.

So, I know that is a pretty open question but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nyssa

• lyonlover

• PaganArcher

• latetotheparty

Don't be sorry! We're all looking for our next fix ;)

I've had my Sheaffer Legacy 2 for about 3 weeks now, and it's my pride and joy (not just for being my most expensive pen). It's a large-ish pen (I think probably just a hair thicker than your Lamy 2000) and weighs about as much as your Vanishing Point, and is a lovely pen to behold... mine is black lacquer with gold trim. A classy pen it is. It also has a TD filler that works pretty well (I think). I got mine for $175 new, but that took me quite a while to find.

A Parker 45 Flighter would be really cool too. They don't cost too much (even NOS), but are great writers. They can be found at around the $50 mark or less.

Oh, and the Sheaffer 444 is nice too. I've never used one, but they look cool. They cost around $50-60 NOS. In case you didn't notice, I really like the stainless "flighter" look. I feel like a flighter pen would resist scratches better than my lacquered Legacy (mine has no scratches on it yet, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get the pen refinished if I do scratch it).

It'd be cool to add an American fountain pen to your collection! And welcome to the community! We're glad to have you here.

Edited by lyonlover

If you're looking for a 'different' pen, how about Waterman Carene? I absolutely love mine. It writes like a dream, it is very comfortable and its design is very unique. You can find it in different finishes. Mine is Black Sea with Silver Trim (usually referred to as CT, but it is silver, not Chrome) and I really enjoy it.

You can have a look at some threads by Force. Force does an amazing job restoring and tuning many abused Carenes. You can get inspired :)

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

I am sure you have read it here already, but the Japanese F nibs run finer than Western Fines. At your price point there are many amazing offerings - my preference in F has been Sailor - 1911 or Pro Gear but as suggested the 3776 is an excellent choice. That was the pen that got me started with Japanese pens - but their M is more in line with "finer than medium but not hairline". Pilot too makes excellent pens - the 74 and 91 are excellent value for money (under $100) and the 92 if you want a piston filler. If you want something with an interesting nib, the Pilot Falcon squeaks in under the $150 mark. The key to buying Japanese pens is to try and get them as close to the source as possible - so either Japanese sellers or Amazon - the North American markup on those pens is absolutely brutal. $150 can net you a pen that will last you years and still be able to surprise you every now and then, but you have to buy strategically. All the best!

Thanks for the suggestions! I do not know much about sailors so I will look into them.

While I am drawn to waterman because I love the Hemisphere I have (probably my favorite pen and smoothest writer followed closely by the vanishing point), I really just don't like the way Carene look for some reason. I don't know why, they just look odd to me. So that one's out.

The Platinum looks like a really good option. I am curious about the standard price of it though. On amazon right now it is $77. Everywhere else it seems to be about $170. Why is that? (incidentally this is one of the things that has made learning about and deciding on a new pen challenging. There frequently seems to be vast variation in the prices of pens that seems to be the same thing)

I really like the idea of adding a vintage pen to my collection so the Parker 51 and the Sheaffer 444. I have also heard that the waverly nibs on the 444's make them write more smoothly in smaller tips then a lot of other pens so that's definitely a bonus (if true, I'm still learning.).

Thanks for the suggestions! I do not know much about sailors so I will look into them.

While I am drawn to waterman because I love the Hemisphere I have (probably my favorite pen and smoothest writer followed closely by the vanishing point), I really just don't like the way Carene look for some reason. I don't know why, they just look odd to me. So that one's out.

The Platinum looks like a really good option. I am curious about the standard price of it though. On amazon right now it is $77. Everywhere else it seems to be about $170. Why is that? (incidentally this is one of the things that has made learning about and deciding on a new pen challenging. There frequently seems to be vast variation in the prices of pens that seems to be the same thing)

I really like the idea of adding a vintage pen to my collection so the Parker 51 and the Sheaffer 444. I have also heard that the waverly nibs on the 444's make them write more smoothly in smaller tips then a lot of other pens so that's definitely a bonus (if true, I'm still learning.).

The $77 is from a Japanese seller versus a North American seller. That is why shawndp says to "buy strategically". Last November I bought a Pelikan M200 Cognac (F) from a Japanese seller on Amazon. Paid $100 for it. Domestically it would have been $140 or more if I could locate a dealer with it in stock. And that is for a German pen! I have looked a couple of times at Platinum 3776's (my favorite is the Borgougne color, but the Chartres Blue comes close) but either didn't buy or bought something else. (the Cognac)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The 444 doesn't really have a true "waverly" nib, but Sheaffer inlaid nibs in general do have the nib toward the tipping turned up a little. It's probably inherited from the design of the PFM, which had to have clearance for the snorkel tube. But otherwise, I don't know why the nibs are turned up.

The inlaid nib on my Legacy 2 is no smoother than any open or hooded nib, and mine is a fine. It never skips though!

Since you price range is $150, I would suggest a Delta. Deltas are made in Italy and are beautiful. All of the Deltas that I own are wet and wonderful writers. I would suggest a Fusion Nib (18K gold overplayed on a steel nib) or a 18K gold nib. There are several really nice Deltas for sale right now in the Classifieds section. There is also an eBay seller, Martemodena, that is fairly reliable. The downside is the postage and custom fees.

If you were willing to spend more than that I would recommend a Franklin Christoph pen (www.franklin-christoph.com). Gorgeous pens and fantastic writers. I have the Panther 40 fitted with a Matsuyama 14K medium italic semi-flex nib. Outstanding!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

You have a great selection of pens, and you can branch out and consider a range of pens from the 40s and 50s. Several great and reputable restorers are ready to sell some excellent fountain pens.

For 1/3 of your budget, you can get a Parker 45 or Esterbrook J. Both are outstanding pens, have replaceable nibs, and are a breeze to use and maintain. Both can become collections by themselves.

For less than your budget, you can enjoy several styles of Sheaffer fountain pens from the Balance, Snorkel, or other lines of fantastic pens.

For around your budget, you need to look at a Parker "51." Start with a nice aero filler, and you'll have a pen you'll use for another 5 decades with little to no maintenance. The "51" has a well-deserved reputation, and it's easily a pen that you will remember. Fortunately, it can also become the fountain of a memorable (and expensive) collection.

Buzz

I just noticed the name of this thread. I'll have the grammar police deliver it to you.

Sailor is your next best bet!

My first one is the memorable moments we had.

It's the second in that that impresses me.

Noteworthy, the third, is how you've always been.

There it is, the last one, let it all combine: my love.

You all have given me a lot to think about! I appreciate it. After doing some research I think I have narrowed it down to three broad options.

1) Parker 51 Aerometric. I know that I eventually want a Parker 51 to add to the collection. Because of that I am leaning towards this option right now. The struggle will be finding the right one from the right person since there are so many out there.

2) Edison. I am really drawn to the Edison pens. I love the two-tone nib and the swirl finishes. I am hesitant to purchase a Collier Persimmon Swirl, however, without seeing and holding one in person. I don't love large pens. I don't hate them, but I don't love them. So I would want to see how it felt. Also the design is quite loud in a way that I could love or hate. I would need to see it in person. That said, the Nouveau Premier Cappuccino looks amazing and is closer to the size of pen I normally like. I also like that you can swap the nibs easily so i can try different sized nibs.

3) I may wait, save some more money, and purchase a Franklin-Christoph with either an extra fine nib or a medium stub. All of their pens looks beautiful to me and get great reviews. I just don't know which one to pick. I'm leaning toward the pocket 66.

Edited by Nyssa

I second the Platinum 3776, except mine is the Music Nib. If you're looking for a stubby nib with a nice wet line, go for that.

Mate, the legendary P51. :)

Professor, you have a taste for "classic" styles.

I concur. The Parker 51 Aerometric was cutting edge of its time. There features inside that you will never see. In its day, everyone who could have one had one. Eisenhower, DeGaul, Roosevelt, my Dad. In 1950, the Parker 51 was designed to be airline travel compatible. No Parker fountain pen since has been otherwise. In the near future, add the Parker 45 and the Parker Vacumatic.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have a vintage Geha fountain pen from the 1950's, most likely one of the "Schulfüller"* (school/student's fountain pen), which I love dearly.
It's a piston filler, with a lovely, surprisingly soft nib and a simple but classy design, as well as a rather clever reserve tank function, which makes the pen very unique indeed; I'm pretty sure it's the only pen with a reserve tank.

Finding one in working order might take a bit of searching, but I've seen some in very good condition for about (and occasionally far less than) 60€.

*couldn't find my exact cap design so far, but the rest is an exact match, so...

I like all my pens,a variety of old school (waterman leman 100, pelikan m400 in black and gold) and cheaper no nonsense pens (lamy vistas, muji), but I just received this... Faber castell Ambition in pearwood...

fpn_1461785137__img_20160427_141550.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell