The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review: Rohrer And Klingner Scabiosa

scabiosa rk aubergine clairefontaine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainAnnoyed

CaptainAnnoyed

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2016 - 13:09

Here's a quick review of what has become my favorite ink! The paper used in the first image is clairefontaine 90g, and the text is written with a jinhao x750 (goulet f nib). In the second image, I used a pelikan m200 (m) for the bold lettering, and the jinhao turned upside down for the rest of the text. The paper comes from a twsbi notebook.

Color reproduction of the scans isn't exceptional, but I tried my best to make them look similar to what the ink looks on paper.

Eeb7pZK.jpg?1

Keep in mind that the ink darkens as it oxidizes, so in a couple of days the color looks darker than above (Almost black, as I said, when using a wet pen).

Some additional thoughts:

JWPHLt1.jpg?1

Sponsored Content

#2 effrafax

effrafax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2016 - 14:22

Thanks for the review.  I'm waiting for this ink to arrive in the mail, so am glad to see I've made a good choice!

Cheers,
Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"
Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

#3 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2016 - 15:36

It's nice ink but to dry for me.

#4 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 15:57

Scabiosa also continues to change color over the course of months.  In one of my notebooks, it turns to a coppery lilac over time.

Effrafax, an important point about Scabiosa is that it can look very different, depending on the paper.  If you try it on one paper and it looks paler than you expect--a complaint I've seen in some threads--try a different paper.    

#5 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2016 - 19:05

One of my very favorites. Color varies so much according to nib and paper, and it behaves in a very distinctive manner. Very sharp edges, and it lies flat on the page, if that makes sense.  

#6 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2016 - 20:02

A great ink, thanks for the review. I'll need to ink up a pen soon and this is on the short list.

#7 effrafax

effrafax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:28

Scabiosa also continues to change color over the course of months.  In one of my notebooks, it turns to a coppery lilac over time.

Effrafax, an important point about Scabiosa is that it can look very different, depending on the paper.  If you try it on one paper and it looks paler than you expect--a complaint I've seen in some threads--try a different paper.    

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I have quite a few different papers to try ...

Cheers,
Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"
Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:20

Great Job!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#9 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:51

Previously decided not to go IG, you managed to make me reconsider. Thanx

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#10 cleosmama

cleosmama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:57

Interesting--but I have also found that R & K Cassia changes color over time, too. I first listed it among my purple inks, but over time it has become grey, as has Noodler's Purple Martin. 

#11 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:39

Great review of a great ink.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scabiosa, rk, aubergine, clairefontaine

Sponsored Content

|