New Home For Nemosine Singularity Nib?

majolo

I just got a Nemosine Singularity with the 0.8mm italic nib, and I think I'll like the nib a lot but the glaring design flaw* in the pen is going to drive me nuts sooner or later. Anyone happen to know of any compatible pen bodies for this nib?

* the design flaw for those who don't know the pen: the cap screws onto the section (instead of the body like basically every other screw cap) so when you unscrew the cap you have a chance that the body just unscrews from the section instead.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• majolo

• Randal6393

• pepsiplease69

• PaganArcher

I have *never* had the problem you describe. But, to answer your question the pen uses a number 6 nib and it should fit a wide variety of pens.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hmm, well I'll see how it works in practice... I just know I saw the issue in SBRE Brown's review.

I'm just honestly the sort of person who's likely to be bothered in the back of my mind knowing that it's a possibility. Thanks for the info.

I think the issue was fixed in newer runs. But if it does happen, it fits on a Noodler's Ahab fairly well. I liked mine for a while before switching back.

It fits in a lot of pens with #6 size nibs. I had it fitted on a TWSBI Vac700, TWSBI Micarta, and Franklin-Christoph pens before...

I have 0.8 Nemosine nibs in Konrads, Ahabs, Conklin pens, and the Singularity Demonstrators. My only problem with the Singularity is that it is a plastic body and relatively fragile. Am willing to put up with the body as the nib is spectacular. With a minimum of honing, the nib gives a cursive or crisp italic line that better than many.

So my favorite nib is the Goulet (JoWo) 1.1 mm nib and the Nemosine is a close second. Have went through a half-dozen Nemosine bodies but the nibs live on -- in other pens.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

My Nemosine Singularity has never had the body come away from the section when I try to unscrew the cap. I wasn't aware of this issue until this thread.

However, I tossed the converter (into a drawer) before ever filling it, added a five cent O-ring and a touch of silicone grease to the body threads. It works like a charm as an eyedropper.

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

* the design flaw for those who don't know the pen: the cap screws onto the section (instead of the body like basically every other screw cap) so when you unscrew the cap you have a chance that the body just unscrews from the section instead.

This problem used to drive me nuts.

The way I'm dealing with it now is to tighten the barrel onto the section a little tighter than usual. The whole thing is quite fragile so I have to do it very carefully.

Then I just tighten only lightly while capping and uncapping the pen. That way I never run into the problem.

Heck of a design flaw though. Never seen this on any other pen, for good reason.

The singularity with a 0.8 nib, for me is a very heavily used pen. It stays in my carry-everywhere bag and gets tossed around QUITE a bit. No issues whatever other than that. Very happy with the pen.

I bought an ebonite Konrad as an alternative body, but to be fair I've not had the Nemosine body unscrew by accident yet. I think the Konrad feed is ebonite; does anyone know if it would work all right with the Nemosine nib in the Konrad body, or would it be better to keep the nib and feed together?

You should not have any problem with putting the Nemosine nib into a Konrad using the original ebonite feed. I have a few fitted out that way.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

The nib can also be put on a Nemosine Fission. Made by the same company with metal construction.

I made the transfer to the ebonite Konrad last night, and as a bonus the ebonite feed opened up the nib a trifle so it has a bit better flow! Thanks again to all for the advice.

• 4 months later...

I'm basically indifferent on the Nemosine Singularity. It's a little small for me so I don't use it much. BUT ...of all the steel nibs I've used since delving into the fountain pen hobby, the Singularity was one of if not the best out-of-the-box writing experiences.

Dollar for dollar, perhaps my favorite 'affordable' set up is a Nemosine nib in a Noodler's Ahab. I made a little video of my Nemosine nib installed in an Ahab:

https://youtu.be/PGm3i6Olpiw

I recently tried to fix a Knox 1.9 nib into an Ahab and the Ahab feed didn't sit flush with the nib so I had to heat set the feed.

(Kind of an off topic factoid but I thought I just put it out there being that the same retailer xFountainPens sells both knox and nemosine)

It's good to see I'm not the only one putting Nemosine nibs into better bodies... I have a Nemosine #5 1.1 stub in my Visconti Van Gogh right now..... a lovely combination in my opinion....

I use a Nemosine 0.8mm stub in my TWSBI Vac700 these days at my desk. Perfect combination for my desk needs with Diamine Ancient Copper flowing in a completely different manner than it did from stock medium nib.

To keep the cap from unscrewing the whole works, spread a layer of silicone grease on the section-to-barrel threads, just as you would if you were using the Singularity in E/D mode. When tightening, give it one extra little twist.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I have *never* had the problem you describe. But, to answer your question the pen uses a number 6 nib and it should fit a wide variety of pens.

+++ I've had six Nemosine pens for over two years, perhaps longer, and never had any problems. I do appreciate the other information as to where to use the Nemo's nibs.

Thank you

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I prefer extra fine nibs, and had a Jinhao x750 in need of one. I was considering the Goulet extra fine, but it looked too fat (I prefer Japanese extra fine), so when I came across a Nemosine EF for only $7, I took a gamble and it's now one of my favorites - the one I got is close to a Metropolitan fine and a TWSBI Eco EF. I found it shockingly smooth for a $7 nib (I did smooth it a little more).

Now I'm sore tempted to get a Singularity just to see if the pen body as bad as everyone says, or as good as everyone else says... :lol: